Stepney, N. R. (3) a hamlet in
the township of Falsgrave, parish of
Scarborough, wapentake of Pickering
Lythe, 2 miles W. from Scarborough.
Stillingfleet, E. R. (5) a parish
and township with Moreby, in the wa-
pentake of Ouse and Derwent, 7 miles
S. from York; inhabitants, 4,04 ; a vi-
carage, value 9l, 7s. 6d.; patron, the
Dean and Chapter of York. Stilling-
fleet Hall is the seat of Joshua Ingham,
Esq. The parish contains the town-
ships of Acaster Selby and Kelfield.
Entire population, 878.
Stillington, N. R. (5) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Bul-
mer, 4 miles S. E. from Easingwold ;
inhabitants, 698 ; a vicarage, value 4l.
155. hd,; patron, the Prebendary of
Stillington in York Cathedral; this was
one of the livings held by the celebrated
Lawrence Sterne. Stillington Hall is
the seat of Henry Croft, Esq.
Stirkhouse, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Gisburn,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 1§ mile W.
Stittingham, N.R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Sheriff Hutton,
wapentake of Bulmer, 7 miles S.W.
from Malton; inhabitants, 81. The
family of Gower, of which the Mar-
quis of Stafford is the present repre-
sentative, had anciently a seat here.
Stock, W. R. (4) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Brace well, wa-
pentake of Staincliffe, 3 miles E. from
Stockbridge, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township of Bentley, parish of
Arksey, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 2| miles N. from Doncaster.
Stockdale, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Settle, parish of Gig-
gleswick, wapentake of Staincliffe, 3
miles E. from Settle.
Stockeld, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Spofforth,
wapentake of Claro, 2 miles W. from
Wetherby. Near the road is a rock, 65
feet in circumference, and 30 feet high,
standing on the margin of a lake. The
Dutch, it seems, use the word stock-
heldt, for a misshapen image, from
which circumstance the present name
of the place has probably originated.
Stockeld Flail is the seat of Peter Mid-
Stocks, W. R. (4) a hamlet in the
township of Easington, parish of Slaid-
burn, wapentake of Staincliffe, 9 miles
S. W. from Settle.
Stockton on the Forest, N. R.
(5) a parish and township in the wa-
pentake of Bulmer, 4 miles N. E. from
York ; inhabitants, 357 ; a perpetual
curacy; patron, the Prebendary of
Bugthorpe in York Cathedral. In
January, 1792, a remarkable meteor-
ous appearance was observed in this
place, resembling the divisions of a
large army in full march; a similar
phenomenon took place at Haverah
Park, near Harrogate, in June, 1812,
which caused much surprize in the
persons who beheld it; and, strange to
say, a portion of superstitious alarm
in some who have related the circum-
f Stockwell Green, W. R. (8).
See Rand Moor.
Stokesley, N. R. (2) a market
town, parish, and township, in the wa-
pentake of Langbarugh, 8 miles S. W.
from Guisborough, 43 N. from York,
237 from London; inhabitants, 1897;
a rectory, value 30/. 65. \6%d.; patron,
the Archbishop of York; market, Sa-
turday ; fairs, the eve of Palm Sunday,
Trinity Saturday, and Saturday after
Old Lammas day. Stokesley chiefly con-
sists of one broad street, running east
and west, and is washed on the south
by a branch of the river Leven; the
town is neatly built, and has a con-
siderable manufacture of linen, but
the general aspect of the place carries
rather the air of retirement than busi-
ness. The surrounding lands, rich and
fertile, are chiefly in grass, and let in