Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 315

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 314 ...Page 316

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


side of Pasquotank River. 219 miles E. N. E.
from Raleigh, otherwise called Jonesburg.

Camden County, N. J., c. h. at Camden. S. W.
part. Washed by the Delaware on the W.
Level, and soil light.

Camden, N. J. City and port of entry, Glouces-
ter co. Situated on the E. side of the Del-
aware River, opposite Philadelphia. The city
was incorporated in 1828, extending about 2
miles on the river, and about a mile and a half
back. It consists of three distinct villages, each
connected with Philadelphia by a ferry. The
upper of these is known as Cooper's Point, and
(he lower as Kaighn's Point, or South Catnden.
Camden proper is that part of the city included
in the central village, which is the largest of the
three. Cooper's Point, however, was first settled,
and the ferry from Philadelphia to this point was
established as early as 1695. Much of the terri-
tory included within the chartered limits of
Camden is yet occupied with gardens and fruit
orchards, for the supply of the Philadelphia
market. There are several public gardens, which
are places of resort for the citizens of Philadel-
phia, in the summer, for recreation.

•Windmill, or Clark's Island, lies in the river
between Philadelphia and Camden proper, having
the deepest channel on the Philadelphia side.
Vessels of the largest class can come up only to
Kaiglm's Point, and those of
150 tons only to
Camden proper. Clark's Island and the bar
running from it interposed, in its natural condi-
tion, an obstacle to the direct passage of the ferry
boats to Camden. This proved so serious an
inconvenience that, in
1837, a channel was cut
through it at a cost of about
$40,000. The ter-
minus of the Camden and Amboy Railroad,
making a part of one of the routes from Phil-
adelphia to New York, is at Camden; and also
that of another railroad, running a few miles
south, to Woodbury, the shire town of the county.

The growth of Camden, as a place of business,
has been considerable for a few years past.
There are now 18 or 20 respectable mercantile
houses, several lumber yards, and numerous
mechanical and manufacturing establishments.
There are churches in the city of the Episcopal,
Baptist, and Methodist denominations, and of
the Friends. The remains of barracks built here
by the British, during their occupancy of Phil-
adelphia, in the war of the revolution, are still
visible near the upper ferry.

Camden, N. Y., Oneida co. Watered by Fish
Creek and its branches. The surface is generally
hilly; the soil easily cultivated, and very fertile
in some parts. 35 miles N. W. from Utica, and
127 W. by N. from Albany.

Camden, S. C., seat of justice of Kershaw
district. On the E. bank of Wateree River. 33
miles N. E. from Columbia. The river is navi-
gable to this place for flat boats of 60 or 70 tons.
The soil of the surrounding country is fertile,
but liable to be overflowed. Cotton and corn
are abundantly produced. The place is well
built; some of the church edifices, of which
there are four or five, are elegant. Its trade is
considerable. The De Kalb mills, and a cotton
factory, are in the suburbs of the village.

This place is celebrated, in revolutionary his-
tory, as the scene of two important battles: that
of August 16, 1780, between General Gates and
Lord Cornwallis; and that of April 23, 1781,
between General Greene and Lord Rawdon. In
1825, Lafayette laid the corner stone of a monu-
ment here to the memory of Baron de Kalb, of
revolutionary celebrity, which stands at the foot
of De Kalb Street, and is of fine white marble.

In the near vicinity of this town is a large
mound, supposed to indicate the site of one of
the ancient towns of the Catawba Indians.

Camden County, Mo. Southern central. Wa-
tered by the Osage and several large tributaries.

Cameron, N. Y., Steuben co. Watered by
Canisteo River, and several small streams. The
surface is hilly, the soil generally good.
7 miles
S. from Bath, and
221 S. of W. from Albany.

Cameron County, Ts., c. h. at Brownsville. In
the S. E. angle, between the Lower Del Norte and
the Gulf coast.

Camillas, N. Y., Onondaga co. The surface
is rolling, and is watered by Nine Mile Creek.
It lies 7 miles
W. from Syracuse, and 141 N. W.
from Albany.

Campbell County, Ga., c. h. at Campbellton. N.
part on both sides the Chattahoochee. Sur-
face undulating; soil productive.

Campbell County, Ky., c. h. at Newport. North-
ernmost part, in the angle between the Licking
and Ohio. Surface uneven ; soil productive.

Campbell, N. Y., Steuben co. Conhocton River,
Mead's Creek, and several small streams water
this town. Surface hilly, soil clay and marly
loam. 10 miles
S. E. from Bath, and 209 W. by
S. from Albany.

Campbell County, Te., c. h. at Jacksboro'. East
part on the N. border. Watered by the Tennessee
and several branches of the Cumberland River.
Surface broken by the Cumberland Mountains.

Campbell County, Ya., c. h. at Campbell co.
South central. Between the James River and the
Roanoke. It has a rough surface, but fertile soil.

Campbell, Ya., c. h. Campbell co. 125 miles
W. S. W. from Richmond.

Campbellton, Ga., c. h. Campbell co. On both
sides of the Chattahoochee River. 102 miles N.
W. from Milledgeville.

Campion, N. H., Grafton co. The surface is
broken and uneven. Besides Pemigewasset
River, this town is watered by Mad, Beebe, West
Branch, and Bog Brook Rivers. The land in
the valleys is good, and there is some intervale.
The high land is good for grazing. The forest
trees are mostly deciduous. Iron ore is found in
some parts. From the circumstance of the first
proprietors' building a camp, when they went to
survey Campton and Rumney, this town derives
its name. First settlers, two families named Fox
and Taylor, in 1765.

Canaan, Ct., Litchfield co. First settled in
1738. Incorporated, 1739. The town lies on
the E. side of Housatonic River, opposite Salis-
bury. A ledge of limestone rocks crosses the
river at this place, about 30 rods in length, caus-
ing a perpendicular fall of 60 feet. The river is
rapid, both above and below this beautiful cata-
ract. The whole descent of the river, in Canaan,
is about 130 feet, “ nobly arranged and distrib-
uted, and comprehending a remarkable variety
of beauty and grandeur." The township is
mountainous, with some arable land along the
streams. Limestone and iron ore are abundant.

Canaan, Me., Somerset co. A good farming
town on the E. side of Kennebec River. 34 miles
N. from Augusta.

Canaan, N. H.. Grafton co. Heart Pond, so
called from its figure, is situated in the centre

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.