gions is yet covered with forests. Manufactures, and commerce to a limited extent, engage
the attention of the people. Owego, (p.v.,) the co. seat, was incorp. April 4, 1827. It is
finely situated upon the Susquehanna, near the mouth of Owego Creek.1 It is the com¬
mercial center of a large agricultural and lumbering district; and since its first settlement it
has been one of the most important villages in the southern tier of counties.2. It contains
the Owego Academy, a female seminary, 7 churches, 2 banks, 2 newspaper offices, and several
manufacturing establishments.3 A bridge 80 rods in length here crosses the Susquehanna.
Pop. 3,041. Apalachin, (p. v.,) on the s. bank of the Susquehanna, 8 mi. above Owego,
contains 1 church and 200 inhabitants. Campville, (p. v.,) on the N. bank of the river,
7 mi. above Owego, contains 1 church ' and 20 dwellings. It is a station on the Erie It. R.
Flemiiagville (p. o.) is a hamlet in the n. w. part of the town, on Owego Creek; South
Owego is a p. o. near the Pennsylvania line. Amos Draper, an Indian agent and trader,
from the Wyoming Yalley, erected the first house in town, at Owego Yillage, in 1786, and
moved in his family in 1787.2 The first religious services were- conducted by Rev. Seth Wil-
liston. The first religious association (Presb.) was formed in 1810, and a church was organized
in 1817; Rev. Horatio I. Lombard was the first settled minister, in 1818. There are 13
churches in town.8
EtSCHFOItD—was formed from Berkshire, as “ArlingtonApril 18, 1831. Its name was
changed April 9, 1832. It is the N. e. corner town in the co. Its surface is mostly upland, broken
by a few narrow valleys. It contains the highest land in the co., estimated to be 1,400 to 1,600 ft.
above tide. Its streams are the head branches of Owego Creek. Its soil is a moderately fertile,
gravelly loam. About one-third of the surface is yet covered with forests. Leather and lumber are
manufactured to some extent. Ridifos’d; (p. v.,) s. of the center of the town, contains a
church and about 60 dwellings. West Richford is a p. o. The first settlements, made at a
later period than those in Berkshire, from which the town was taken, were since the com¬
mencement of the present century;® but the exact date could not be ascertained. There is a
Presb. church in town.
SPENCER.—was formed from Owego, Feb. 28,1806. Candor, Caroline, Danby, and Newfield
(the last three now in Tompkins co.) were taken off Feb. 22, 1811, and Cayuta, March 20, 1824.
It is the n. w. corner town of the co. Its surface is an upland, broken by the valleys of small
streams. The n. w. portion forms the watershed between Susquehanna River and Cayuga Lake.
The ridges have a general N..and s. direction. Their declivities are generally steep and their
summits broad and broken. Catatunk Creek, flowing >e., breaks through these ridges at nearly
right angles, forming a deep and narrow valley. The soil in the valleys is a gravelly loam, and
upon the hills it is a hard, shaly loam. Sjpemcer,7 (p. v.,) on Catatunk Creek, w. of the center
of the town, contains 3 churches, 2 tanneries, a valuable mineral'spring and 75 dwellings. The
first settlement was commenced in 1795, by Benj. Drake and Joseph and John Barker.8 The first
religious meeting was held by P. Spaulding, at his own house; and the first religious association
(Bap.) was formed by Elder David Jayne.3
TIOGA—was formed from Union, (Broome co.,) March 14, 1800. Berkshire was taken off
in 1808, a part of Union in 1810, and Barton and Nichols in 1824. It lies on the Susquehanna,
S. w. of the center of the co. Its surface is principally upland, terminating in bluffs along the river
intervale. The streams are Catatunk and Pipe Creeks and numerous smaller creeks and brooks.
8 5 M. E., 2 Presb., Prot. E., Bap., Cong., Wes. Meth., R. &
® Among the early settlers were Evan Harris, Samuel Smith,
Samuel Gleason, Nathaniel Johnson, - Stevens, Jeremiah
Campbell, Beriah Wells, Caleb and Jesse Gleason,, Ezekiel Rich,
and William Dunham,—many of them from the adjoining town
f This village was the co. seat of Tioga co., then including
Chemung, from 1812 to 1821.
8 Among the early settlers at Spencer Village were Joshua
Ferris, Henry Miller, Edmund and Rodney Hobart, from Conn.,
Andrew Purdv. Thos. Mosher, from Westchester co., and George
Fisher. The first birth was that of Deborah, daughter of Ben¬
jamin Drake; the first marriage, that of John B. Underwood
and Polly Spaulding; and the first death, that of Prescott
Hobart. The first school was taught.by Joseph Barker, in his
own house, at Spencer Village; the first inn was kept by
Andrew Purdy; the first store by Samuel Doolittle; and the
first gristmill was built hy Benj. Drake.
9 The census reports 3 churches in town; Cong., Bap., and
Glen Mary, for several years the residence of ST. P. Willis, is
situated on Owego Creek, near the w. bounds of the village. It
was here that his exquisite Rural Letters were written.
John McQiiigg and James McMaster, from New England,
in 1792; the first store and hotel were kept at Owego, by Wm.