Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 314

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 313 ...Page 315

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


turing ancl mechanical operations. Charles
River winds its course along the S. border of
Cambridge, affording convenient facilities for
navigation to each section of the town.

The Mount Auburn Cemetery lies about a
W. of the university, in the towns of Wa-
tertown and Cambridge. This beautiful rural
cemetery, the first of the kind in the country, was
dedicated September 24,1831. It contains about
100 acres of land, covered with a natural growth
of trees, the highest part of which is 125 feet
above the river, laid out with winding gravelled
walks, and embellished with every variety of
shrub and flower. Numerous monuments, of
costly material and exquisite workmanship, are
already erected, constituting this a magnificent
resting-place of the dead. It is surrounded by
an iron fence, with an imposing granite gateway,
in the Egyptian style; and not far from the en-
trance is a chapel, of granite, for the celebration
of burial services. Our readers will be pleased
to see the following short extract from the ad-
dress of the late
Judge Story at the setting
apart of this hallowed spot to the purpose for
which it is now used: —

“ Nature," he says, “ seems to point it out with
significant energy, as the favorite retirement for
the dead. There are around us all the varied
features of her beauty and grandeur — the forest-
crowned height, the abrupt acclivity, the shel-
tered valley, the deep glen, the grassy glade,
and the silent grove. Here are the lofty oak,
the beech, that1 wreathes its old, fantastic roots so
high,' the rustling pine, and the drooping willow,
— the tree that sheds its pale leaves with every
autumn, a fit emblem of our own transitory
bloom; and the evergreen, with its perennial
shoots, instructing us that ‘ the wintry blast of
death kills not the buds of virtue.' Here is the
thick shrubbery, to protect and conceal the new-
made grave ; and there is the wild flower creep-
ing along the narrow path, and planting its seeds
in the upturned earth. All around us there
breathes a solemn calm, as if we were in the
bosom of a wilderness, broken only by the breeze
as it murmurs through the tops of the forest, or
by the notes of the warbler, pouring forth his
matin or his evening song.

“ Ascend but a few steps, and what a change
of scenery to surprise and delight us! We seem,
as it were, in an instant, to pass from the con-
fines of death to the bright and balmy regions of
life. Below' us flows the winding Charles, with
its rippling current, like the stream of time
hastening to the ocean of eternity. In the dis-
tance, the city — at once the object of our ad-
miration and our love — rears its proud emi-
nences, its glittering spires, its lofty towers, its
graceful mansions, its curling smoke, its crowd-
ed haunts of business and pleasure, which speak
to the eye, and yet leave a noiseless loneliness on
the ear. Again -we turn, and the walls of our
venerable university rise before us, with many a
recollection of happy days passed there, in the
interchange of study and friendship, and many a
grateful thought of the affluence of its learning,
which has adorned and nourished the literature
of our country. Again we turn, and the culti-
vated farm, the neat cottage, the village church,
the sparkling lake, the rich .valley, and the dis-
tant hills, are before us through opening vistas ;
and we breathe amidst the fresh and varied
labors of man."

From the first settlement of the country, Cam -
bridge has been a place of great importance.
At the commencement of the revolution, and
during the year
1775, the head-quarters of the
American army were in this town, and here
Washington entered upon his duties as com-
mander-in-chief. His quarters were at the Cra-
gie House, situated on the street between the
college and Mount Auburn. Our admired poet,
Longfellow, the present proprietor, displays good
taste by preserving as nearly as possible the
original external appearance of the house. The
Washington Elm, on the westerly side of Cam-
bridge Common, is also an object of interest, as
under its branches Washington was stationed
while his commission was proclaimed to the
army of twenty thousand men drawn up on the
Common ; and here he drew that sword which,
turning every way, like the sword of the angel,
became salvation to his country, and terror and
confusion to her adversaries.

Cambridge, N. H., Coos eo. This town has an
uneven surface, and is watered by several streams
which rise here and fall into the Androscoggin.
143 miles N. E. from Concord, and 35 N. E. from

Cambridge, N. Y., Washington co. Watered
by Hoosic River and its tributaries. Surface
generally level, soil mostly gravelly, and sandy
12 miles S. from Salem, and 34 N. E.
from Albany.

Cambridge, O., c. h. Guernsey co. On the na-
tional road, on Wills Creek.
48 miles W. from
Wheeling, and
78 E. from Columbus.

Cambridge, Yt., Lamoille,co. Lamoille River
passes through the town, and receives, in its
course, North Branch, Brewster's River, and
Seymour's Brook. These streams afford numer-
ous mill privileges. The surface is uneven, and
in some places rough. The land is, however,
generally good, and on the river are about 6000
acres of valuable intervale.
A branch of Dead
Creek rises in this town, and another branch of
said creek runs across the
N. W. corner of the
town. The town is well watered, and produces
timber of various kinds. There are three small
villages. The first settler was John. Spofford;
he came into the town in 1783, from Piermont,
N. H. 18 miles W. from Hydepark, and 40 N.

• W. from Montpelier.

Cambridgeport, Ms., Middlesex co. See Cam-
, Ms.

Camden, As., c. h. Washington co. 90 miles
W. of S. from Little Rock.

Camden County, Ga., c. h. at Jeffersonton. In
the S. E. corner. Santilla River flows through
the interior, and St. Mary's River along the, S.
border of this county, which" embraces Cumber-
land Island, lying in the Atlantic.

Camden, Me., Waldo co. On the W. side of
Penobscot Bay.
10 iniles N. from Thomaston,
40 E. S. E. from Augusta. -It has two fine
harbors, but its chief business is the manufacture
of lime, of which about 200,000 casks are annu-
ally shipped to all ports of the United States.
The lime is used for making cement of a supe-
rior quality. The Megunticook River affords an
extensive water power.

Camden County, N. C., c. h. at Jonesburg. In
the N. E. corner, on Albemarle Sound, between
Pasquotank and North Rivers. Surface low and

Camden, N. C., c. h. Camden co. On the E.

A Gazetteer of the United States of America by John Hayward.

Hartford, CT: Case, Tiffany and Company. 1853. Public domain image

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.