Earls Croomc, par. and seat, W. Worcestershire, 14
mile NE. of Upton-on-Severn, 1141 ac., pop. 213.
Earls Cross, stone pillar, near Dornoch, SE. Suther-
landshire ; traditionally commemorative of a victory
(13th century) over the Danes.
Earls Green, hamlet, Bacton par., W. Suffolk, 14
mile SAV. of Finningham sta.
Earls Heaton, eccl. dist. and ry. sta. (Earlsheaton),
Dewsbury par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, in SE.
suburbs of Dewsbury, pop. 5105; P.O., T.O.
Earls Hill.—summit of the Lennox range, in co. and
6 miles SW. of Stirling, alt. 1443 ft.—2. Earls (or
Mote) Hill, site of the ancient open-air courts of
Buchan, at Ellon, E. Aberdeenshire.
Earls Seat, highest summit of the Lennox range,
Stirlingshire, 3 miles N. of Strathblane, alt. 1894 ft.
Earlsbury Park, seat, near Royston, Herts.
Earlsdon, 2 m. AV". of Coventry, Warwickshire ; P.O.
Earlsferry, royal burgh, Kilconquhar par., Fifeshire,
pop. 286; vil., pop. 365 ; its charter, said to have been
granted by Malcolm Canmore, was renewed by James
VI. in 1589; it was then a place of considerable trade,
and returned a member to Parliament. See Elie.
Earls field, ry. sta., Wandsworth par., Surrey, 1|
mile SAV. of Clapham Junction.
EarlshaU, old mansion (1546), near Leuchars, Fife.
Earlsbeaton, ry. sta. in SE. suburbs of Dewsbury,
West-Riding Yorkshire. See Earls Heaton.
Earlsmill.—ry. sta., in par. and f mile S. of Keith,
Banffshire.—2. Earlsmill, seat, on Muckle Water, 44
miles SAY. of Forres, Elginshire.
Earlston.—(originally Ercildoune), small market
town and par. with ry. sta., SW. Berwickshire—par.,
9968 ac., pop. 1767; vil., on Leader Water, 4 m. NE. of
Melrose and 31 SE. of Edinburgh, pop. 1010; P.O., T.O.,
1 Bank. Market-day, Monday; has agricultural trade ;
has also dyeworks, and some mfrs. of tweeds, shirt-
ings, and ginghams. A fragment of the old tower of
Thomas the Rhymer of Ercildoune still stands between
the town and the river; a stone built into the church
wall bears the inscription that ‘ ‘ Auld Rhymers race
Lies in this place. The name of the town was changed
to Earlston when it became the property of the Earls of
Dunbar; its present superior is the Earl of Haddington.
—2. Earlston, seat (of the Gordons of Earlston), in co.
and 4 m. SAY. of Kirkcudbright.—3. Earlston, ancient
castle (1655) of the Gordons of Earlston, in par. and
2 m. NW. of Dairy, N. Kirkcudbrightshire; Earlston
Burn flows 4 m. SW. to the AYater of Ken; near the
castle it makes a fine waterfall called Earlston Linn.
Earlstonc, tithing, Burghclere par., N. Hants, 3
miles NAV. of Kingsclere.
Earlstown, par., mid. co. Kilkenny, on Kings River,
1 mile E. of Callan, 2938 ac., pop. 282.
Earlswood.—hamlet with ry. sta., 1 mile S. of Red
Hillry. sta., E. Surrey; P.O.—2. Earlswood, hamlet,
5 miles SW. of Knowle ry. sta., S. Warwickshire; P.O.
Early Vale, on Early Burn, affluent of Eddlestone
AYater, Peeblesshire; 2 miles N. of Eddlestone sta. is
Earn.—river, Perthshire; issues from Loch Earn, and
flows E. through Strathearn to the Tay 64 mdes SE. of
Perth; is 46 miles long, and has salmon and trout.
Locli Earn, Comrie par., is 64 miles long, about 4mile
broad, and in some places 600 ft. deep; its scenery is
very fine ; it never freezes, and it abounds in trout.—
2. Earn, rivulet, SE. Renfrewshire ; rises on the
Ayrshire border, and flows 6 miles NE. to the White
Cart 2 miles N. of Eaglesham.
Earn, Bridge of, vil., Perth. See Bridge op Earn.
Earnley, coast par., AY. Sussex, 5 miles SAY. of Chi-
chester, 1143 ac., pop. 132.
Earnock, Meikle, vil. with ry. sta., in par. and 14
mile SW. of Hamilton, Lanarkshire; in vicinity is an
ancient tumulus ; 1 mile NW. is Earnock House.
Earns ford, liberty, Binley par., N. Warwickshire,
on river Sow, 2 miles SE. of Coventry.
EarnsliiU, par. and seat, W. Somerset, on river Isle,
34 miles SW. of Langport, 375 ac., pop. 7.
Earnside, ancient forest, now extinct, at mouth of
river Earn, Perthshire.
Earnstrey Fark, seat, Diddlebury par., S. Shrop-
shire, 94 miles SW. of Bridgnorth.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)