Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 590
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



MALTA—was formed from Stillwater, March 3, 1802, and a part o'f Saratoga was annexed
March 28, 1805. It lies upon the w. bank of Saratoga Lake, s.
e. of the center of the co. Its
surface is chiefly an undulating upland, 60 to 80 feet above Saratoga Lake, and broken by the deep
gullies of small streams. The streams are Kayaderosseras Creek, forming the
n. boundary, Balls-
ton Outlet Creek, an inlet, and Anthonys Kil, the outlet of Round Lake, and Drummonds Brook,
flowing into Saratoga Lake, Round Lake, in the s.
e., is nearly circular, and 1 mi. in diameter.
A swampy region covering an area of several hundred acres lies in the
n.e. part of the town, at
the mouth of the Kayaderosseras. The soil (s principally a light, sandy loam, with clay and muck
in the lowlands. Dunning Street, (Malta p.o.,) near the center of the town, contains 1 church
and 17 houses. Malta ville, (p. o.,) in the s. part, Malta Ridge, in the
n, and Halls
Corners, are hamlets. The first settlers were two men named Drummond and McKelpin, who
came before tbe Revolution and located w. of the lake.1 The census reports 5 churches in town.2

MJSLTGX—was formed from' Ballston, March 7, 1792, and a part of Greenfield was taken off
in 1793. It lies a little s. of the center of the co. Its surface is moderately hilly in the
n., and
undulating in the s., with a slight inclination toward Kayaderosseras Creek, which flows
through the center of the town. This stream has a rapid fall and furnishes a valuable water¬
power. Kayawese Creek, from the w., is its principal tributary. In the
n. part are limestone
ridges, extensively quarried for building stone and lime. The Saratoga mineral spring region
extends through the s.
e. part. The soil is generally a sandy loam. Ballstoaa Spa, (Ballston
p.o.,) the co. seat, was incorp. March 21, 1807. It is situated on Kayaderosseras Creek, in the
s.e. corner of the town. It contains the co. buildings, 2 seminaries,3 5 churches, 2 printing offices,
and several manufacturing establishments.4 Pop. 2,285, of which 1,941 are in this town. This
village has long been celebrated for its mineral springs.5 Rock
City Mills (p. v.) contains 3
paper mills and 34 houses; West Milton (p.v.) a church, a paper mill, a shingle mill, a hoe fac¬
tory, and 40 houses; BlOOdville a scythe, edge tool, and knitting factories, and 40 houses; and
Factory Village 2 paper mills and 22 houses. Miltoia Center and Cranes
are hamlets. The first settlement in town was made by David Wood and his sons Stephen, Benj.,
Elijah, Nathan, and Enoch, who purchased 600 acres and moved into town before the Revolu--
tion,6 The first church. (Bap.) was organized Jan. 22, 1793.7

MOREAU7—was taken from Northumberland, March 28, 1805. A part was annexed to
Corinth in 1848, It lies in the great bend of the Hudson, in the
n. e. corner of the co. The w.
part of the town is occupied by the rocky and precipitous peaks of the Palmertown Mt. Range.
The central and
e. portions are undulating and broken by the narrow ravines of small streams.
The Hudson River forms the
N., the e., and a part of the w. boundary of the town. Upon its
course are numerous rapids and waterfalls.8 The Snook Kil and its tributaries drain the s. part
of the town. The soil is generally a light, yellow, sandy loam, but in the s. and w. are tracts of clay
and gravel. Soiitk Glens Falls, (p.v.,) on the Hudson, opposite Glens Falls, contains several
manufacturing establishments;10 pop.513. Fortsville, (p.v.,) in the central part, contains 25
houses. Clarks Corners, Reynolds Corners, and State Dam are hamlets. Morean
Station is a p. o., situated on the R. & W. R. R. Settlements are said to have been made before the
Revolution; but their history is only a vague tradition.11 The first church (Bap.) was built in 1795,9

water is similar to that of the Saratoga Springs, only less strong.
Gas is copiously discharged with these waters.

6 Benajah Douglas, grandfather of Hon. Stephen A. Douglas,
built a log house near the spring, for the accommodation of
visitors, in 1792. Silas Adams and Elijah Walbridge located
in the N. part of the town in 1784-85. In 1792 Nicholas Bow
built a tavern close by the spring; and in 1804 he erected the
“ Sans Souci Hotel.”

I The census reports 8 churches in town ; 2 Bap., 2 M. E., 2
Presb., Prot. E., and R. C.

8 Named from Marshal Moreau, who visited the IJ, S. in 1804-05.

9 See page 690.

10 In th}s village are 2 sash and blind factories, a tub and
spoke factory, planing mill, broom handle factory, an extensive
sawmill, and marble factory. Cheney
& Arne’s sawmills employ
75 men, run 150 to 190 saws, and manufacture more than

10,000,000 feet of lumber per annum. The marble manufactured
is a black variety obtained from the Chazy limestone in the
immediate vicinity.

II A man named Marvin Was the first settler at Eortsville,
about 1795; Edward and Elijah Durham and Holly St. John

were the first settlers at Clarks Corners;  Hamilton built

the first gristmill, about 1800. ■ Abel Crandall kept the first inn,
in 17981

12 The census reports 5 churches; Bap., Cong., M. E., Union,
and Eriends.


These men were suspected of toryism and were driven from
the co. Michael Dunning, with 6 sons and 3 daughters, from
Conn., came into town in 1777-78. John Rhoades and Timothy
Shipman were the first settlers on Malta Ridge; Robt. and
John Huntef and Jehiel Parks located at Maltaville about the
commencement of the Revolution.


2 M. E., Cong., Prot. Meth., and Presb.


The Ballston Spa Institute, for boys, was established in 1846.
The Ballston Spa Academy was opened in 1855.


In the village are a cotton, oilcloth, edge tool, 2 seamless
bag, and 2 knitting factories, a tannery, and 2 gristmills. A


mfg. co. was incorp. here March 10,1810.


3 These springs were first discovered in the survey of the


gin of a small stream that flows into Kayaderosseras Creek.


The Old Spring, formerly much used, was greatly impaired by


lin Springs and the Low Well. In 1817,4 springs were dis¬
covered within 20 feet of each other in the bed of the stream.
Their properties were nnlike, and after a little time they be¬
came fresh. These springs are generally clear, cool, and spark¬
ling. Their average temperature is about 50°. The mineral
properties are different indifferent springs; but generally the


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2