In 1792, this part of Braintree was made a
separate town, and called Quincy, to perpetuate
the family name of one of its first proprietors, a
name that will ever be dear to the lovers of
The surface of the town is diversified by hills,
valleys, and plains. The soil is generally of an
excellent quality and under good cultivation.
There are large tracts of salt meadow in the
town, and many large and beautiful farms, which,
in* respect to soil and skilful management, may
vie-with any in the state. The Mount Wallas-
ton farm is noted as the site of an early settle-
ment, (1625,) and as the Merry Mount of Thomas
Morton and_ his associates. This farm belongs
to the Adams estate. The ancestral estate of the
Quincy family comprises one of the most beauti-
ful and well-cultivated farms in New England.
It is the property of Josiah Quincy, LL. D., an
eminent agriculturist, and president of Harvard
University from 1829 to 1845.
The village, in the centre of the town, is situ-
ated on an elevated plain, and is remarkable for
its neatness and beauty. In this village is a
stone church, built in 1828, which cost $40,000.
Within its walls is a beautiful marble monument
to the memory of the first President Adams and
The town house in Quincy is a noble building
of granite, 85 feet by 55, and is a better specimen
of the stone than the walls of the church.
About two miles E. from the village is Quincy
Point, at the junction of Town and Weymouth
Fore Bivers. This is a delightful spot, and con-
tains some handsome buildings. This point of
land, with a peninsula near it, called Germantown,
are admirably located for ship building, and for
all the purposes of navigation and the fishery.
Here is a fine harbor, a bold shore, and a beauti-
ful country, within 10 miles of the capital of
In this town, between Quincy and Dorchester
Bays, is a point of land called Squantum, cele-
brated as having been the residence of the famous
Indian sachem Chichataubut. This place is the
Mos-wetuset, a few miles south of Boston,'' sup-
posed, by some, to have originated the name of
the state. Squantum is a rocky, romantic place,
6 miles S. of Boston, and a pleasant resort for
fishing and bathing.
The manufactures of the town consist of boots,
shoes, leather, vessels, salt, carriages, harnesses,
hats, books, coach lace, granite, slatestone, &c., the
annual value of which, with the fisheries, amount-
ed, several years ago, to more than half a million
of dollars. But the quarrying and working of
the granite or sienite, so universally known and
justly celebrated as the Quincy Granite,'' is the
most important and lucrative branch of business.
About two miles back from Quincy Bay is a
range of elevated land, in some parts more than
600 feet above the sea, containing an inexhausti-
ble supply of that invaluable building material,
so much used and approved in all our At-
lantic cities for its durability and beauty.
This range of granite extends through Milton,
Quincy, and Braintree, but more of it is quar-
ried in Quincy than in either of the other towns.
About 100,000 tons of this valuable article is an-
nually quarried and wrought, by the most skilful
workmen, into all forms and dimensions, both
plain and ornamental. There are in the town
about 20 companies engaged in the business,
employing near 1000 hands. Masses of granite
have been obtained in these quarries weighing 300
tons each, from which were made the columns
of the new Custom House and of the Merchants'
Exchange, in Boston. By means of a railroad
to the tide waters of Neponset Biver, and of a
canal to the centre of the town, this stone is
transported with great expedition and little cost.
Several of these companies have contracted to
furnish the stone for the new Custom House at
New Orleans. It is to be dressed in the smooth-
est and best manner, and delivered at New Or-
leans, at a cost of about $300,000. Further to
show the high repute of this stone, we may men-
tion that a contract has been made for the foun-
dations and ornamental parts of a large Custom
House at San Francisco.
These quarries of granite to the town of Quin-
cy are of more value than a mine of gold; and
it is fortunate for the public that the supply is
abundant, as the demand for it from various
parts of the United States is constant and in-
Quincy has been the birthplace and residence
of some of the most distinguished sons of Ameri-
ca. Among them were those early and devoted
patriots, John Hancock, born here in 1737, and
Josiah Quincy, Jr., born February 23, 1744;
the two presidents of the United States, John
Adams and John Quincy Adams, father and
son, the first born October 19, 1735, the second
July 11,1767. The elder President Adams died
in (Quincy, on the 4th of July, 1826, with the
same words on his lips which, on that day 50
years before, he had uttered on the floor of Con-
gress — Independence forever! '' John Quin-
cy Adams died in the Capitol at Washington,
February 23, 1848, and was interred in the family
tomb at Quincy.
Quogue, N. Y., Suffolk co. On the S. side of
Long Island. 235 miles S. S. E. from Albany.
It is a resort for sea bathing and sporting.
Rabun County, Ga., c. h. at Clayton. Bounded
N. by North Carolina, E. and S. E. by South Car-
olina, and S. W. and W. by Habersham and Union
counties. Watered by Turoree and Chatuga
Bivers, which unite at the S. extremity of this
county to form the Tugaloo. Surface elevated
table land, having the Blue Bidge on its E. border.
Racine County, Wn., c. h. at Bacine. Bounded
N. by Waukesha and Milwaukie counties, E. by
Lake Michigan, S. by Illinois, and W. by Wal-
worth co. Des Plaines, Fox, Pike, and Boot
Bivers water this county, the surface of which is
undulating, and the soil of excellent quality.
Racine, Wn., c. h. Bacine co. On Lake Mich-
igan, at the mouth of Boot Biver. 112 miles E.
by S. from Madison. A growing and flourishing
Rahway, N. J., Essex co. Bahway Biver and
its branches water this town. Surface level; soil
red shale. Situated 9 miles S. W. from Newark,
and 39 N. E. from Trenton.
Raleigh, Is., c. h. Saline co.
Raleigh, city, and capital of the state of North
Carolina, and seat of justice for Wake co., is sit-
uated 6 miles W. of the Biver Neuse, and 27 miles
above Smithfield, the nearest ordinary limit of
navigation on that river. In some stages of the
water, boats ascend to a point within about 8 miles
of Baleigh. The city is laid out with great
regularity. From a square in the centre, called