Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 651
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


CANDOR—was formed from Spencer, Feb. 22, 1811. It is a large town, extending from the
center to the sr. border of the co. Its surface consists of high, broad, rolling uplands, separated
into ridges by the narrow valleys of streams flowing in a southerly direction. Their declivities are
generally abrupt, and their summits are mostly covered with forests. Catatunk Creek flows through
the center of the town, and the West Branch of Owego Creek forms the
e. boundary. The waters
of Catatunk Creek enter the town near the center of its w. border and flow. s.
e., its valley com¬
pletely dividing the western ridge into two parts. The soil is a gravelly loam, fertile in the
valleys and moderately so upon the hills. The settlements are mostly confined to the valleys.
Candor (p. v.) is situated on Catatunk Creek, near the center of the town. It is a station on
the C.
& S. R. R., with 3 churches, a tannery, woolen factory, flouring mill, a sawmill, and about
70 dwellings. Candor Center, J mi. w. of Candor, contains 1 church, a flouring mill, 2 saw¬
mills, and 20 dwellings. Willsey ville, (p. v.,) a station on the C. & S. R. R., in the n. w. part
of the town, contains 20 dwellings. Soutli Candor, on Catatunk Creek, near the s. border
of the town, contains a church and about
20 dwellings. Weltonvllle (p.o.) is a hamlet at
the mouth of Dolittle Creek. East Candor is a p. o. The first settlers were Thos. Hollister,
Job Judd, C. Luddington, and Isaac Judd, from Conn., who came into town in 1793.1 Rev. Daniel
Loring was the first preacher. The census reports 10 churches


NEWARK. —was formed from Berkshire, as “ WestvilleApril 12, 1823. Its name was
changed March 24, 1824. It lies upon the center of the
e. border of the co. Its surface is mostly
a hilly, upland region, with a mean elevation of about 1,200 ft. above tide. Its streams are the
West Branch of Owego Creek, forming the w. boundary, and the East Branch, flowing s.w.
through near the center of the town. The soil in .the valleys is a fine, gravelly loam, but upon the
hills it is an unproductive hardpan. The greater part of the uplands are yet unsettled. Newark.
Valley, (p.v.,) located in the valley of East Owego Creek, contains 2 churches, mills, an ex¬
tensive tannery, and 75 dwellings, itetchumville, (p. v.,) in the n.
e. corner of the town,, 7
mi. n.
e. of Newark Yalley, contains a church, sawmill, and 26 dwellings. West Newark is
a p. o.
Jenksville, in the n.w., is a p. o. Settlement was commenced in 1791, by etnigrants
from Berkshire co., Mass
.2 First religious association (Cong.) was formed in 1798, by Rev. Seth
Williston, a missionary from Conn.; Rev. Jeremiah Osborn was the first settled preacher, in 1803.4

NICHOES—was formed from Tioga, March 23, 1824. It lies upon the s. bank of the- Sus¬
quehanna, near the center of the s. boundary of the co. Its surface is mostly upland, excepting
the broad valley of the Susquehanna, and broken by the narrow valleys of small streams. The sum¬
mits of the hills are broad and 300 to 500 ft. ahove the river. Many of them are still covered with
forests. The soil in the valleys is a gravelly loam and very productive; upon the hills it is a mode¬
rately fertile, gravelly and clayey loam, underlaid hy red sandstone. Nichols, (p. o.,) Hoopers
Valley, (p.o.,) and Canfields Corners (p. o.) are hamlets upon the Susquehanna. The
first settlement was made hy Ebenezer Ellis, Pelatiah Pierce, Stephen Mills, and James Cole, in

1787. There are 2 churches in town; M. E. and Union.3

OWEGO4—was organized Feb. 16, 1791. Spencer was taken off in 1806. It is a large town,
occupying the s.
e. corner of the co. Its surface is mostly upland, separated into two distinct parts
by Susquehanna River and broken hy the narrow valleys of small creeks. The summits of the
ridges are broad and rolling, and 300 to 500 ft. ahove the river. The intervale along the river
in some places is an unbroken flat more than a mile in width. Owego Creek, flowing through a
broad and beautiful valley, forms the w. boundary of the town n. of the Susquehanna. The other
streams are Nanticoke Creek, from the sr., and Apalachin Creek, from the s., and a great number
of smaller brooks and creeks. The declivities bordering upon these streams are generally
steep. The soil is principally a gravelly loam. A considerable portion of the hilly re-

4 The census reports 5 churches; 3 M. E., Cong., and Presb.

8 Among those who settled later were Judge Emanuel Coryell,

Isaiah Jones, Bass, and Emmons, in 1791; and about

the same time Caleb Wright, on the site of Nichols Village,
and Stephen Dodd, a short distance below. In 1793 Jonathan
Platt and his son Jonathan, Col. Bichard Sackett, Lewis Brown,
and Miles’Forman,—all from Westchester co.,—settled in the
valley. Major John Smyth and his sons John, Gilbert, and
Nathan, from Monroe co., Penn., Benjamin Lounsbury, Ziba
Evans, Jonathan Hunt, Richard Sarles, Asahel Prichard,
Jonathan Pettis, Joseph and John Annibal, Joseph Morey, and
David Briggs, were also among the pioneer settlers. The first
birth was that of Daniel Pieree, in 1787.

6 Owego, “Swift River.”—Annals of Binghamton, p. 110,


They were followed in 1794 hy Joel and Elijah Smith, Israel
Mead, and his son Israel,—the former two from Conn. and the
latter from Vt. Families named Collins, Sheldon, Marsh, Bates,
and Ellis were also among the early settlers. The first inn was
kept by Thomas Hollister; the first store by Philip Case; and
the first gristmill was erected by Elijah Hart.


8 Among the settlers in 1791 were Elisha Wilson, (living upon
the place of his original settlement in 1858, at the age of 87,)
Danisl Ball, Isaac and Ahram Brown, Dean, and Nor¬
ton,—all from Stockbridge, Mass.,—most of them settling in the


Mis* E. Moore taught the first school; Enos Slawson kept the


fti*t store and inn; and E. Wilson built the first mill.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2