Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 381

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 380 ...Page 382

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


county buildings, are a bank, an academy, the
edifices of the Pennsylvania College, and of the
theological seminary of the German Lutheran
church, and churches of the Presbyterian, Lu-
theran, Seceders', and Methodist denominations.
These buildings are all of brick, except the
county prison. Considerable business is done
here in the various mechanical pursuits. The
place was formerly celebrated for the manufac-
ture of carriages of all kinds, but this branch
of business has very much declined with the
changes in the mode of travelling. Eor an ac-
count of the college and theological seminary at
Gettysburg, see

Ghent, N. Y., Columbia co. Drained by Clav-
erack Creek. The surface is somewhat uneven ;
soil gravelly loam. 8 miles N. E. from Hudson,
and 26 S. E. from Albany.

Gibson County, la., c. h. at Princeton. Incor-
porated in 1813. Bounded N. by White River,
separating it from Knox co., E. by Pike and
Warrick counties, S. by Yanderburg and Posey,
and W. by the Wabash River, separating it
from Illinois. Surface undulating, and drained
by Patoka and Big Pigeon Creeks.

Gibson, Pa., Susquehanna co. This is a hilly
town, drained by Tunkhannock and Lackawan-
nock Creeks. Soil gravel and clay. 177 miles
N. N. E. from Harrisburg.

Gibson County, Te., c. h. at Trenton. Bounded
N. by Obion and Weakley counties, E. by Car-
roll, S. by Madison and Haywood, and W. by
Dyer co. Surface undulating, and watered by
branches of Obion and Forked Deer Creeks.
Soil fertile.

Gilead, Me., Oxford co. Between two moun-
tains, on both sides of Androscoggin River.
There is some good land on the river, but the
chief part of the township is fit only for grazing.
The expense of transportation of fuel down the
mountains, in a slippery time, is very trifling.
Gilead lies 71 miles W. from Augusta, and 25
S. S. W. from Paris. Incorporated 1804.

Gilead, O., Wood co. On the S. E. bank of
Maumee River. 136 miles N. N. W. from Co-
lumbus. There is great water power obtainable
here. The river is navigable for small steam-
boats above this place to Fort Wayne, though
between this and Perrysburg below it is not navi-
gable. The Maumee Canal passes by it.

Giles County, Te., c. h. at Pulaski. Bounded N.
by Maury and Marshall counties, E. by Lincoln
CO., S. by Alabama, and W. by Lawrence co. Wa-
tered by Richland and some other branches of Elk
Creek. Surface slightly uneven; soil fertile.

Giles County, Ya., c. h. at Parisburg. Incorpo-
rated in 1806. Bounded N. by Botetourt and
Monroe counties, E. by Montgomery, S. by Pu-
laski, Wythe, and Tazewell, and W. by Mercer
co. Watered by New River, on the banks of
which are some celebrated white sulphur
springs. The surface is elevated and mountain-
ous ; soil rocky and sterile on the high lands, but
fertile in the valleys.

Giles, Va., c. h. Giles co. On the S. bank of
New River, just above its passage through Peter's
Mountain, and 240 miles W. by S. from Rich-

Gilford, N. H., c. h. Belknap co. The soil is
generally productive. There are two ponds here,
Little and Chattleboro'. Gunstock and Miles
Rivers, rising in Suncook Mountains, and flowing

N. into Lake Winnipiseogee, are the principal
streams. There are two islands in the lake, be-
longing to Gilford, one of which has been con-
nected to the main land by a bridge 30 rods in
length. Four bridges across the Winnipiseogee
connect the town with Meredith. First settlers,
James Ames and
S. S. Gilman. The Concord
and Montreal Railroad passes through this town.
25 miles from Concord.

Gill, Ms., Franklin co. Gill was taken from
Greenfield in 1793, and is separated from it by
Fall River, a good mill stream. It is opposite to
Montague, which lies on the E. side of Connecti-
cut River, and between which and Gill are
Turner's Falls, alike celebrated for their beauty
and magnitude. The town was named in com-
pliment to Moses Gill, lieutenant-governor of
the state. The Connecticut at this place turns
abruptly in its course, and spreads out a large
tract of intervale of great value. Around this
town are lofty elevations, from which splendid
landscapes are obtained. 5 miles N. E. from

Gillespie County, Ts., c. h. at Fredericksburg.
A central county.

Gilmer County, Ga., c. h. at Ellijay. Bounded
N. by Tennessee and North Carolina, E. by
Union and Lumpkin counties, S. by Cherokee,
and W. by Cass and Murray counties. The
Coosawatee and Aquokee Rivers and their
branches water this county.

Gilmer County, Va., c. h. at Glenville. In the
W. part of the state. Rough and hilly. Drained
by the Little Kenhawa and its confluents, which
pass through it from E. to W.

Gilmanton, N. H., Belknap co. Besides the
Winnipiseogee, this town is watered by the Sun-
cook and Soucook Rivers. The Suncook rises
in a pond near the top of one of the Suncook
Mountains, elevated 900 feet above its base.
The water of this pond falls into another at the
foot of the mountain, of 1 mile in length and half
a mile wide. Passing from this it falls into an-
other, covering about 500 acres, from which it me-
anders through the town. This town is hilly and
rocky; soil hard, but fruitful. There are several
mineral springs here. An academy was found-
ed here October 13, 1762. Porcupine Hill, in
this town, exhibits a romantic precipice. First
settlers, Benjamin and John Mudgett, Orlando
Weed, and others, in 1771. 20 miles N. N. B.
from Concord, and 8 S. S. W. from Gilford.

Gilman, N. Y., Hamilton co. This town con-
tains several small lakes. Mount Emmons is
situated in the N. part. A large part of the town
is wilderness. 6 miles E. from Lake Pleasant,
and 68 N. W. from Albany.

Gilsum, N. H., Cheshire co., is a small town-
ship, 10 miles E. from the Connecticut. The soil
is fertile, and produces good crops of grass and
grain. Ashuelot River affords a good water
power. Gilsum was granted to Messrs. Gilbert,
Sumner, and others. From the combination of
the first syllable of the names of those men, it
derives its name. First settlers, Josiah Kilburn,
Pelatiah Pease, Obadiah Wilcox, Ebenezer Dew-
ey, and Jonathan Adams, in 1764. 80 miles S.
W. by W. from Concord, and about 9 N. from

Glasgow, Ky., c. h. Barren co. A little E. of
the Beaver branch of Green River, and 123
S. W. from Frankfort.

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.