eastern part of the county. 45 miles from
Warsaw, Mo., c. h. Benton co. On the N. side
of Osage River. 80 miles S. W. by W. from
Warsaw, N. Y., c. h. Wyoming co. Watered
by Allen's Creek, which flows through a broad
and fertile valley. Surface hilly in some parts,
and soil remarkably fertile, yielding large crops
of grass and grain, 248 miles W. from Albany.
Warsaw, Pa., Jefferson co. Watered by a
branch of Bank Creek, a tributary of the Alle-
ghany. 168 miles N. W. from Harrisburg.
Warwick County, la., c. h. at Booneville. Big
and Little Pigeon and some other creeks drain
this county. It is bounded N. by Pike and Du-
bois, E. and S. E, by Spencer, W. by Yanderburg
and Posey, and S. by the Ohio River.
Warwick, Ms., Franklin co. The territory of
this town was granted, in 1736, to the descend-
ants of 39 soldiers, who went from Roxbury and
Brookline, in an expedition to Canada, in 1690;
all of whom perished, save one by the name of
Newell. The tract was called Roxbury Canada
until its incorporation by its present name in
1763. It was first settled about 1744, and its In-
dian name was Shaomet. This town is elevated,
and contains Mount Grace.- The soil is strong,
warm, and produces excellent pasturage. There
are no considerable streams in the town. Morse
Pond, a pleasant sheet of water, furnishes an
abundance of fine trout, pickerel, and perch.
There is a pleasant village in the centre of the
town, which lies 16 miles N. E. from Greenfield,
and 75 W. N. W. from Boston.
Warwick, N. Y., Orange co. Watered by the
Wallkill and some branches of the Passaic River.
Contains on the W. a portion of the Drowned
Lands.'' Surface uneven and mountainous ; soil
diversified, but mostly good. 24 miles S. W.
from Newburg, and 116 S. S. W. from Albany.
Warwick, R. I., Kent co. This important town,
the Indian Shawomet, is situated on the W. side
of Narraganset Bay, 5 miles S. from Providence.
The surface of the town, along the bay, is gener-
ally level, but the westerly part is hilly, so much
go, that from some of the elevations a large part
of the state may be seen in a clear day. The
prevailing soil is a gravelly loam, strong, and
productive of grain, grass, fruits, and vegetables.
The town is well supplied with a great variety of
fish, and forests of walnut, oak, and chestnut.
Pawtuxet River washes the northern part of
the town, and meets the waters of the Narragan-
set at this place, separating Warwick from Crans-
ton. An arm of the bay extends westward, giving
to Warwick and East Greenwich a number of
excellent harbors. Vessels of 50 tons' burden
pass to the flourishing village of Apponaug,
between 4 and 5 miles from the bay. This vil-
lage is pleasantly located, 10 miles S. from Prov-
idence, and is the site of considerable enterprise
in ship building, the fishery, and the coasting trade.
Pawtuxet village is at the mouth of Pawtuxet
River, a port of entry, and lies partly in Warwick
and partly in Cranston. This beautiful village,
5 miles S. from Providence, is celebrated for its
great hydraulic power on navigable waters. War-
wick is eminently distinguished as a manufactur-
Within a mile from the village of Apponaug
may be seen a huge rock, so completely balanced
upon another, and its equilibrium so exact, that a
boy 14 years of age may set it in such motion
that the contact or collision caused thereby pro-
duces a sound somewhat like that of a drum, but
more sonorous, which, in a still evening, may be
heard a distance of 6 or 8 miles. Hence, from
time immemorial, it has gone by the name of the
Drum Rock. From the ponderous weight of that
part which is thus nicely balanced, it is generally
believed that no other than the hand of nature
ever could have done it. Yet some are inclined
to believe that it wras thus placed by the herculean
labor of some tribe of the natives. There re-
mains no doubt but that this was a place of their
resort or encampment, and that the Drum Rock
served them either to give an alarm in case of
danger, or to call the tribe together from their
daiiy avocations. This rock is considered as a
great curiosity, excites much attention, and con-
sequently is at the present day a place of much
resort, particularly in the pleasant season of the
Warwick County, Ya., c. h. at Warwick. It is
bounded N. W. by James co., N. E. by York, S. E.
by Elizabeth co., and S. W. by James River.
Warwick, Va., c. h. Warwick co. 79 miles
E. S. E. from Richmond.
Washington County, Aa., c. h. at Old Washing-
ton. Mississippi is on the W. of this county. Choc-
taw co. N., Tombigbee River E., and Mobile co.,
S. It has a moderately hilly surface, and soil,
except in a few places near the streams, sterile,
and covered generally with pine. Drained by
branches of the Tombigbee River.
Washington, Aa., c. h. Autauga co. At the
mouth of Autauga Creek, on the right bank of
Alabama River. 23 miles above Cahaba.
Washington County, As., c. h. at Fayetteville.
Bounded N. by Benton co., E. by Madison. S. by
Franklin and Crawford counties, and W. by
Indian territory. Drained by a head branch of
White River. Surface hilly and broken.
Washington, Ct., Litchfield co. Judea, the first
society in this town, was a part of Woodbury
until 1741. It was first settled in 1734. It was
incorporated as a town in 1779. 40 miles S. W.
from Hartford, and 10 S. W. from Litchfield.
A large part of this town is elevated and
mountainous. Limestone abounds in many of
the valleys. Several quarries of marble have
been worked, from which considerable quantities
have been raised. Iron ore has been found in
various places. Ochre, fuller's earth, and white
clay have also been found. The town is wa-
tered by the Shepaug River, a branch of the
Housatonic, which passes through the whole
length of the town, dividing it into two nearly
equal parts. The town is divided into two so-
cieties, Judea and New Preston.
There is in Judea, orWashington, as it is called,
about 2 miles S. W. of the centre of the town,
a place called Steep Rock. From the top of this
eminence, which is easy of access, the beholder
has one of the most interesting and beautiful
prospects in the state.''
Washington County, D. C., c. h. at Washing-
ton, is bounded S. E by Potomac River, and W.,
N., and E. by Maryland. The soil is of middling
quality, and the surface hilly. It includes the
'whole of the district.
Washington, D. C. The seat of government of
the United States is situated on the N. bank of
the Potomac, in the angle between that river and
the eastern branch, near the head of navigation,