Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 303
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Newcomb was taken off in 1828, North Hudson in 1848, and a part of Westport was annexed,
April 9, 1849. It lies upon the shore of Lake Champlain, s. of the center of the co. A narrow
strip of level land extends along the shore of the lake, from which the surface gradually rises to a
height of about 500 feet, where it spreads out into a hilly plateau region, rising into mountains on
the w. border. About one-half of the surface is susceptible of cultivation. The soil upon the lake
is a clayey loam, and in the hilly regions a light, sandy loam. This town is very rich in minerals.
Fourteen veins of iron ore have been opened, producing iron of a very superior quality:1 the supply
seems to be inexhaustible. Black lead, and a beautiful variety of
verd antique serpentine, are also
found. The manufacture of iron forms one of the leading pursuits. Moriah (p.v.) contains
Moriah Academy and a pop. of 275, and Port Henry2 (p.v.) contains a pop. of 503. The first
settlers after the Revolution were Wm. McKenzie, Abel Butler, James McClane, Jabez Carpenter,
G. H. and John Havens, and Joseph Curtis.3 The first church formed was a Cong.4

IEWCOMB—was formed from Minerva and Moriah, March 15, 1828. It lies near the
center of the w. border of the co. The Adirondack Range extends through the center
of the town and occupies more than one-half of its entire surface. The principal peaks are Mts.
Goodwin, Moore, Sandanona, and Henderson, each 3,000 to 5,000 feet above tide. The remaining
part of the surface is a broken upland, with a hard, sour, unproductive soil.
Among the gorges in
the mountains are numerous small lakes. The Preston Ponds, Lakes Henderson, Harkness, San¬
ford, Harris, Dalia, Moose, and Ridge Pond, are within the limits of the town; and Lake Catlin
and the Chain Lakes are on the line of Hamilton co. The Adirondack iron beds, near Lakes
Sanford and Henderson, are among the most extensive in the world. One of them has been traced
upon the surface for a mile in length, 700 feet in width, and has been penetrated to the depth
of 40 feet without any signs of diminution in quantity or quality of ore. It forms a bar across the
river, the water literally falling over an iron dam. This ore? yields 75 per cent, of pure metal, is easily
worked, and makes an admirable quality of iron. For the manufacture of steel it surpasses all
other ores in America, and equals those of the most celebrated mines of Sweden and Russia. The
mountainous character of this town, and its remoteness from the great routes of public improve¬
ment, have prevented the development of its immense mineral resources. There is very littl«
tillable land in the town. Adirondack has about 15 houses. The first settlement was commenced
in 1816, by Joseph Chandler.5 A M. E. church was formed in 1843, and a Wes. Meth. in 1845.

NORTH ELBA—was formed from Keene, Dec. 13, 1849. It lies upon the w. border of the
co., n. of the center. The Adirondack Range occupies the s. part, and a branch of the Au Sable
traverses the
n. e. part. At the foot of Whiteface Mt. lies Lake Placid, a beautiful sheet of water,
4| mi. long by 1J broad, and nearly divided in the center by 3 islands. The noted Adirondack or
Indian Pass, partly in this town, partly in Newcomb, is a deep gorge between Mts. McIntyre and
Wallface. The bottom of the pass is 2,800 feet above tide, and the mountains on each side are
1,000 to 1,500 feet higher. Wallface, forming the w. border of the pass, is bounded by a per ■
pendicular precipice a mile in length and 800 to 1,000 feet in height. Mts. McIntyre, McMavtin,
and Sugar Loaf are each over 3,000 ft. high. Bennets, Connery, and Round Ponds are in the
immediate vicinity. Avalanche Lake, on the
e. line, is 2,901 ft. above tide. The central portion
of the town is a hilly'upland, and the
n. w. part a rolling table land, known as “the Plains.” The
Au Sable and Saranac Rivers form the principal drainage. The soil is a thin, sandy and gravelly
loam. The people are principally engaged in lumbering. North Elba, and Saranac Lake
are p. offices. Settlement was commenced about 1800, by Elijah Bennett.6 The first church
(Cong.) was formed in 1824; and the first preacher was the Rev. Cyrus Comstock.

first death, that of John Atwater, (by drowning.) Bliss Abi
Collins taught the first school. The first authorized ferry was
granted to Robert Lewis, April 3, 1811, for 10 years.

4 The census reports 5 churches; Bap., M. E., Presb., R. C,,

6 James Chandler, Collins Hewitt, and Wm. Butler came in
to reside in 1818. Among the other first settlers were Elijah
Bissell, Abner Belden, David Pierce, Cromwell Catlin, and James
Ramsey. The first child born was Nathl. P. Hewitt; the first
marriage, that of Abner Belden and Bershelia Butler; and the
first death, that of Eliza Butler. Harriet Chandler taught the
first school.

6 Among the other earjy settlers were Isaac Griswold Eb’r
Black, Jonathan Bliss and son, Iddo Osgood, Jerem. Kneeland,
James Porter, and Daniel McArthur. The first marriage was
that of Elijah BIcArthur and Electa Brooks; and the first death,
that of Arunah Taylor, who perished by cold in the woods
Fanny Dart taught the first school.


In 1852, 26,800 tons of ore were exported from Moriah to
Penn., Vt., Va., Me., and Bid. The quantity contracted for ex¬
portation from that town, in 1853, amounted to 107,500 tons, of
which 16,000 were to Penn., 10,000 to Mass., 3500 to Va., 1500 to
Ohio, 1500 to N. J., and 1000 to Me.—
Tr. N. Y. S. Ag. Soc., 1852,
p. 827.


The site and water power of Port Henry were granted to
Benj. Porter in 1766. It is supposed that he erected a mill


soon after, which was destroyed during the Revolution. After


the war, he returned, and, in connection with Roht. Lewis, of


Albany, rebuilt the mill, which has remained up to a recent


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2