David Rich, who came from Yt. in 1795 and located near Willow Bridge; Widow Earsley, with
five sons and five daughters, from N. J., came in the next year; and for several years these were
the only families in town.1 The first church (Ref. Prot. D.) was formed at an .early period; the
first pastor was Rev. Garrit Mandeville. The census reports 10 churches in town.2
DAWIY—was formed from Spencer, (Tioga co.,) Feb. 22, 1811, and was transferred to this
co. March 22, 1822. Part of Caroline was annexed April 29, 1839, and a part was annexed to
Caroline in 1856. It lies near the center of the s. border of the co. Its surface is broken by range
of hills extending n. and s. 300 to 400 ft. above the valleys. Their summits are rounded and thei
declivities generally steep. The valleys are mere ravines. The principal streams are Cayuga
Inlet, flowing n., and numerous small streams, the latter being tributaries either to this or to
Owego Creek. The soil is a mixed gravelly and shaly loam, with occasional patches of clay, and
is well adapted to grazing. Baistoy, (p. v.,) in the n. part, contains 3 churches and 50 houses;
Beers Settlement; (South Danby p.o.,) near the center, about a dozen houses. West
Danhy is a p. o., near the w. border. The first settlers were J. D. Yaple, Dr. Lewis Beers,
Jabez Beers, and Joseph Judson, who located at Beers Settlement in 1797.3 The first church
(Cong.) was formed in 1807; Rev. Daniel Loring was the first pastor. There are 8 churches in
town.* ’ i
PRYDE1B4—was first erected as a separate town on Feb. 22, 1803. It is a large town,
occupying the central portion of the E. border of the co. The surface of the n. half is rolling
or moderately hilly, and that of the s. half hilly and broken. The e. border forms the water¬
shed between Tioughnioga River and Cayuga Lake. The highest ridge, in the s. e. part, is
1,700 to 1,800 ft. above tide. The principal stream is Fall Creek, flowing s,w. through near the
center of the town, on its course affording several millsites. Several small streams, tributaries
to Owego Creek, take their rise in the s. part. Dryden Lake is a small sheet of water 1 mi.
long and about J mi. wide, lying in an elevated valley near the e. border and 1,500 ft. above
tide. A mineral spring, strongly impregnated with sulphur, magnesia, and iron, is situated one
mi. w. of Dryden Village, and has a local notoriety for medicinal virtues. In then. e. part are two
swamps, each covering an area of several hundred acres. Dryden, (p.v.,) on the s. branch of
Fall Creek, in the e. part of the town, is a flourishing inland village.. It contains 2 churches, a
large gristmill, and several manufacturing establishments. Pop. 522. Etna, (p.v.,) on Fall
Creek, near the center, contains 2 churches, a grist and saw mill, an iron foundery, and machine
shop. Pop. 230. West Dryden, (p. v.,) in the N. w. part, contains 93 inhabitants; Varna,
(p. v.,) on Fall Creek, near the w. border, 170 inhabitants; Mallory ville, Freeville, and
California are hamlets. The first settlement was commenced in 1797, by Amos Sweet, on the
present site of Dryden Village.5 Joseph Chaplin built a road from Oxford, Chenango co., to Ithaca,
passing through- this town, in 1791-92-93. There are 9 churches in town.7
ENFIEED 8—was formed from Ulysses, March 16,1821. It lies upon the center of the w.
border of the co. Its surface is rolling, and it has a mean elevation of 500 to 700 ft. above Cayuga
Lake. The principal streams are Ten Mile Creek and the s. branch of Taughanick Creek. Upon
the former, in the s. e. part of the town, is one of the finest of the beautiful cascades so common
in this co. It is in a deep gorge, and has a total fall of 230 ft. The soil is principally a gravelly
loam. Enfield Center (p.v.) contains 2 churches and about 40 dwellings; Enfield (p.v.)
25 dwellings. Enfield Falls is a hamlet. Among the first settlers were Geltner, John
Whitlock, Jas. Rumsey, Lewis Owen, and Isaac and John Beech.9 There are 5 churches in town.10
Ebenezer Chausen, who located at Willow Glen in 1798. A
single yoke of oxen, at one load, brought these three families,
consisting of 14 persons, and all their household goods, from the
Chenango River. Capt. Geo. Robertson (sometimes called the
“ father of the town”) came in the same year, and settled on Lot
53. Among the other early settlers were Lyman Hurd, from Vt.,
Dr. Sheldon, Dr. Wolf, Irona Peat, Wm. Daley, Joel Hull, and
Jas. Wood. The first child born was Robert Robertson; aDd the
first death was that of the mother of Amos Sweet. Daniel
Lasey taught the first school, in 1804. Amos Lewis kept the
first inn, Joel Hull the first store, and Col. Hopkins, from Homer,
built the first mill, in 1800.
1 5 M. E., 2 Presb., 2 Bap., and R. C.
8 Named from Enfield, Ct.
9 John Applegate kept the first inn, Samuel Ingersoll the first
store, and Benj. Ferris built the first mill.
10 2 M. E., Christian, Bap., and Presb.
Among other early settlers were T. Tracy, S. Yates, A. Boyer,
and M. Reed, from Mass,; Joseph Chambers, Richard Bush, and
Hartmore Earnest, from Ulster co., in 1798; Levi Slater, (formerly
of Slaterville,) Chas. and John Mulks, John Cantine, (first settler
at Motts Corners,) and James Bishop, all from Ulster, and John
Rounceville, from Mass., in 1801. The first child horn was Har¬
riet Rounceville. The first school was taught by John Robinson.
Richard Bush kept the first inn, Isaac Miller the first store, and
Gen. Cantine built the first gristmill, in 1800.
4 M. E., Prot. E., Cong., Bap., Ref. Prot. D., P. W. Bap., and
The first settlers of W. Danhy were Ph. Spaulding,Wm. Hugg,
and M. Barker. The first death was an infant son of Lewis Beards¬
ley. Joseph Judson taught the first school, Dr. Beers kept the
first inn and store, and Peter Yaple built the first gristmill.
6 Named in honor of John Dryden, the English poet.
* The next settlers were Ezekiel Sandford, David Poot, and