Witt and Macon, S. by Sangamon, and W. by
Menard and Mason counties. Drained by Sugar
Creek and other branches of Sangamon River.
Surface level, including much prairie land.
Logan County, Ky., c. h. at Russelville. Bounded
N. by Muhleaburg and Butler counties, E. by
Simpson co., S. by Tennessee, and W. by Todd
co. Watered by branches of Green and Cum-
berland Rivers. Surface table land.
Logan County, 0., c. h. at Bellefontaine. Hardin
co. bounds it on the N., Union on the E., Cham-
paign on the S., and Shelby on the W. Miami
and Mad Rivers, Boques, Mill, and Darby Creeks
rise here, and water the land, which is level and
fertile. This county was named for General
Logan, of Kentucky, and was organized in 1818.
The first settlets came from North Carolina,
Pennsylvania, and Kentucky, about the year
Logan, 0., c. h. Hocking co. On the N. bank
of Hockhocking River, 1 mile below the Great
Ealls. It was laid out in 1816, and is 46 miles
S. E. from Columbus, and 18 S. E. from Lan-
Logan, Pa., Clinton co. Watered by Big Fish-
ing Creek. Surface mountainous; soil calcare-
ous loam in the valleys. 20 miles N. E. from
Logan County, Va., c. h. at Logan. Bounded
N. by Cabell and Kanawha counties, E. by Fay-
ette and Mercer, S. by Tazewell, and W. by the
Tug Fork of Sandy River, separating it from
Kentucky, and by Wayne co. Drained by Guy-
andotte and Coal Rivers. Surface rough and
Lagan, Va., c. h: Logan co. On the E. side of
Guyandotte River. 351 miles W. from Richmond.
Logansport, la. City, and seat of justice of Cass
co. Situated on the Wabash River, at the junc-
tion of Eel River. 68 miles N. of Indianapolis.
The Wabash and Erie Canal passes through it,
giving it a fine advantage of position for busi-
ness. It has a valuable water power, on which
are several flouring mills and saw mills. The
site of the town is on ground gradually rising
from the junction of the rivers, where it is about
10 feet above high-water mark, for the distance
of 100 rods, to an elevation of 30 or 40 feet,
which is about the altitude of the highest bluffs
along the Wabash River. Bridges here cross
both the Wabash and Eel Rivers. The town
contains a court house, jail, an academy, and
churches of the leading Christian denominations.
It promises to become one of the principal towns
in northern Indiana.
London, 0., c. h. Madison co. 27 miles W. by
S. from Columbus.
Londonderry, N. H., Rockingham co., adjoins
the E. line of the county of Hillsboro'. This
town has a very fertile soil, and contains but
little waste land. The principal stream is Beaver
River, issuing from Beaver Pond, a beautiful
body of water, nearly circular in form, and about
300 rods in diameter. 3 miles N. W. from this
pond are 3 other small ponds, Scoby's, Upper,
and Lower Shields. Small streams issuing from
these unite and fall into Beaver River, on which
are extensive and valuable meadows. There are
several other ponds in the town. Londonderry
was settled in 1719, by a colony of Presbyterians
from the vicinity of the city of Londonderry, in
the north of Ireland. 16 families, accompanied
by Rev. James McGregor, on the day of their
arrival performed religious services under an
oak, on the E. shore of Beaver Pond. They in-
troduced the culture of the potato, a vegetable
till then unknown in New England; also the
manufacture of linen cloth. In 1828 part of this
town was taken to form Derrv. 26 miles S. S. E
from Concord, and 35 S. W. from Portsmouth.
Londonderry, Pa., Chester co. Surface level,
and watered by Doe Run, a branch of Brandy-
wine River, and by the head branches of Elk and
White Clay Creeks. Soil sandy loam.
Londonderry, Pa., Dauphin co. Watered by
Conewago and Spring Creeks, the latter afford-
ing water power. Surface somewhat hilly; soil
gravel and calcareous loam. 14 miles S. E. from
Londonderry, Pa., Lebanon co. Bounded N.
by Swatara Creek, and drained by Conewago
and Quitapahilla Creeks and Klinger's Run. Sur-
face hilly on the N. and S., but more level in
the central portions. Soil gravel and calcareous
loam. 8 miles S. W. from Lebanon.
Londonderry, Yt., Windham co. West River
passes through this town, and receives several
tributaries in it. The land on the streams is rich
and fertile; the uplands are good for grazing,
except those parts that are mountainous. There
are in this town 2 pleasant villages. The settle-
ment was commenced in 1774, by people from
Londonderry, N. H. 28 miles S. W. from Wind-
sor, and 30 N. E. from Bennington.
London Grove, Pa., Chester co. Watered by
White Clay Creek and branches. Surface un-
dulating; soil calcareous loam. 71 miles E. by
S. from Harrisburg.
Long Branch, N. J., Shrewsbury, Monmouth
co. A long beach, on the Atlantic, 50 miles E.
from Trenton, a place of fashionable resort for
persons seeking the recreations of sea air and
Long Lake, N. Y., Hamilton co. The territory
of this large town is mostly a wilderness, wa-
tered by numerous streams and lakes. The sur-
face is somewhat uneven; soil tolerably fertile.
35 miles N. from Lake Pleasant, and 100 N. W.
Longmeadow, Ms., Hampden co. This town
was formerly the second parish of Springfield.
It was first settled about 1644, and derived its
name from the long meadow within the town.
Its Indian name was Massacsick. Longmeadow
is finely located on the eastern bank of Connecti-
cut River, and has some rich meadow land. The
town is watered by some small streams. The
village is delightfully situated about a mile
from the river; it is built on one wide, level street,
beautifully shaded by tall native elms. The
Hartford and Springfield Railroad passes through
here, about 21 miles from Hartford : to Spring-
field it is 4 miles, and from Springfield to Bos-
ton, by the Western Railroad, it is 98 miles.
Long Swamp, Pa., Berks co. Drained by Lit-
tle Lehigh River. Surface hilly; soil gravel and
calcareous loam. 72 miles E. by N. from Harris-
Lorain County, 0., is bounded N. by Lake
Erie, E. by Cuyahoga and Medina counties, S.
by Wayne and Richland, and W. by Huron co.
The branches of Black River and Beaver Creek
rise in the county. It was organized in 1824, and
has a rich, productive soil. The fall in Black
River furnishes the county with an immense wa-