even, but fertile and productive. A considerable
amount of agricultural products is annually sent
from this town to Nantucket and other places. It
is watered by the Mystic and Paucatuck.
The harbor of Stonington sets up from the
Sound, opposite Eisher's Island, and is well pro-
tected by an expensive breakwater.
This place is noted for the commercial enter-
prise of its people. Large capitals are employed
in the whale, seal, and cod fisheries. This place
is accommodated with a marine railway, and a
lighthouse at the entrance of the harbor.
Stonington borough is located on ar narrow
point of land, extending into the Sound about
half a mile. It was incorporated in 1801. It is
handsomely laid out, and is well built. 47 miles
by railroad from Providence, and 112 from New
York by water.
Stony Brook, N. Y., Suffolk co. On the N. side
of Long Island, 197 miles S. S. E. from Albany.
It has a good harbor, and ship building is car-
Stony County, lo. Central. Between the Iowa
and Des Moines.
Stoughton, Ms., Norfolk co. This town was
originally a part of Dorchester, and was named
in honor of William Stoughton, lieutenant gov-
ernor of the province of Massachusetts Bay from
1692 to 1702. Some of the head waters of Ne-
ponset and Taunton Rivers rise in this town.
The highest land in the town is a hill called the.
Pinnacle. A large village of shoe manufacturers
has, within a few years, sprung up as if by en-
chantment.'' From this village is a railroad to
the Canton depot of the Boston and Providence
Railroad, distance 4 miles. This town lies 18
miles S. from Boston, and 10 S. E. from Dedham.
The ancient records of this town are very inter-
Stow, Ms., Middlesex co. This is an ancient
town, and was first settled about the year 1680.
The Indians had two names for it, from two hills,
Pompascitticutt and Shabbukin. The surface is va-
ried, and the soil in many parts light and sandy;
but it contains much good land for cultivation.
The Assabet River passes through the town, and
affords a good water power. 3 miles from the
Fitchburg Railroad at Acton, which is 25 miles
Stowe, Vt., Lamoille co. Waterbury River and
its branches give this town a good water power.
Stowe is situated between the Mansfield and
Hog's Back Mountains, and contains a large tract
of level, fertile land. Stowe is a flourishing town,
and contains 4 neat and pleasant mountain valley
villages. All that tract of land formerly called
Mansfield was annexed to this town in 1848. The
settlement was commenced about the year 1793.
From Hydepark 10 miles S., and 37 N. from
Strabane, Pa., Washington co. A township on
the head waters of Ghartier Creek. 5 miles E.
Strafford County, N. H., c. h. at Dover.
Bounded N. by Belknap co., E. by the state of
Maine, S. and S. W. by Rockingham and Merri-
mac counties. The larger rivers are the Piscata-
qua, Salmon Falls, and Cocheco. The soil is gen-
erally good. The lands are generally hard of
cultivation, but the patient laborer finds an ample
reward for his industry. This county possesses
a large hydraulic power. Although this county
has recently lost a large share of its territory by
the formation of the counties of Belknap and
Carroll, it still retains, in consequence of its rapid
increase in population and wealth, its former im-
portance and power.
Strafford, N. H., Strafford co. Bow Pond is in
the S. W. part of the town, and is about 650 rods
long and 400 wide; its waters form one of tho
principal branches of the Isinglass River. Front
Pond lies W. of the Blue Hills, and Wild Goose
Pond between this town and Pittsfield. There is
a great variety of scenery here. The range of
Blue Hills crosses the N. W. part of the town.
The soil is generally of a good quality. Straf-
ford was formerly a part of Barrington. 15 miles
N. W. from Dover, and 30 E. N. E. from Concord.
Strafford, Vt., Orange eo. Strafford contains
two pleasant villages. The surface is uneven, but
the soil generally good. It is watered by a prin-
cipal branch of Ompompanoosuc River, which
affords several good mill privileges. In the
north-easterly part is Podunk Pond, covering
about 100 acres. In the S. E. corner of Straf-
ford is an extensive bed of the sulphuret of
iron, from which immense quantities of copperas
are made. The settlement of this town was com-
menced just before the revolutionary war. 30
miles S. S. E. from Montpelier, and llSE. from
Stratford, Ct., Fairfield co. Its Indian name
was Cupheag. The township is mostly level and
free from stone, and there is a very rich alluvial
tract of meadows on the river and harbor. The
principal street in the town is 1 mile in length,
running N. and S., parallel to the Housatonic:
it is level, pleasant, and ornamented with shads
trees. This place lies at the mouth of Housatonic
River, and has considerable inland and coasting
trade. Stratford Point, jutting out into the
Sound, is very pleasant, and a noted landing-
place for passengers. 13 miles S. W. from New
Haven by railroad.
Stratfo?'d, N. H., Coos co. This town lies on
the E. bank of Connecticut River. The soil, ex-
cept along the river, is rocky, gravelly, and cold.
The Peaks, two mountains of a conical form, sit-
uated in the S. E. part of the town, are seen at a
great distance. Bog Brook, Nash's Stream, and
several smaller streams, furnish this town with
water. There is a pond in the S. E. part of the
town. First settlers, Isaac Johnston, James
Curtis, James Brown, Josiah Lampkin, and A.
Blodgett. 18 miles N. from Lancaster, and 137
N. from Concord.
Stratford, N. Y., Fulton co. Watered by East
Canada Creek and its branches. A hilly and
mountainous town, with a rather sterile soil,
15 miles N. W. from Johnstown, and 60 from
Stratham, N. H., Rockingham co., is about 8
miles from the sea. The land is even, and well
calculated for agricultural purposes. Farming is
so exclusively the employment of the people, that,
although a navigable river adjoins it, there is
little attention given to any other pursuit. In the
E. part of the town, in a swamp, is perhaps the
largest deposit of peat in the state. This town
was a part of Hilton's Purchase. 43 miles S. E. by
E. from Concord, and 3 E. N. E. from Exeter.
Stratton, Vt., Windham co. This is a moun-
tainous town. Branches of Deerfield and Win-
hall Rivers rise here from two ponds. The soil is
cold and generally unprofitable. Stratton was
settled principally by emigrants from Massachu-