Mardykc, school, co. Tipperary; post-town, Thurles.
Maree, Loch, Gairloch par., Boss and Cromarty pis
124 miles long NW. and SE., and from less than 4 mile
to 2j: miles broad ; receives the river Kinlochewe, and
gives off the river Ewe ; is overlooked by grand moun-
tains, is studded with numerous islands, and is famed
for its scenery; it has abundance of fish, and is tra-
versed by a steamer. See Lochmaree.
Marelield, township, Tilton par., Leicestershire, 7
miles S. of Melton Mowbray, 170 ac., pop. 19.
Mareham le Fen, par. and vil., Lincolnshire, 54
miles S. of Horncastle, 1560 ac., pop. 736; P.O., T.O.
Mareham on the Hill, par., Lincolnshire, 2 miles
SE. of Horncastle, 1211 ac., pop. 153.
Mareslicld, par. and vil., Sussex, 2 miles N. of Uck-
field, 8132 ac., pop. 2082; P.O.; in vicinity of vil. is
Mares field Park, seat; remains of extensive Roman
ironworks, and other Roman antiquities, have been
Maretimo, seat, near Blackrock, SE. co. Dublin.
Marfleet, par. and vil. with ry. sta., East-Riding
Yorkshire, on river Humber, in borough of Hull, 1285
ac. and 712 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 183; P.O.;
the sta. is 24 miles E. of Paragon sta., Hull.
Marford, hamlet, AVheathampstead par., Herts, on
river Lea, 5 miles NAV. of Hatfield.
Margain, par., Glamorgan, partly within the par-
liamentary limits of Aberavon and partly within the
parliamentary limits of Kenfig (Aberavon part, pop.
3872; Kenfig part, pop. 121), 18,347 ac. and 1371 tidal
water and foreshore, pop. 5708; has copper and tin
works. Margam Park, seat, 3 miles SE. of Aberavon,
has a large conservatory with a very fine collection of
orange and lemon trees ; the park is 5 miles in circum-
ference, richly wooded, and stocked with deer. The
church of Margam Abbey (1147) forms part of the parish
church. Mynydd Margam, on N. side of park, 1129 ft.
high, is covered from base to summit with fine oak-wood.
Margaret Marsh, par., Dorset, 4 miles SAY. of
Shaftesbury, 525 ac., pop. 68.
Margaret Roothing, par., Essex, on river Roding,
7 miles NE. of Ongar, 1226 ac., pop. 225 ; P.O.
Margaretsfield, vil., Ruth well par., Dumfriesshire,
8 miles W. of Annan.
Margaretting, par. and vil., Essex, on river Wid,
5 miles SW. of Chelmsford, 2284 ac., pop. 526; P.O.
Margate, mun. bor., par., and seaside resort, Kent,
in Isle of Thanet, 5 miles NW. of Ramsgate and 74
miles E. of London by rail—par., 3919 ac. and 618
foreshore, pop. 18,226 ; mun. bor., 995 ac., pop. 16,030;
2 Banks, 3 newspapers. The place was formerly known
as Mergate, meaning a passage to the sea. The mun.
bor., which received its charter of incorporation in
1857, is a corporate member of the Cinque Port of
Dover. Margate is undoubtedly the most familiar
sea-side resort of Londoners, of whom many thou-
sands visit the place every year. Much has been
done in the town for the convenience and comfort of
visitors ; piers and esplanades especially have been con-
structed at great expense. The town is well known
for its fine hotels and its hospitals for the reception of
invalids. Sea fishing is the chief industry, considerable
numbers of flat fish being brought to the shore. At
W. end of pier is a lighthouse 70 ft. high, with fixed
light 85 ft. above high water and seen 10 miles.
Marhain, par. and vil., Norfolk, 7 miles W. of Swaff-
ham, 3966 ac., pop. 752; P.O.; has remains of a nunnery
(1251); in vicinity of vil. is Marhaui House, seat.
Marhainchnrch, par. and vil., Cornwall, on Bude
Canal, 2 miles SW. of Stratton and 14| miles NAY. of
Launceston, 2720 ac., pop. 535; P.O.
Marbin, par., W. co. Kerry, 5 miles W. of Dingle,
2794 ac., pop. 548.
Marholm, par., Northamptonshire, 4| miles NW. of
Peterborough, 1790 ac., pop. 166.
Marian sleigh, par. and vil., Devon, near river Mole,
34 miles SE. of South Molton, 1963 ac., pop. 221.
MarMunum. See Carmarthen.
Marlebonne, 2 miles from Wigan, Lancashire ; P.O.
Marino.—sta. on Holy wood and Bangor Ry., N. co.
Down, 5 miles NE. of Belfast.—2. Marino, hamlet,
and seat of the Earl of Charlemont, near Drumcondra,
in co. and 14 mile N. of Dublin.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)