302 ESSEX COUNTY.
JA1T1 —was formed from Willsborough, Jan. 16,1798. A part of Keene was taken off, in 1808, of
Wilmington (as “jDansville”) in 1821, and a part of Elizabethtown in 1844. Parts of Peru (Clinton
co.) and Chataugay (Franklin co.) were annexed, March 22,1822. It lies upon the n. border of the
co., w. of the center. The Au Sable Mts., extending through the w. part, gradually decline toward
the n. Mts. Hamlin, Clark, and Bassitt, each 2000 feet above tide, are the highest peaks; the Jay
Mts., a n. spur of the Adirondacks, lie along the e. border. The extreme s. angle of the town is oc¬
cupied by some of the most lofty and rocky peaks of the Adirondacks. The e. branch of the Au
Sable flows through near the center of the town. Yeins of black lead have been found, but not
worked. Iron ore is found in abundance. The soil is a light, sandy and gravelly loam. A
mineral spring, near Upper Jay, contains iron and sulphur. The manufacture of bar iron, nails,
and bloom iron is extensively carried on. An SaMe Forks, (p.v.,) an iron manufacturing
village, contains 70 houses; Jay (p. v.) 50, and Upper Jay (p.v.) 20. Nathaniel Mallory was
the first settler, about 1796.2 The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1797; the first preacher was
KEE1VE—was formed from Elizabethtown and Jay, March 19, 1808. North Elba was taken
off in 1849. It extends from the center of the co. toward the n. and w. The Adirondack Mts.
extend through the center of the town and occupy nearly its entire surface, leaving little or no
arable land. The principal peaks are Mt. Marcy, 5467 feet above tide; Long Pond Mt., 3000 feet;
and Pitch Off,4 2500 feet. The Au Sable, flowing n., forms the principal drainage. The valley
is so narrow that there is scarcely room for a road between the mountain and stream; and
freshets often occur that sweep every thing before them.4 Lake Colden, in the s. w. part, is 2,851
ft. above tide. Iron is found in numerous veins along the course of the river, and is manufactured
to some extent. Keene (p. v.) contains about 30 houses. The first settlement was made about
1797.5 The M. E. church was organized in 1800, and the Cong, in 1815.
LEWIS—was formed from Willsborough, April 4,1805, and named in honor of Morgan Lewis,
then Governor of the State. Parts of Elizabethtown were taken off in 1844 and 1854. The Adiron¬
dack Mts. occupy the n. w. and the Boquet Mts. the s. e. part of the town. The latter range is not
a continuous ridge through this town, hut consists of several isolated peaks, the principal of which
is Mt. Discovery, 2000 feet above tide. The remaining parts of the town consist of steep rocky hills
and narrow valleys, and not more than one-third of the surface is susceptible of cultivation.
Numerous beds of iron ore are found; there are two forges in the town. The scfil is a
sandy and gravelly loam. In the n. w. part is a mineral spring of some repute. TLewfS (p. v.)
contains 130 inhabitants. Wm. Hinckley made the first purchase of land and the first settlement, in
1796.6 The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1804; and the first preacher was Rev. Mr. Burbank.8
MUVERVA—was formed from Schroon, March 7, 1817; a part of Newcomb was taken off in
1828. It is the s. e. corner town of the co. Its surface is a high, broken upland, bordered by
mountain ranges. The Boquet Range traverses the n. w. border, and the Schroon Range the s.e.
The intermediate portion is hilly, with a mean elevation of 1200 to 1500 feet above tide.
Nearly the whole town is still covered with forests, the settlements being confined to the s. e.
corner. The soil is cold and hard, and only moderately productive. On Orrin West’s farm is a cave
of considerable extent. Lumbering is the leading pursuit. ©Imsteadlville7 (p.v.) contains
20 houses; Minerva is a p.o. The first settlers were Ebenezer West, and his sons Nathan,
Ebenezer and John, in 1804.8 The first church (Bap.) was formed in 1810, by Elder Fort.9
MORIAH—was formed from Crown Point and Elizabethtown, Feb, 12, 1808. A part of
1 Among the other early settlers were Dea. Putnam, Samuel
Bishop, Charles, Sami., and Noah Lee, Ishmael H. Holcomb,
Hooker and Timothy Woodruff, Ziba Westcott, and Ziba Flagg.
The first child born was Oliver Holcomb; the first marriage,
that of Timothy Woodruff and Eunice Newell; and the first
death of an adult, that of Mrs. John Smith. Levi Parsons taught
8 The census reports 1M. E. church. A Meth. church was formed
9 There is an extensive tannery at Olmsteadville, which makes
10 Among the other first settlers were Wm. Hill, (first mill
owner,) Thos. Leonard, Richard Miller, Abner Talman, James
Cary, Philo Hawley, and A. P. and Asa Morse. The first settle¬
ments were chiefly made along the line of the Canton and
Chester Road. The first child born was Francis West; the first
marriage, that of Richard Miller and West; and the first
death, that of Elizabeth West.
n The census reports 3 churches: Bap., M. E., R. C.
Named from John Jay, then Governor of New York.
Among the other first settlers were J. W. Southmaid, Joseph
Storrs, John Purmort, Robert Otis, Ezekiel Lockwood, Nathl. Ray,
Josiah Way, and Joseph Fowler. Wm. Mallory built the first mill.
8 The census reports 6 churches; Bap., Cong., and 4 M. E.
A most destructive flood occurred from excessive rains, Sept.
30,1856; and the damage which this occasioned was increased
by tho breaking away of the State dam across the s. branch of
the A u Sable, in this town. The testimony relating to this acci¬
dent (forming a vol. of 368 pp.) was printed by order of the Canal
Board, in 1858.
Among the first settlers were Benj. Payne, Timothy Pang-
burn, Thos. Roberts, Zadock Hurd, Eli Hall, Thos. Taylor, Gen.
Payne; the first marriage, that of Thos. Dart and Cynthia Gris¬
wold ; and the first death, that of Eli Bostwick. Asa A. Andreas
taught the first school, and Zadock Hurd kept the first inn.