Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 492
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Honeoye,1 Canadice,2 and Hemlock Lakes are smaller bodies of water, and are each surrounded by
bluffs and hills rising to a height of 500 to 700 feet above them.

The soil for the most part consists of clayey, sandy, and gravelly loam, formed from the drift
deposits. In the valleys and the rolling region which extends through the central and
n. parts
of the co. the loam is very deep and rich, forming one of the finest agricultural regions in the
State. Upon the hills in the s. part of the co. the soil is made up principally of disintegrated
shale and slate, forming a fine, fertile grazing region. • Upon the drift hills in the w. are some
small sections covered with a deep, light sand, moderately productive.

The geographical and geological features of this co. render it eminently adapted to the various
branches of agriculture; and few cos. in the State excel this in the progress of scientific improve¬
ment as applied to agricultural operations. Wheat was for many years the staple crop; but of late
more attention has been given to the production of the coarser grains, to stock growing, and the
cultivation of fruits. Wool growing has also received considerable attention, and the fine Merino
sheep were introduced at an early period. The manufactures are mainly of a domestic character,
such as pertain to agricultural districts.

The county seat is located at Canandaigua, at the foot of Canandaigua Lake. A courthouse, jail,
and co. clerk’s, office were erected here in 1793, soon after the organization of the co.3 In 1825 a
new courthouse was built; and in 1858 a splendid edifice was erected at the joint expense of the
co. and of the U. S. Government, containing a U. S. and co. courtroom, jury and supervisors’
rooms, U. S. district clerk’s and co. clerk’s offices, surrogate’s office, and p. office. The building is
of brick, with iron and tile floors, and is entirely fireproof. The poorhouse is located upon a farm
of 212 acres in Hopewell, 4 mi.
e. of Canandaigua. It is built of brick, and contains ample
accommodations. The average number of inmates is 136, supported at a weekly cost of 57 cts.
each. The farm yields a revenue of $4,000. A school is taught during the whole year.4 The
general management and sanitary arrangements of this establishment are creditable to the co.

The principal works of internal improvement in the co. are the Erie Canal, which enters the
n. e. corner of Manchester, the N. Y. C. R. R., extending through the n. and central por¬
tions of the co., the Canandaigua
& Niagara Bridge R. R., a branch of the Central, extending w.
from Canandaigua to Tonawanda, and the Elmira, Jefferson & Canandaigua R. R., extending s.
and connecting with the N. Y. & E. R. R. at Elmira. Besides these, there are several lines of
plank road in the co.; but most of them have been abandoned.

Nine newspapers were published in the co. in 1858.5

The Geneva Courier was established by John C. Mer¬
rill in 1830, and continued until 1833. Its publication
was continued by Snow & Williams, Ira Merrill, How¬
lett & Van Valkenburgh, Cleveland
& Hook, and Win¬
throp Atwell, successively, until Oct. 1854, when it
passed into tlie hands of William Johnson, its present
publisher. A daily paper was issued from this office
about 6 months in 1845-46.

The Herald of Truth (Univ.) was started in 1834, at Geneva, by
Prescott & Chase, and continued until 1837, when it was
removed to Rochester.

The Geneva Democrat was published during the campaign of
1840, by Stone & Frazer.

The District School Journal, mo., was started at Geneva in 1840
by Francis Dwight, and removed to Albany in 1841.
The Geneva Advertiser and Mechanics’ Advocate was started in
1841 by S. Merrill & Co., semi-w., and continued 1 year.
The Geneva Budget was commenced in 1852, by Sproul & Tan¬
ner, and continued 2 years.

The New Tork State Intelligencer was published in 1848.

The Ontario Whig, semi-w., was started at Geneva by Wm. C.

Busted in 1850, and continued until 1852.

The Geneva Independent and Freeman’s Gazette was established
in 1851, by W. K. Fowle, and continued by him until
1855, and by H. G. Moore until June, 1857. Since then
it has been published by W. K. Fowle as
The Geneva hedger.

The Geneva Gaily Union has been published since
May 10, 1858, by W. K. Fowle.

The Ontario Gazette and Genesee Advertiser was brought from
Geneva to Canandaigua in 1799, and published by
Lucius Carey until 1802. John Keep Gould, who then
became the publisher, changed its name to
The Western Depository and Genesee Advertiser; and in 1803 it
was again changed to
The Western Repository. James D. Bemis became interested in
its publication in 1804, and in 1808 he issued it as
The Ontario Repository, and continued it until 1828. It was
published by Morse
& Ward, Morse & Wilson, and Morsa
& Harvey, until 1835, and until 1840 by Chauncey
Morse. The last named was succeeded by Geo. L. Whit¬
ney, who in Jan. 1856, sold it to H. G. Moore. The f'd-


Indian name Ha'ne-a-yeh, lying like a finger.


Indian name Ska/ne-a-dice, long lake.


8 The first Circuit Coux-t was held at the inn of Mr. Patterson,
in Geneva, in June, 1793; and the first court of Common Pleas,
at the house of Nathaniel Sanbern, in Canandaigua, in Nov.

1794. The first co. officers were Oliver Phelps, First Judge;
Nathl. Gorham, Co. Clerk; John Cooper, Surrogate; and Judah
Sheriff. The first justices of peace appointed in Western
N. Y. were Asa Ransom and Wm. Rumsey, for Ontario co., in
Dec. 1801. By an act passed April 3,1798, deeds were required
to be recorded in the clerk’s office. This was many years before
the general act for recording in clerks’ offices.


This school is supported by the interest of a fund given by a
private individual for this purpose. The schoolhouse is situated


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2