Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 633
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

SUFFOLK COUNTY.    .    633

and powerful; and the consent of Wyandance,1 their grand sachem, was necessary to the validity
of all Indian grants of that date upon the island. The earliest settlement within the co. was
made in 1639, on Gardiners Island, under title derived from James Farrett, agent of the Earl
of Stirling, to whom a grant of the whole of Long Island had been made by the Plymouth Com¬
pany.2 Southold and Southampton were settled in 1640, Easthampton in 1648, Shelter Island in
1652, Huntington in 1653, Brookhaven in 1655, and Smithtown in 1668, by English immigrants
from New England. These settlers were strongly imbued with Puritan doctrines and zealously
devoted to their strict observance.3 (They naturally sought alliance with the adjacent New
England colonies, to whom they were warmly attached, and with whom they were closely united
until they were brought under the government of NewYork. Among the first measures taken by
the colonists was the establishment of religious worship and schools, which in most of the towns
date from the first or second year of settlement. These were commonly supported by tax, often
levied in kind, and sometimes coupled with privileges and grants that are still recognized.

The patents granted by the New York governors created corporations, with municipal powers
and privileges which were liberal for that period. These have never been changed, and are still
valid. The rights were of two classes,—one belonging to all who might gain a residence and
citizenship within the town, and the other pertaining only to the persons named in the patents
and their heirs at law. During the Revolution most of the inhabitants of the co. warmly espoused
the cause of the colonists; but after the battle of Long Island the British ascendency was com¬
plete, and few opportunities occurred for assisting in the popular movement. Several bold and
successful incursions were made by partisan corps'; but the armed occupation of the island was at
no time interrupted;4 During the latter part of the War of 1812'an English fleet was stationed
off the eastern coast; but few depredations were committed. The history of the co. from that day to
the present is only the record of the industrial pursuits of a thriving people.

BMOOM.HAVEIS—was incorp. by patent, under Gov. Nicoll, March 13,1666, with the usual
privileges of a township ;5 and Dec. 27, 1686, the patent was confirmed by Gov. Dongan, and ex¬
tended privileges were granted.6 It was recognized as a town March 7,1788. It occupies the entire
width of Long Island, near the center of the co.
e. and w. It has 20 mi. of coast on Long Island Sound,
21 on South Bay, and above 30 on Fire Island, which skirts the whole s. coast. Patchogue and Bell-
port Bays, upon the s. coast, are branches of Great South Bay; and Old Mans Harbor and Port Jeffer¬
son, Conscience, Setauket, and Flax Pond Bays, are indentations upon the sr. coast from L-1. Sound.
The principal capes upon the sr. coast are Cranes Neck, Old Field Point,7 Little Neck,8 Dyers Neck,9 '
Mount Misery, and Rocky Point. A range of low hills extends across the sr. part of the town; but
elsewhere the surface is level. The principal streams are Peconic River, in the
e. part’, and the Con¬
necticut, in the central. There are several fresh water ponds of great depth and purity in the town,
many of which have no outlet. The soil along the coast, both upon Long Island Sound and South
Bay, is a moderately fertile, light, sandy loam, and in the interior it is generally unproductive.
Along the streams near their mouths are numerous salt meadows. Port Jefferson10 (p. v.) is
situated at the head of Port Jefferson Bay, on the
n. coast. It has a good harbor, and shipbuilding
is largely carried oh.11 Pop. 1,247. SetauKet, (p.v.,) on the bay of the same name, contains 2
churches and 4 shipyards and has a pop. of 1,136. Stony Prooli,12 (p.v.,) near the line of
Smithtown, contains 1 church and has a pop. (in this town) of 542. Mt. Sinaij13 (p. v.,) on Old
Mans Harbor, has
a pop. of 276. Millers Place/4 (p.o.,) Mocliy Point, and Swezys

but a few individuals in Islip and Brookhaven, about 200 at
Shinnecock, and 5 families on Montauk Point. They have lost
all knowledge of their language, using only the English, and are
intelligen t and civilized. They have intermarried to a considera¬
ble extent with negroes, and are probably of more than half Af¬
rican blood.

1 Wyandance died inl659, and the Montauk Indians afterward
became tributary to the Narragansetts.

2 This grant was made in 1635, and, at the request of Charles I,
Farrett was appointed agent in 1637.—
Sough’s Nantucket
Papers, IN.

3 Most of the towns were jealous of the admission of strangers,
and only allowed them to participate in their privileges upon
-careful examination of character and motive.

* By th« act of May 6, 1784, the sum of £10,000 was levied
upon this co. as a “
back tax” for defraying expenses incurred in
the wars.

6 Capt. John Tucker, Dan’l Lane, Richard Woodhull, Henry
Perring, and John Jenner were named trustees in tliis patent.
Patents, I, 81, Sec. Office.

6 This instrument provided that 7 trustees should be annually
elected, in whom the legal ownership of the property of the town
should be vested. John Palmer, Richard Woodhull, Samuel
Eburne, Andrew Gibb, Wm. S itterlee, Thos. Jenner, and Thos.
Helme were named as the first trustees.

7 The Indian name of this point was “ Comet-i-co.”

8 Called by the Indians “3E-nas-se-roke.”

9 Its Indian name was “Po-quott.”

19 Formerly known as “Drowned Meadow,” and called “So-was-
sett” by the Indians.

11 There are 5 shipyards upon the e. side of the harbor, and 3
upon the w.

12 Called by the Indians “ Wopowag.” The great quantities of
shells found near the banks indicate that this was a favorite
residence of the natives.

u Called by the Indians “Non-o-wau-tuck.” Old Mans Harbor
is also called Mt. Sinai Harbor.

u Named from Andrew', son of John Miller, oneaif the pioneers
of East Hampton.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2