Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 508

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 507 ...Page 509

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


one contains annexed thereto. The whole num-
ber of souls in the tribe was 362. Their officers
are, a governor, lieutenant governor, a colonel,
4 captains, 1 squire, and 1 deacon. In religion
they are Catholics. Several of them can read,
and a few can write, though in a poor hand. The
tribe own, collectively, all the islands in the Pe-
nobscot River, beginning with that of Oldtown,
where their village is, and including all up as far
as the forks, several miles above the Mattawam-
keag, many of which are exceedingly pleasant
and fertile. The Indians are not poor, having
sold some of their lands for large sums. To such
a remnant, however, is this tribe reduced — a
tribe anciently and uniformly called the Tarra-
tines, who could bring into the field more than
2000 warriors, and who claimed the lands on
both sides of the Penobscot River, from its
sources to its mouth.

Orrington, Me., Penobscot. A fine township,
with a handsome village, on the
E. side of Penob-
scot River, opposite Hampden.

Orwell, Vt., Addison co. Some of the land is
broken and hilly; the remaining part is very level,
handsome land, and produces abundant crops
of all kinds of grain. The principal streams are
East Creek and Lemonfair River. On these
streams are several mill privileges, which are
good during a part of the year. The waters,
where the land is clayey, are slightly impregnat-
ed with Epsom salts, or the sulphate of mag-
nesia. There is a spring on the lake shore,
about 180 rods S. from the N. W. corner, the wa-
ters of which are strongly impregnated. The
average width of Lake Champlain against Or-
well is about 1 mile, and the widest place 2
miles. May 13, 1820, a piece of land in the
town, of more than 5 acres' area, sunk about 40
feet, and slid into the lake. The impulse made
upon the water was so great as to raise the lake
3 feet at the opposite shore, a mile and a half dis-
tant. A part of Benton was annexed to Orwell
in 1847. The first permanent settlement of this
place was made in 1783. 20 miles N. W. from
Rutland, and 47 S. W. from Montpelier.

Orwigsburg, Pa., c. h. Schuylkill co. On a rising
ground, in a valley surrounded by high hills of fer-
tile land, and near a small branch of the Schuyl-
kill River. N. E. from Harrisburg 62 miles.

Osage County, Mo., c. h. at Linn. This county
is bounded N. by the Missouri R#er, separating
it from Callaway co.,
E. by Gasconade co., S. by
Crawford and Pulaski counties, and W. by Mil-
ler co. and Osage River, separating it from Cole
co. Drained by Gasconade River.

Oskaloosa, Io., c. h. Mahaska co.

Ossian, N. Y., Alleghany co. Watered by Can-
seraga Creek and some of its tributaries. Sur-
face undulating; soil fertile, argillaceous loam.
20 miles N. E. from Angelica, and 233 W. from

Ossinsing, N. Y., Westchester co. Incorporated
in 1845. The name is of Indian origin, signify-
ing “ the place of stone.''

Ossipee, N. H., c. h. Carroll co. The W. and
S. W. parts are hilly and mountainous, present-
ing a beautiful contrast with the N. and E. parts,
which are moderately uneven or level. Ossipee
Lake is in this town and Freedom. (See
60 miles N. N. E. from Concord.

Osterville, Ms., in the town of Barnstable,
Barnstable co. On the E. side of Oyster Bay.
72 miles S. S. E. from Boston.

Oswegatchie, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Watered
by the Oswegatchie River, a branch of the St.
Lawrence, which bounds it on the N. W., and
by Black Lake, which lies partly in this town.
Surface slightly undulating; soil clay loam.
miles W. from Canton, and 200 N. W. from Al-

Oswego County, N. Y., Oswego and Pulaski,
shire towns, was taken from Oneida and Onon-
daga counties in
1816. Bounded N. by Lake
Ontario, E. by Lewis and Oneida, S. by Madison
and Jefferson counties, and W. by Lake Ontario
and Cayuga co. Watered by Oneida Lake,
Oswego and Salmon Rivers, and many small
streams flowing into Lake Ontario. Surface
chiefly level; soil very productive. There are
no important minerals in this county. The Os-
wego Canal runs along the E. bank of the Oswe-
go River.

Oswego, N. Y., port of entry, and seat of justice,
alternately with Pulaski, of Oswego co. Situ-
ated on both sides of Oswego River, at its en-
trance into Lake Ontario.
35 miles N. W. from
Syracuse, and
178 W. by N. from Albany. This
place, incorporated as a village in
1828, is partly
in the township of Oswego, and partly in that of
Scriba, the river being the dividing line. The
two parts are connected by a bridge
700 feet in
length ; and as the ground ascends in both direc-
tions from the river, a beautiful view of each
division of the place is presented from the op-
posite side. On both sides it is regularly and
handsomely laid out, with streets 100 feet wide,
crossing each other at right angles, and with pub-
lic squares, around which some of the churches
and other public buildings are located. The
court house is on the E. side of the river. The
First Presbyterian and the Episcopal Churches
are beautifully situated on elevated ground, on
the W. side. There is an incorporated academy
and a flourishing female school in the place, and
many of the mansions of the more wealthy citi-
zens are elegant, and richly adorned with embel-
lishments of taste and luxury.

The facilities which Oswego possesses for
trade, commerce, and manufactures, are very
great. Its harbor, next to Sackets Harbor, is the
best on the S. side of Lake Ontario. It is
formed, at the mouth of the river, by a pier
feet in extent, built by the United States at an
expense of nearly
$100,000. The harbor within
the pier is spacious and safe, having a depth of
water of from
10 to 20 feet. Several steamboats
and a large number of sailing vessels are owned
here. An excellent marine railway has been
constructed. The Oswego Canal connects this
harbor with the Erie Canal at Syracuse, employ-
ing the Oswego River for a part of the distance,
and the canal boats are generally so constructed
as to strength, and the form of their decks, that
they may be taken in tow, with their cargoes,
through the lake. A considerable portion of
trade between New York and the west passes
through this channel, and hence, by the Welland
Canal, into Lake Erie. The railroad from Syra-
cuse brings other facilities of business to Oswe-
go, while it opens through this place one of the
most desirable routes of travel from the eastern
cities to the west by the way of Niagara Falls.
From Oswego to Port Dalhousie, at the mouth
of the Welland Canal, is about
150 miles; t©
Ogdensburg, about
110 miles.

The water power at Oswego, afforded by the

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.