Stark County, 0., c.h. at Orradeen. Portage and
Medina counties are on the N., Columbiana and
Carroll on the E., Carroll and Tuscarawas on the
S., and Wayne on the W. The Ohio and Erie
Canal crosses this county; the other waters are
Sugar, Sandy, and some other Creeks. Emi-
grants from Pennsylvania and Maryland were
the first settlers. Wells, Congress, Mead, Sippo,
and Turkey Eoot Lakes are found here. The
land is excellent for raising wheat.
Starksboro\ Vt., Addison co. This town is
watered by Lewis Creek and Huntington River,
which are good mill streams. There are three
springs in the town, not more than 20 rods apart,
which unite and form a stream of sufficient power
for a number of mills. The town is rough and
mountainous. Hog Back Mountain skirts its west-
ern border, and East Mountain passes through its
centre, and divides the waters of the rivers. There
is some good land in the town, but a large por-
tion is too elevated for cultivation. Here are
two pleasant villages. 22 miles W. by S. from
Montpelier,,and 18 N. by E. from Middlebury.
Starkey, N. Y., Yates co. Drained by some
small streams flowing into Seneca Lake, which
bounds it on the E. Surface hilly; soil clay
loam. 10 miles S. E. from Penn-Yan, and 190
W. from Albany.
Starks, Me., Somerset co. A good township.
87 miles N. N. E. from Augusta.
Starkville, Mi., c. h. Oktibbeha co. 143 miles
N. E. from Jackson.
Statesboro', Ga., c. h. Bullock co.
Statesburg, S. C., c. h. Sumpter co.
Statesville, N. C., c. h. Iredell co. 145 miles W.
Staunton, Va., Augusta co. An old place, wa-
tered by Lewis Creek, ahead branch of Shenan-
doah River. 166 miles W. N. W. from Rich-
mond. The ground gradually rises from the
creek. The streets are regular and straight,
though narrow. A lunatic asylum is located
Steelsville, Mo., c. h. Crawford co. On the up-
per waters of the Moramie.
Stephenson County, Is., c. h. at Freeport. On the
N. border. The Peetoncha branch of the Rock
River flows through it from N. W. to E.
Stephentown, N. Y., Rensselaer co. Kinder-
hook Creek flows through this town. Surface
mostly hilly and mountainous; soil fertile, and
well suited to grazing. 22 miles S. E. from
Troy, and 21 from Albany.
Sterling, Ct., Windham co. This town was
taken from Voluntown in 1794. The soil is a
light gravelly and sandy loam, and produces
good grain. Sterling is watered by two branches
of Moosup River, a good mill stream. Near
the centre of this town, there is a cavern, called
the Devil's Den, possessing very singular and
curious features.'' 44 miles E. by S. from Hart-
Sterling, Ms., Worcester co. This was for
many years the second parish of Lancaster, and
was first settled in 1720. Its Indian name was
Chockset. At its incorporation, in 1781, it was
named in honor of Lord Sterling, of New Jersey,
an American general. The surface is hilly and
uneven, but there is very little broken or waste
land in it. The soil is fertile. The land is nat-
urally moist, and by the help of the rivulets the
water may be turned over the sides of most of
the hills. There is but one river in the town,
called Still River, from the placid motion of its
waters. In the central part of the town there
is an uncommonly beautiful little village. 12
miles N. from Worcester by railroad, and 40 W.
by N. from Boston.
Sterling, N. Y., Cayuga co. Watered by Little
Sodus Creek, flowing into a bay of the same name,
which, with Lake Ontario, bounds it on the N.
Surface level and undulating; soil chiefly sandy
loam. 25 miles N. from Auburn, and 172 N. W.
Sterling, Vt., Lamoille co. Sterling Peak, in
the S. part of this town, ranks among the most
elevated summits of the Green Mountain Range.
Some streams issue from this mountain town. It
was first settled in 1799. 5 miles S. W. from
Hydepark, and 32 N. W. from Montpelier.
Steuben, Me., Washington co, A maritime
township. 107 miles E. from Augusta.
Steuben County, N. Y., c. h. at Bath. ■ Formed
from Ontario co. in 1796. It is bounded N. by
Livingston, Ontario, and Yates counties, E. by
Seneca Lake and Chemung co., S. by Pennsyl-
vania, and W. by Alleghany co. Watered by
the Conhocton and Canisteo 'Rivers, which unite
in the E. part to form the Chemung, and by
Seneca and Crooked Lakes. Surface diversified
with hills and valleys; soil fertile, and well
adapted to grazing. It contains some beds of
iron ore, and several mineral springs. Seneca
and Crooked Lakes communicate by canals with
the Erie Canal, and the county is crossed by the
Corning and Blossburg, and the New York and
Steuben, N. Y., Oneida co. Cincinnati Creek
and some branches of the Mohawk River water
this town. Surface hilly; soil moist clay loam,
well suited to grass. 16 miles N. from the city
of Utica, and 103 N. W. from Albany.
Steubenville, O., c. h. Jefferson co. On the W.
bank of Ohio River. 141 miles E. N. E. from
Columbus. It is regularly laid out, and con-
tains, besides the county buildings, six or seven
churches, an elegant town hall and market, sev-
eral cotton and woollen factories, flouring mills,
iron and brass founderies, and other large estab-
Stewart County, Ga., c. h. at Lumkin. On the
western border. The Chattahoochee separates it
Stewart County, Te., c. h. at Dover. Kentucky
is on the N. E., Montgomery co. E., Dickson S.
E., Humphreys S., and Tennessee River, or Henry
co., W. This county is crossed by Cumberland
River from S. E. to N. W., and is washed on one
side by the Tennessee.
Stewartstown, N. II., Coos co. The Connecti-
cut River is about 15 rods in width at this place.
The other waters are Bishop's Brook, Dead
Water, and Mohawk Rivers, and Hall's Stream.
Little and Great Diamond Ponds are here; they
are well stocked with salmon trout. There are
no large mountains, although there are many
elevations. The soil of the intervale is rich, and
the uplands productive. The first settlements
were made under grants from Colonel David
Webster, soon after the close of the revolutionary
war. 150 miles N. from Concord, and about 40
N. E. from Lancaster.
Stillwater, Me., Penobscot co. A very flour
ishing village on the Lower Falls of Penobscot
River, in the town of Orono. An immense
amount of lumber is sawed at this place, and