New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 224
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

erected here under the late acts of par-
liament. Sharow Lodge is the seat of
Mrs. Cayley; and Lucan House, in
this township, is the seat of George
Knowles, Esq.

Sharrow Head, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Eccleshall Bier-
low, parish of Sheffield, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 1 mile S. W.
from Sheffield.

Shaw, N. R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of Hurst, parish of Marrick,
wapentake of Gilling West, 3 miles N.
from Reeth.

Shaw, N. R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of High Abbotside, parish of
Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang West,
1ยง mile N. from Hawes.

Shawcote, N. R. (1) a hamlet in
the township of Low Abbotside, parish
of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang West,
3 miles W. from Askrigg.

Shaw Cross, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Soothill, parish of
Dewsbury, wapentake of Agbrigg, 2
miles N. E. from Dewsbury.

Shaw Hall, W. R. (7) a hamlet
^in the township of Quick, parish of
Rochdale, Lancashire, wapentake of
2 miles S.W. from Dobcross.

Sheep House, W. R. (8) a small
hamlet in the township of Langsett, pa-
rish of Penistone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 2 miles S. from Penistone.

Sheepwash, W. R. (4) a small
hamlet in the township of Rathmeil,
parish of Giggleswick, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 3 miles S. W. from Settle.

Sheffield, W. R. (8) a parish,
township, and market town, in the wa-
pentake of Strafforth and Tickhill,
miles S.W. from Rotherham, 55 S. S.W.
from York, 162 from London; inhabi-
tants, 42,157; the church is a vicar-
age, anciently dedicated to St. Peter,
but now called Trinity Church, value
12/. 15s.
2%d.; patron, Philip Gell,
Esq.; two other churches, St. Paul’s
and St. James’s, are, properly speak-
ing, chapelries dependant on the mo-
ther church; market, Tuesday and
Saturday; fairs, Tuesday in Trinity
week, and November 28. Sheffield is
not, properly speaking, a corporate
town, the company of “ The Cutlers
of Hallamshire,” erected by act of par-
liament, in 1624, having authority only
over matters relative to their own
manufacture; this corporation consists
of about 600 members, under the go-
vernment of a master, two wardens,
six searchers, and twenty-four assist-
ants ; and they have a place for trans-
acting business, called Cutlers’ Hall, si-
tuated on the south side of the church-
yard. The Town Trust is a sort of
corporation, embodied by act of parlia-
ment, in 1554, by the name of “ The
Twelve capital Burgesses and Common-
alty of the town and parish of Sheffield,”
who have the direction of the profits
of various lands heretofore bequeathed
for public uses. Sheffield has at no
time sent members to parliament. Here
is a free grammar school, endowed, in
1603, by Thomas Smith, of Crowland,
an attorney, a native of Sheffield, “ for
bringing up young children in godliness
and learning.” Near the bridge is the
hospital of Gilbert Earl of Shrewsbury,
founded by his great grandson, the Earl
of Norwich, in 1616; the building con-
sists of two quadrangles, each contain-
ing eighteen dwellings, affording a com-
fortable asylum for as many decayed
housekeepers of both sexes : a bequest
of 6000/. from the Duke of Norfolk,
in 1770, was chiefly applied to the en-
largement of the chapel, which is cal-
culated to contain a large congregation.
St. Leonard’s hospital, once situated
on Spiral Hill, was destroyed by the
sweeping fury of Henry VIII.; and the
old alms-houses, at the foot of Lady
Bridge, were removed on its improve-
ment in the year 1767: on the north
side of the town is an hospital for six-
teen poor cutlers’ widows, and also a
school, both erected by Thomas Hol-
lis, Esq., in 1703. The other charity


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.