WORTHBMBERILAMII—was formed from Saratoga, March 16,1798. ■ A part of Hadley
Was taken off in 1801, Moreau in 1805,- and Wilton in 1818. It lies upon the Hudson, n. of the
center of the. co. Its surface is level or undulating and broken by deep ravines. A line of clay
and slate bluffs, 30 to 100 feet high, extends along the river. Snook Kil and its tributary, Beaver
Dam Creek, are the principal streams. The soil is generally a light, sandy loam. This town
shares with Fort Edward the Fort Miller Falls.1 Gansevoortj2 (p.v.,) on Snook Kil, in the
n. part of the town, contains 2 churches and a pop. of 162. It is a station on the S. & W. R. R,
Bacon Mill3 (p.o.) and Wortlinmberland, (p.o.,) in the s.e. part of the town, are
hamlets. Fort Miller was built in this town in 1755, under the direction of Col. Miller. It was
located upon the flat, above the rapids, and was enclosed on three sides by the river. A blockhouse
was built on the heights that commanded the position on the w. The first settlers probably came
in before the Revolution. Among them was a man named Munroe,2 who built the first sawmill,
at Gansevoort.3 There are 4 churches in town.6
PRGVIBENCE—'was formed from Galway, Feb. 5, 1796, and Edinburgh was taken off in
1801. It lies near the center of the w. border of the co. Its surface is mountainous in the n. e.
and broken and hilly in the s. w. The high regions along the n. and e. borders are mostly covered
with forests. Hagadorns, Hans, Cadmans, and Frenchmans Creeks, small mill streams rising in the
mountains and flowing s. w. into Fulton eo., are the principal watercourses. The soil is chiefly a
coarse, yellow sand or gravel of poor quality. Large tracts are stony and rocky. Wooden ware,
leather, and lumber are extensively manufactured. JBarl&ersville (p.o.) and fSagadoria.
Hollow are hamlets. Providence and W. Providence are p. offices. The first settle¬
ment was made previous to the Revolution, but the settlers were driven off during the war.
Among the first settlers after the war were Nathaniel Wells and Seth Kellogg.4 There are 3
churches in town; Bap., Christian, and M. E.
SAH1TOGA 5—was formed as a district, March 24, 1772, and as a town, March 7, 1788.
Easton (Washington co.) was taken off in 1789, a part of Greenfield in 1793, Northumberland in
1798, a part of Malta in 1805, and Saratoga Springs in 1819. It lies upon the Hudson, near the
center of the e. border of the co. A range of high, rounded, and sometimes terraced hills extends
n. and s. through the central and w. parts. These hills rise 450 feet above the Hudson and slope
in every direction. Narrow alluvial flats bordered by high clay bluffs extend along the Hudson.
Saratoga Lake forms a portion of the w. boundary. Fish Creek, the outlet of the lake, flowing
through the n. p,art of the town, is the principal stream; and upon it are several fine mill sites.
The other streams are small brooks. The soil n. of Fish Creek is light and sandy, and in the
remaining parts of the town it is a gravelly and clayey loam. Three mineral springs, known as
“ Quaker Springs,” issue from the Hudson River slate, in a ravine a little s. e. of the center of the
town.9 Scliuylerville,10 (p.v.,) incorp. April 16, 1831, is situated on the river, at the mouth
of Fish Creek. It contains 4 churches, the Schuylerville Academy, a newspaper office, a bank,
cotton factory, and foundery; pop. 1,184. Victory Mills, (p. v.,) situated on Fish Creek, con¬
tains 1 church, a machine shop, and an extensive cotton factory;11 pop. 729. Quaker
Spring's, (p. v.,) near the center of the town, contains 1 church and 22 houses. Granger-
ville, (p. o.,) on Fish Creek, is a hamlet. Beans Corners (p. o.) and Coveville are
hamlets. Settlement was begun in the early part of the last century, upon the Hudson.12 The first
church (Ref. Prot. D.) was formed before the Revolution.13 The census reports 7 churches in town 14
SAEATOGA SPRINGS —was formed from Saratoga, April 9, 1819. It occupies a nearly,
central position in the co. Its surface is rolling or moderately hilly. Kayaderosseras Creek
The name was first applied to a settlement on the Hudson, in
the vicinity of the present village of Schuylerville. It is said to
signify “ swift water,” and was applied to the rapids in the river,
in contradistinction to still water, just below.
9 The water of these springs contains, lime, magnesia, and
iron, held in solution by carbonic acid, and a large proportion
of common salt and soda.
10 Named in honor of Gen. Philip Schuyler, who resided hero
previous to the Revolution. -During the war his buildings and
mills were burned by order of Burgoyne.
n There are 455 looms in this factory. In 1857, 3,565,411 yds.
of print cloths and silesias were manufactured.
12 At the attack upon Old Port Saratoga, upon the opposite
side of the Hudson, in the fall of 1745,'several sawmills and
other buildings, upon Pish Creek and tbe river, were burned,
and about 30 families were killed or taken prisoners. •
13 The British troops made a riding school of this church ■
during the war.
11 3 M. E., Bap., Ref. Prot. D., R. C., and Pnends.
See p. 682.
and opened the first framed tavern the same year. The place
has been called “ Fiddletown” and “ Popes Corners” at different
* Munroe was a tory, and fled to Canada, and his property
1 -— Corey built the first sawmill, in 1786, and the first
gristmill, soon afterward. The first inn was kept by Shank-
Written “ Saraghtoga” until about 1793. Upon the old map