water power. The surface is level, and the soil
Van Buren, N. Y., Onondaga co. Watered by
Camp Brook, a branch of Seneca River, which
bounds it on the N. Surface rolling; soil sandy
loam and clay. 12 miles N. W. from Syracuse,
and 145 N. W. from Albany.
Van Buren Harbor, N. Y., Chautauque co. On
the S. shore of Lake Erie. Has a good steam-
boat landing. 5 miles S. E. from Dunkirk, and
334 W. by S. from Albany.
Vanceburg, Kv., Lewis co. This village is sit-
uated near the Ohio River. 35 miles N. E. by E.
from Washington. Near this place are salt
Van Wert, O., c. h. Yan Wert co. On a branch
of the Little Auglaize. 136 miles N. W. by W.
Vandalia, Is., c. h. Eayette co. Situated on
the Kaskaskia River. 73 miles S. E. from
Springfield, and 82 N. E. from St. Louis. Until
1840 this was the capital of the state. The town
is regularly laid out, with streets 80 feet wide,
crossing each other at right angles, and a hand-
some public square in the centre. The public
buildings are a court house, jail, a United States
land office, and churches of different denomina-
tions. The national road extends to this place.
Vanderburg County, la., c. h. at Evansville.
Bounded N. by Gibson, E. by Warrick co.,
S. by the Ohio River, separating it from Ken-
tucky, and W. by Posey co. Drained by Big
Pigeon, Blue, Grass, Locust, and Little Creeks.
Surface mostly hilly; soil very fertile in the S.
Van Wert County, 0., c. h. at YanWert. Bounded
on the N. by Paulding, E. by Putnam and Allen,
S. by Mercer, and W. by the State of Indiana.
This county was constituted in 1820. It was
named in honor of Van Wert, one of the men
who took up Major Andre, a British spy. The
soil is various; the land level, and of a good
quality. Some prairies are found here. The St.
Mary's Ri ver is the principal stream. There are
several others, and all furnish an excellent sup-
ply of water. The Miami Canal crosses the
Van Zandt County, Ts., c. h. at Jordan's Sa-
line. In the N. E. angle of the state, on the
head waters of the Sabine.
Varick, N. Y., Seneca co. Bounded E. by
Cayuga, and W. by Seneca Lake. Surface ele-
vated in the centre; soil fertile, yielding large
crops of grain. 8 miles S. from Waterloo, and
180 W. from Albany.
Vassalboro', Me. This is a large and flourish-
ing town, on the E. side of Kennebec River, op-
posite to Sidney. There are several large and
beautiful ponds in the town, from which issue two
excellent mill streams, one a branch of the Se-
basticook, the other of the Kennebec. This is a
place of considerable interior trade and business
on the river. Vessels of considerable burden
pass to the ocean from Vassalboro', by means of
the Kennebec Dam. The valleys are very pleas-
ant, and the surface and soil of the town varied
and fertile. 12 miles N. by E. from Augusta.
Venango County, Pa., c. h. at Eranklin. There
is much good soil along the watercourses, but
the surface generally is broken. Armstrong is
on the S. E. of this county, Butler S. W., Mercer
W., Crawford N. W., Warren N. E.f and Jeffer-
son E. Through this county winds the Alle-
ghany River, and in its course receives Ereneh
Venice, N. Y., Cayuga co. Watered by Salmon
Creek. Surface undulating ; soil clay and grav-
elly loam, based upon lime and gypsum. 15
miles S. from Auburn, and 162 "VV. from Al-
Vergennes, Vt., Addison co. This city is beau-
tifully located at the falls on Otter Creek, and is
7 miles from Lake Champlain. Otter Creek, at
this place, is about 500 feet wide, and, at the falls,
is separated by two islands, which form 3 distinct
falls of 37 feet. These falls produce a great hy-
draulic power, rendered more valuable by being
situated in the heart of a fertile country, and on
the navigable waters of the lake. The railroad
between Boston and Burlington passes through
this city. Here are united, in great perfection,
the two great powers,— water for mills, and steam
for transportation,— which cannot fail to render
any place that possesses them an important mart
for trade and manufacture. The first settlement
within the present limits of Vergennes was made
in 1766, by Donald McIntosh, a native of Scot-
land, who was in the battle of Culloden. 12 miles
N. W. from Middlebury, and 21 S. by E. from
Vermilion County, Is., c. h. at Danville. Bound-
ed N. bv Iroquois co., E. by Indiana, and S. and
W. by Champaign. Big and Little Vermilion
Rivers drain this county the surface of which ij
undulating, and the soil fertile.
Vermilion County, la., c. h. at Newport.
Bounded VY. by Vermilion co. Is., and crossed
by the river of the same name.
Vermilion Parish, La. On the southern border
E. On the shore of the gulf, between Vermilion
Bay and Mermentau Lake and River. Low and
Vermilion, 0., Richland co. A township 86
miles N. E. from Columbus.
Vernon, Ct., Tolland co. Rock village and
Tankerooson are pleasant and flourishing manu-
facturing villages. The Hockanum, and a branch
of that river, the Tankerooson, are the principal
Vernon was first settled in 1716. It was a part
of East Windsor and Bolton until 1808. The
surface of the town is varied by hills and valleys;
the soil is a gravelly loam, and sandy, but good for
grain and grass. 12 miles from Hartford.
Vernon, la., c. h. Jennings co.
Vernon, N. Y., Oneida co. Watered by Oneida
and Shenandoah Creeks, has an undulating surface
and fertile soil. 16 miles W. from Utica, and 113
N. W. from Albany.
Vernon, Te., c. h. Hickman co. On Pine Creek
62 miles S. W. from Nashville.
Vernon, Vt., Windham co. Vernon lies on the
W. side of Connecticut River, opposite to Win-
chester, N. H. The surface is generally moun-
tainous and rocky. There are in the town fine
forests of oak and chestnut timber, and quarries
of slate. This was one of the first settled towns
in the state, but the precise time of its commence-
ment is not known. The earliest inhabitants were
emigrants from Northampton and North field, Ms.
18 miles S. E. from Newfane, and about 50 S.
from Windsor. The Connecticnt River Railroad
passes through the town.
I Verona, N. Y., Oneida co. Bounded on the N.