Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 521
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Amboy (p.v.) 20; and Carterville (p.v.) 12. Joseph Perkins, from Conn., was the first
settler, in 1805.1 There are 2 churches in town; M. E. and Bap., both located at Amboy Center.

BOYILSTON2—was formed from Orwell, Feb. 7, 1828. It lies upon the n. border of the co.,
E. of the center. Its surface is rolling in the center and
e., and moderately hilly in the w. It has
a westerly inclination, and its highest points are 700 to 800 feet above tide. The soil in the
n. and
w. parts is
a productive, gravelly loam, the underlying rock being the Lorraine shale. The s. e.
corner of the town extends into the gray limestone region, and the soil is light and thin.
Boylston (p.o.) is in the n.w. part. The first settlement was made in 1810, on Lots 2 and 3, by
John Wart and Michael Sweetman, both from Canajoharie.3 Meetings for religious worship are
held in the town by the Episcopal Methodists and the Wesleyan Methodists.

COIYSTARTTIA4—was formed from Mexico, April 8, 1808. Hastings was taken off in 1825,
and West Monroe in 1839. It lies upon the
n. shore of Oneida Lake, in the s.e. corner of the co.
The surface is nearly level, and is slightly inclined toward the s. The principal streams are Scriba
and Black Creeks, flowing into Oneida Lake. Iron ore is found in the Clinton group of rocks,
which extend through the s. part. The soil consists of clay, gravel, sand, and vegetable mold, and
in general is fertile. Most of the interior is yet unsettled. Frenchmans Island, in Oneida Lake,
about 4 mi. from Constantia, belongs to this town; it contains about 28 acres.5 Lumber, leather,
glass, and iron are extensively manufactured.6 Cleveland,7 (p.v.,) incorp. April 15, 1857, is
located on Oneida Lake, in the
e. part of the town. It contains 2 churches, 2 glass factories, and
several other manufactories. Pop. 1,005. Constantia, (p.v.,) in the w. part, on Oneida Lake,
contains 2 churches and has a pop. of 600. Bernhards Bay, (p.v.,) on the lake, contains 2
churches, a glass factory, and 360 inhabitants. Constantia Center is a p. o. Soon after the
purchase of Scriba’s Patent, in 1790, Mr, Scriba commenced the first settlement of his lands at Con¬
stantia, and established agents and laborers there in 1793.8 There are 7 churches in town.9

GIIAI15Y—was formed from Hannibal, April 20,1818. A part of Oswego was taken off in 1836.
It lies on the w. hank of Oswego River, in the s. w. part of the co. The surface is gently rolling, with
a slight inclination to the
n.e. Oswego River flows through a valley from 30 to 60 feet below the
general level of the town; within this town it has a fall of 40 feet. Lake Nea-tah-wan-ta, near the
center of the
e. part, is about 1 mi. in diameter. It lies about 25 feet above the river at the head of
the falls. The streams are Ox Creek, Six Mile Creek, and the outlet of Nea-tah-wan-ta Lake. The
soil is generally a sandy or gravelly loam. Bradstreets10 or Battle Island is in Oswego River, about
4 mi. below the Oswego Falls. Starch, leather, lumber, and the products of wood are extensively
manufactured.11 Oswego Falls, (p.v.,) incorp. Oct. 12, 1853, a station on the S. & O. R. R., is
situated on Oswego River, opposite the village of Fulton. Pop. 703. Granby Center and
South Granby are p. offices. The first settlement was made at the falls, in 1792, hy Laurence
Yan Yalkinherg, from Rensselaer co., N.Y.12 There are now 2 churches in town.13

had put an end to the reign of terror and restored much of the
confiscated property to the exiles of the Revolution, when they
returned to France. Several years after, as Livingston stood
upon the hank of the Seine, amidst a crowd of distinguished
Parisians, to witness the first experiment of Robert Pulton in
steam navigation, he was recognized by the Count, who at once
took him to his residence, and treated him during his stay at Paris
as a generous benefactor and an honored guest. Livingston’s man¬
sion upon the Hudson and the first steamboat of Fulton and Living¬
ston were both named, in honor of the lady’s family, ‘ Clermont.’ ”
6 There are 34 sawmills, 2 flouring mills, 3 glass factories, 2
tanneries, an iron foundery, and other manufacturing establish¬
ments in town.

1 Named from James Cleveland, who settled here in 1828.

3 Solomon Waring, Joshua Lynch, and Dr. Vandercamp settled
in town in 1793; anil John Bernhard in 1795. The first birth
was that of George Waring, April 11, 1796. The first store was
opened in 1793, hy Mr. Scriba, and the first inn the same year,
hy Major Solomon Waring. In 1794-95, Mr. Scriba erected in
this town the first sawmill and gristmill built in the co. The
first school was opened in 1797, at Constantia.

9 Presb., Prot. E., M.E., Asso. Presb., Friends, Ref. Prot. D., B.C.

So named from the circumstance of a battle having been
fought upon it between the English, under Col. Bradstreet, and
the French, with their Indian allies, in 1756.

u There are 15 sawmills, 1 gristmill, 2 tanneries, and a starch
factory in town.

18 Henry Bush settled in town in 1793;  Penoyer in 1794"

Peter Hugunin in 1803; Barnet Mooney in 1804; and John Hut
chinson in 1808. The first store was openedinl792, by an Indian
trader by tbename of Fowier; and the first inn was kept by John
I. Walrat, in 1807. The first sawmill was built hy Scbenek <1
Wilson, in 1814, and the first gristmill in 1822. Benj. Robinson
taught the first school, in 1812.    
13 Prot. Episc. and M. E»


Among the early settlers were David Smith, in 1815; Wm.
and Isaac Claxton and John Drought, in 1818; and Sage Park,
in 1821. The first inn was kept by Joseph Perkins, in 1805; the
first sawmill was built by Joseph Murphy, In 1822, and the
first gristmill hy Sage Park, in 1828. The first school was
taught hy Cynthia Stoddard, in the summer of 1823.


Named from Thos. Boylston, who held, for a few hours, the
title of a tract since known as the Boylston Purchase. He never
owned the tract; the conveyance was simply a trust, and quickly
passed into other hands.


Among the first settlers were David Webb, in 1810; R.


Streeter, in 1814; and Peter and Samuel Wells, in 1815. The


first birth was that of Phebe Ann Wart; the first marriage,
that of Samuel Wells and Elizabeth Gordon; and the first death,
that of an infant child of Mr. Wart. Reuben Snyder built the
first sawmill, in 1822. The first school was taught hy Polly
Allport, in 1817.    4    Named by1 the proprietor, Geo. Scriba.


“During the French Revolution of 1793, when the French
nobility were compelled to seek safety in flight, and the trains
of exiles to this country were crowded with dukes and princes
of the blood, the Count St. Hilary, a young Frenchman, and his
beautiful and accomplished wife, a daughter of the noble house
of Clermont, landed upon our shores. Following the trail of
emigration westward, they reached Oneida Lake, then on the


great thoroughfare of travel; and, attracted by the beautiful
island and Its primitive forests, they landed upon it, and con¬


cluded to make it their future home. Here, in the deep soli¬


tude of nature, they enjoyed for many months perfect peace and


quietude. Their place of residence was at length discovered hy
Chancellor Livingston, who had formerly enjoyed the elegant
hospitalities of the lady’s family at Paris. He visited them in


their rural home, and, after spending some time with them, he


prevailed upon them to return with him to his mansion upon


the Hudson. There they continued to reside until Bonaparte


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2