by Wood Creek, and W. by Oneida Lake, and
watered by some small streams flowing into the
former. The Erie and Oneida Lake Canals also
form a junction in this town. Surface level and
swampy; soil fertile. 120 miles W. from Utica.
Versailles, Mo., c. h. Morgan co.
Versailles, Pa., Alleghany co. Bounded S. by
the Youghiogeny River, and W. by the Monon-
gahela, and drained by Turtle Creek and Long
Run. Surface hilly; soil loam. 12 miles S. E.
Versailles, Ky., c. h. Woodford co. 12 miles
W. from Lexington, and 12 S. E. from Frank-
Versailles, la., c. h. Ripley co., is on Laughery
Creek. 45 miles W. from Cincinnati, and, by
post road, 69 miles S. E. from Indianapolis.
Vers hire, Vt., Orange co. The surface is un-
even and stony, but furnishes good pasturage.
Branches of Ompomponoosuc River rise here, but
give the town no valuable water power. The
settlement commenced here in 1780, and the town
was organized in 1783. 25 miles S. E. from
Montpelier, and 6 E. by S. from Chelsea.
Vestal, N. Y., Broome co. Watered by Choco-
nut Creek and some other tributaries of the Sus-
quehanna River, which bounds it on the N.
Surface rather ridgy and uneven; soil of good
quality on the flats. 8 miles S. W. from Bing-
hampton, and 154 from Albany.
Veteran, N. Y., Chemung co. A tributary of
Seneca Lake, a fine mill stream, waters this town.
The surface is hilly and soil productive. 11 miles
N. from Elmira, and 190 W. from Albany.
Vex ay. Ia., c. h. Switzerland co. On the N. E.
bank of Ohio River. It was settled by Swiss
emigrants, who cultivate the vine in this vicinity'
with good success. 94 miles S. E. from In-
dianapolis. 65 miles by water, and 45 by land,
Vicksburg, Mi., Warren co. Situated on the
E. bank of the Mississippi. 50 miles N. N. E.
from Natchez, and about 45 W. from Jackson,
the capital of the state, with which it is connected
by a railroad. The town is on a high bluff, about
200 feet above the river. The scenery is very fine
from the bluffs in this neighborhood. The Wal-
nut Hills, a little above Vicksburg, rise boldly,
with alternate swells and gullies, to the height of
nearly 500 feet, and form one of the most strik-
ing views met with by the traveller on the Lower
Mississippi. This town has 4 or 5 churches, 2
of which, the Methodist and the Roman Catholic,
are fine structures, several private schools, and
1 public school supported by special tax, con-
taining about 500 scholars. An active business
is done here in the preparation of lumber and
building materials by saw mills, shingle factories,
and brick yards. About 90,000 bales of cotton
are annually shipped from this place to New
Victor, N. Y., Ontario co. Watered by Mud
Creek. A somewhat hilly town. Soil sandy and
clay loam upon a layer of lime. 12 miles N. W.
from Canandaigua, and 203 N. of W. from
Victoria County, Ts., c. h. at Victoria. Near
the coast between the Guadaloupe and La Bacca
Victory, Vt., Essex co. This unorganized town
was granted November 6,1780, and chartered Sep-
tember 6, 1781, to Ebenezer Fisk and others. It
is watered by Moose River. 20 miles W. from
Guildhall, and 54 N. E. from Montpelier.
Victory, N. Y., Cayuga co. Sodus Creek waters
this town, the surface of which is undulating, and
the soil gravelly loam. 20 miles N. from Auburn,
and 167 N. W. from Albany.
Vidalia, La. Parish of Concordia. Directly
opposite Natchez, on the right bank of the Mis-
Vienna, Md., Dorchester co. A port of entry
and village on the W. side of Nanticoke ‘River.
13 miles N. W. from Salisbury, on the Wicomoca,
and 33 from Snow Hill, in the same direction.
Vienna, N. Y., Oneida co. Watered by Fish
Creek and other streams, flowing into Oneida
Lake, which partly bounds it on the S. Surface
undulating ; soil mostly productive. 30 miles N.
W. from Utica, and 125 W. from Albany.
Vienna, Is., c. h. Johnson co. On a small
branch of Cash River. 40 miles N. E. from the
mouth of Ohio, and 156 S. from Vandalia.
Vigo County, la., c. h. at Terre Haute. Wabash
River crosses this county from N. to S. The
state of Illinois is on the W., Parke N., Putnam
E., and Sullivan S.
Villanova, N. Y., Chautauque co. Conne-
wango Creek and some of its tributaries water
this town, the surface of which is hilly and
broken, and the soil well suited to grass. 22
miles N. E. from Maysville, and 318 W. by S.
Vinal Haven, Me., Waldo co., includes the Fox
Islands, at the mouth of Penobscot Bay. About
50 miles below Bangor.
Vincent, Pa., Chester co. French Creek runs
nearly through the middle of this town. The
village is situated between Pikeland and East
Nantmill, on the S. W. side of Schuylkill River.
30 miles N. W. from Philadelphia.
Vincennes, la., c. h. Knox co. In the midst of
a fine prairie, on the E. bank of Wabash River,
100 miles from its mouth. The oldest settlement
in the state, having been established by the
French as a trading post in 1730. It extends
over half a mile along the river, which is naviga-
ble to this place. The streets are wide, and
cross each other at right angles. There are ex-
cellent schools here, and a valuable library for
popular use. The trade is considerable, and a
handsome capital is employed in cotton and
other manufactures. A railroad communication
is in progress with Cincinnati and St. Louis. 118
miles from Indianapolis.
Vinton, la., c. h. Benton co.
Vinton, O., Gallia co. On the W. side of Big
Raccoon Creek, 20 miles from its junction with
Ohio River, and 92 S. by E. from Columbus.
There is an abundance of mineral coal and iron
in the vicinity.
Virgil, N. Y., Cortland co. Watered by East
Owego Creek and the Tioughnioga River. It is
a somewhat hilly town, with a fertile soil. 9
miles S. from Cortland, and 148 S. of W. from
Volney, N. Y., Oswego co. Watered by Black
Creek, a tributary of the Oswego River, which
bounds it on the W. Surface undulating; soil
sandy loam. 11 miles S. E. from Oswego, and
159 N. W. from Albany.
Voluntown, Ct., Windham co. This town was
incorporated in 1719. It derived its name from
the circumstance that most of its territory was