Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
■ JERUSALEM PLANTATION. 291
Jefferson is situated in the northern part of Lincoln County,on
ponds forming the heads of Damariscotta and Dyers Rivers and Great
Meadow Brook. The chief of these is Damariscotta Lake, which sepa-
rates the town from Nobleboro, and the Great Bay, a continuation of
the lake lying wholly in the north-eastern jtart of the town. About the
head of this pond is some very pleasant scenery; and a sail the length
of the lake is charming. Dyers Long Pond lies in the centre of the
; town, and sends its waters through the town of Newcastle to Sheep-
scot River. Pleasant Pond lies on the western border, partly in the
town of Whitefield. Damariscotta Lake, including Great Bay, has an
area of about 10 square miles; Long Pond 1.20 square miles, and
Pleasant Pond, 1.10 square miles. There are several smaller sheets of
The surface of the town is hilly. The principal occupation of the
people is agriculture. There is at East Jefferson, on Damariscotta
Lake, a flourishing cheese factory. At this place there are also lum-
ber, stave and shingle mills, a wooden pump and a carriage factory, etc.
At West Jefferson are a shingle-mill and potash factory. Jefferson
and South Jefferson are the other centres. Jefferson is on the stage
line from Augusta to Waldoboro, and is 24 miles from the former, and
20 miles from Wiscasset. Newcastle adjoining on the south has the
nearest railroad station.
The town was settled a few years previous to the Revolutionary war.
John Ball, John Weeks, Ezra Parker, Jonathan Fish, Jonathan Eames,
Jonathan Linscott, Joseph Jones and Thomas Kennedy were the first
settlers. Jefferson was originally included with Whitefield in the
territory known as Ballstown, from the first settler, who came in 1770.
Many of the first settlers came from Boothbay and Woolwich. The
town was included in the Brown Claim,—for which see Nobleborough.
There were difficulties between the proprietors and settlers, which were
adjusted by referees, and titles obtained from Massachusetts in 1814.
The price paid by those who settled before 1784, was 13 cents per
acre; by those who settled later, 30 cents.
Alphonso Ross, Esq., of the Boston Advertiser, is a native of this
town. The churches are the first, second and third,—all Baptist.
Jefferson has fourteen public schoolhouses. The total expenditure for
schools in the year ending April 1, 1879, was $2,661. The valuation
of estates in 1870 was $420,003. In 1880, it was $459,237. The popu-
lation in 1870 was 1,821. In 1880 it was 1,590.
Jerusalem Plantation forms a north-eastern angle
of Franklin County, and is bounded on the south by Kingfield, and on
the north by Dead River Plantation, in Somerset County. The town-
ship is about 6 miles square. The Mount Abraham group of moun-
tains extends into the south-western part, while just beyond the bor-
der, on the north, is the Dead River Range, which enters the north-
east corner of Jerusalem Plantation. The Carabasset River runs
through the township from north to south. The plantation has one
saw-mill, manufacturing long and short lumber; it is also the head-
quarters of the Franklin Land and Lumber Company, The post-office
for the plantation is Kingfield.
The population in 1870 was 32. In 1880 it was 23.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2