Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 310
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


settlement was made in 1796-98, by Jehial Bamum, Noah. Lee, and others. There are 3
churches in town.1

CHATEAUGAY2 —was formed from Champlain, March 15, 1799.    “Harrison” (now Ma,-

lone) was taken off in 1805, Bellmont in 1833, and Burke in 1844. A part was annexed to Jay,
(Essex co.,) in 1822. The surface is rolling,^with a northerly inclination. The principal streams
are the Chateaugay River and its branches. The river has worn a deep channel through the drift
deposits and Potsdam sandstone, forming a wild and peculiar feature in the landscape.3 Half a
e. of the village of Chateaugay is an intermitting spring, rising from the sand, sometimes
flowing in sufficient quantities to carry a mill, and at others perfectly dry. It has no regular
periods of intermission, sometimes flowing steadily one or two years, and again only a few weeks.
Bubbles of nitrogen gas are emitted with the water. There is a constant gas spring 1 mi.
n. e.
of this. The soil is a clayey loam interspersed with clay, dtateajigay4 (p. v.) lies on the
plain, a little
e. of the deep, narrow valley of the Chateaugay River.5 Pop. 360. The first settle¬
ment was commenced in 1796, at the village, and was the first in the co.6 Within the next five
years many families came in from Yermont. In 1812 a blockhouse was built for protection
against invasions by the enemy. In the fall of 1813, Gen. Hampton was encamped here for
several weeks, with a force designed to co-operate with Gen. Wilkinson in the invasion of Canada;
but late in Nov., he returned to Plattsburgh without accomplishing his object. In the spring
of 1814 the enemy invaded the place, pressed teams, and took away a considerable amount of pro¬
visions left by the American army. There are 4 churches in town.7

CONST ABEE8—was formed from “Harrison,” (nowMalone,) March 13,1807. Fort Covington
was taken off in 1817, and Westville in 1829. The surface is rolling, with a northerly inclination.
The streams are Trout River and its tributary Little Trout River. The soil is principally a light,
sandy loam. A strip of sand lies along the s. border, and of swamp along the
n. Constable
(W. Constable p. o.) is a small village on Salmon River. Trout RAwer (p. o.) is a hamlet
near the
n. line, and East Constable is a p. o. The first settlement was commenced near the
s. line, in 1800.® The first church (Presb., organized as Cong.) was formed in 1817.8

IMCM.INSON11 —was formed from “Harrison,” (now Malone,) April 4, 1808. Bangor was
taken off in 1812, and Moira in 1828. It lies on the w. border of the co., and is 47 mi. in length.
n. part is rolling and hilly, and has a soil of sandy loam of good quality ; the central and s.
parts are mostly sterile and rocky mountain regions. It is watered by the same streams as Bran¬
don, and among the hills are great numbers of small lakes. Dickiits®n (p. o.) is on the St.
Lawrence Turnpike. East Biclilusou and Blcklusou Ceutes* are p. offices. Tlio-
masville is a small settlement on Deer River, founded by John Thomas in 1839. The principal
settlements are in the
n. part.9 There are in town 2 churches; M. E. and F. W. Bap.

DUANE10—was formed from Malone, Jan. 24, 1828. Harrietstown was taken off in 1841.
Brighton was taken
off in 1858. It is an interior town, lying s. E. of the center of the co. Its
surface is broken and mountainous, and the soil is light and sandy. Much the greater part of the
town is unfit for cultivation. The principal streams are the Deer River and the
e. branch of
St. Regis River. Magnetic iron ore has been found in considerable quantities. There is no village
in town. Duane is a p. o. Jas. Duane, of Schenectady, son-in-law of Wm. Constable, acquired
by marriage the title to this town, and began settlement here in 1823-24. A forge was built in
1828, and a high furnace in 1838, both of which were run a few years and supplied with ore found

8 Named from Wm. Constable, agent and part proprietor. It
embraces the e. part of township No. .3 of Great Tract No. I.

9 Among the first settlers were Jona. Hapgood, (1800,) Chris-
Austin, (1800,) Wm. Cooper, Solomon Cook, Eli Titus, Saul
Clark, and James Welch. A. Mead taught the first school, in
the summer of 1806. Dr. Solomon Wyman was the first phy¬
sician. The first sawmill was built by James Welch, in 1803,
and the first grist mill, .soon after the war, by Joseph Col¬

10 There are in town 3 churches; Presb., Bap., and M. E.

11 This town embraces the townships of “ Annastown,” “ Wil-
liamsville,” “Dayton,” “ Johnsmanor,” “Cheltenham,” “Lough-
neagh,” and Mount Morris, “or Nos. 7,10,13,16,19,22, and 25,
of Great Tract No. I.

12 Among the first settlers were William Thomas, Jonathan and
Jesse D. Rice, and Reuben Cady.

13 Named from James Duane, proprietor and first settler. It
embraces the townships of “Ewerettaville,” “Fowler,” and
“ Brighton,” or Nos. 12,15, and 18 of Great Tract No. I.


Bap., Presb., and M. E.


Pronounced Shat-a-ghe; probably of French origin.


About a mile above the village this ravine is 200 feet deep,
and in it is a waterfall of 50 feet.


On the 30th of June, 1856, a destructive tornado passed over


the village, more or less injuring every building in it. In the
course of 6 mi. 185 buildings were destroyed, unroofed, or moved
from their foundations; and several lives were lost.


The r. r. crosses this valley on an embankment 160 feet above


the river, and 800 feet long.


A. Roberts, and Jared Munson. Nathan Beeman in his youth


when he surprised that place in May, 1775. He died in this
town in 1850. David Mallory built the first grist mill in the
co., on Marble River,
H mi. n. r. of the village. In 1803-04
a forge was built, by Wm. Bailey, 3 mi. above the village, and
run a short time, being supplied with bog ore.


1 Bap., M. E., Presb., and R. C.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2