descend with boats in safety. The Amonoosuck
waters the S. part, having on its banks small
tracts of excellent intervale. The principal vil-
lage is on this river, and is called Glynville.
Raspberry, Black, Palmer's, and Iron Mountains
are the most prominent elevations. Near Amo-
noosuck River is a mineral spring, the water of
which is said to be similar to the Congress Spring
at Saratoga. Hone slate is found here in great
abundance and purity. Littleton is an important
point for travellers passing from the Connecticut
River to and from the White Mountains. First
settler, Captain Nathan Caswell, about 1774. 30
miles N. by E. from Haverhill, and 100 N. N. W.
Littleton, Ms., Middlesex co. This township
was granted in 1714, and named for George Lit-
tleton, a member of the British parliament. Its
Indian name was Nashobah. The surface is pleas-
antly variegated, containing a number of beauti-
ful ponds; the soil is not very strong. There are
2 pleasant villages in the town. The Fitchburg
Railroad passes through the town. 13 miles N. W.
from Concord, and 31^ N. W. from Boston.
Livermore, Me., Oxford co. A good township
of land on both sides of the Androscoggin, with
3 pleasant villages and falls on the river, produ-
cing a large water power. 25 miles W. from
Liverpool, N. Y., Onondaga co. On the E. side
of Onandaga Lake, in the township of Salina, 5
miles N. of Syracuse. Incorporated as a village
in 1830. The principal business of the village
is the manufacture of fine salt from the saline
springs situated here, and belonging to the state,
from which vast quantities are produced. See
Salina. The Oswego Canal passes through this
place. 136 miles W. by N. from Albany.
Liverpool, 0., Medina co. 125 miles N. E. by N.
from Columbus. A flourishing place, with salt
springs, a petroleum spring, and iron ore,
Liverpool, Pa., Perry co. Bounded E. by the
Susquehanna River, and watered by a small
creek flowing into it. Surface hilly; soil slate
and gravel on the hills, and calcareous loam in
the valleys. 29 miles N. by W. from Harrisburg.
Livingston, Aa., c. h. Sumpter co. On the N.
side of Sucarnaehee River. 68 miles S. W. from
Livingston County, Is., c. h. at Pontiac. Bounded
N. by Lasalle and Grundy counties, E. and S. by
Vermilion and McLean, and W. by Woodford
co. Watered by Vermilion River and tributa-
ries. Surface slightly undulating; soil fertile.
Livingston County, Ky., c. h. at Salem.
Bounded E. by Crittenden and Caldwell, S. by
Marshall and McCracken counties, and W. and
N. by the Ohio River, separating it from Illinois.
Tennessee River runs on its S. border, and Cum-
berland River passes through it. Surface mostly
level; soil fertile,
Livingston Parish, La., c. h. at Springfield.
Bounded N. by St. Helena parish, E. by St.
Tammany, S. by St. John Baptist and Ascen-
sion, and W. by East Baton Rouge parish. Wa-
tered on its S. E. border by Lakes Maurepas and
Pontchartrain, and on its S. and W. by Amite
River, flowing into Lake Maurepas. Drained by-
small rivers flowing into the lakes.
Livingston County, Mn., c. h. at Howell. Bounded
N. by Shiawassee and Genesee counties, E. by
Oakland, S. by Washtenaw, and W. by Ingham
co. Watered by Shiawassee, Cedar, and Huron
Rivers. Surface slightly undulating; soil fertile.
Iron ore is found in the S. E., and salt in the
Livingston County, Mo., c. h. at Chillicothe.
Bounded N. by Grundy, E. by Linn and Chariton,
S. by Carroll, and W. by Caldwell and Daviess
counties. Watered by Grand River and tribu-
taries. Surface level; soil of fine quality.
Livingston, N. J., Essex co. Bounded on the
W. by Passaic River, and drained by small
streams flowing into it. Surface mountainous
and uneven, except on the border of the Passaic.
9 miles N. W. from Newark, and 58 N. E. from
Livingston County, N. Y., c. h. at Geneseo.
Formed from Ontario and Genesee counties in
1821. It is bounded N. by Monroe, E. by On-
tario, S. by Alleghany and Steuben, and W. by-
Genesee and Wyoming counties, and watered by
Genesee River, Canaseraga Creek, and Coneseus
and Hemlock Lakes, with their outlets. Surface
much diversified; soil mostly of good quality,
and in the Genesee valley very fertile. Gypsum
and bog iron ore exist here in large quantities,
and the Avon Sulphur Springs have long been
celebrated. The Genesee Valley Canal and a
side branch pass through this county.
.Livingston, N. Y., Columbia co. On the E.
side of the Hudson, and watered by Ancram or
RoelifF Jansen's Creek. The surface is varied;
soil gravel, clay, and loam, based upon lime and
slate. 10 miles S. from Hudson.
Livingston, Te., c. h. Overton co. 100 miles E.
by N. from Nashville.
Livonia, N. Y., Livingston co. Watered by
the outlet of Hemlock Lake and a few small
streams flowing W. into Coneseus Lake. Surface
slightly uneven ; soil productive. 8 miles E.
from Geneseo, and 217 W. from Albany.
Locke, N. Y., Cayuga co. Watered by the
inlet of Owasco Lake. The surface is hilly;
soil gravelly loam, based upon slate. 20 miles
S. from Auburn, and 153 W. from Albany.
Lockhaven, Pa., c. h. Clinton co. On the S.
side of Susquehanna River. 107 miles N. W.
by N. from Harrisburg.
Lockport, Is., Will co. On the Illinois and
Michigan Canal. 34 miles W. from Chicago,
and 170 N. E. by N. from Springfield. It is at
the termination of the lake level, and here the
canal has a fall of 20 feet, by two locks. From
the surplus water of the canal, and likewise of the
Des Plaines River, which has a fall of 15 feet at
this place, a large amount of hydraulic power is
Lockport, N. Y., c. h. Niagara co. It is watered
by Tonawanda and a branch of Eighteen Mile
Creek. The surface is hilly ; soil sandy and cal-
careous loam. This town contains several large
quarries of fine building stone. 277 miles W.
by N. from Albany.
Lodi, N. J., Bergen co. This town is bounded
E. and S. E. by the Hackensack, and W. and
S. W. by the Passaic River. Surface level. 5
miles S. W. from Hackensack.
Lodi, N. Y., Seneca co. On the E. shore of
Seneca Lake. Watered by several streams flow-
ing into Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. Surface
rolling; soil clay loam, based upon lime and
slate. 20 miles S. from Waterloo, and 175 W
Logan County, Is., c. h. at Postville. Bounded
N. by Tazewell and De Witt counties, E. by De