Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 683
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


State afterward bought off his claim, for $12,000.1 The first carding machine used in the State
was erected at Middle Granville, in 1808.2 The first church (Presb.) was formed April 16,1782;
the first pastor, Rev. Oliver Hitchcock, was settled in 1786; and the church was erected in 1795.2


GREESTWICH—was formed from Argyle, March 4, 1§03. It lies on the w. border of the
co., in the n. angle formed by the junction of the Hudson and Batten Kil. Ranges of hills, 200 to
300 ft. above the valleys, extend through the central and eastern parts of the town. Bald Mt.,
near Batten Kil, is the principal peak. The declivities of the hills are so gradual that the surface
appears to be rolling rather than hilly. Upon Batten Kil are two considerable falls, one of which
is 75 ft. in height. The other principal streams are the Cossayuna, Rogers, and Stony Creeks and
Livingston Brook. Cossayuna Lake extends into the
n. e. corner of the town. The soil is a slaty
and gravelly loam interspersed with patches of clay. The town is more extensively engaged in
manufactures than any other in the co
.3 Union Tillage,4 (Greenwich p. o.,) on the line of
Easton, contains an academy and 1,173 inhabitants,
888 of whom are in Greenwich; Bald
Mountain5 (p.v.) 225 inhabitants; East Greenwich (p. v.) and Center Falls each
about 100 houses; and lorth Greenwich (p.v.) 70. Galesville (p.v.) is a manufac¬
turing village of about 40 houses, on the line of Easton. Battenville^ (p. v.,) in the s.
corner, contains about 200 inhabitants. Eakeville (Lake p. o.) is a hamlet. It is sup¬
posed that the first settlement was made by the Dutch, previous to the Erench War, a few
families of them remaining at the time of the Revolution
.6 About 1733 a large number of Scotch
emigrants had come over under the promise of grants of land from Government,—which promise was
not fulfilled. Jan. 5,1763, three of these emigrants—Duncan, George, and Jas. Campbell, sons of
Laughlin Campbell—petitioned for 100,000 acres; and on the 11th of Nov. following a patent of

10,000 acres was issued to the 3 brothers, their 3 sisters, (Rose Graham, Margaret Eustace, and Lily
Murray,) and 4 other persons. This grant embraced about one-third of the town of Greenwich.
The first church (Bap.) was organized in 1774; Rev. Leonard Bowers was the first preacher

HAMPTON!—was formed March 3, 1786. It lies upon the E. border of the co., n. of the
center. A range of hills, about 500 ft. above the valleys and for the most part covered with
forests, extends through the central and eastern parts of the town. Poultney River, separating
the town from Vt., is the principal stream. Along its course is a wide intervale of fine land.
The soil is a gravelly loam interspersed with clay. The intervale is alike fertilized and desolated
by the frequent overflows of the stream. Hampton Corners (Hampton p.o.) contains 20
houses, and Low Hampton7 (p.o.) 5. The greater part of this town was included in patents
granted to Provincial officers. The n. part embraces about 2000 acres of Skene’s Little Patent
The first settlement was made some little time before the Revolution,11 by Capt. Brooks, Col,

Gideon Warren, and Webster. The first church (Prot. E.) was built at a very early date;12

Rev. Stephen Jeweth, from N. J., was the first preacher.

HARTFORD—was formed from“ Westfield,” (now Fort Ann,) March 12,1793. It lies near
the center of the co. The s. e. section is broken and hilly, and the center and
N. w. level or
gently undulating. The summits of the highest hills are 500 to 700 ft. above the level of the
Champlain Canal. The principal streams are East Creek and its branches. Slate and limestone
of an excellent quality are found among the hills
.13 The soil in the s. e. is a rich, slaty loam, and
that in the
n. w. a heavy clay. There are several chalybeate springs, the principal of which is

tucket, R. I. In this village are several mills and machine
shops and a large carriage factory.

6 This village is entirely dependent upon the manufacture of
lime widely known as the Bald Mt. lime. At the kilns of R. W.
Lowber 100,000bushels are annually manufactured.

T Among the first settlers at Lakeville were Alexander Reid,
John McEachron, and Robt. McNaughton; at East Greenwich,
Archibald Livingston; at Caz'ters Pond, Asa Carter; near Gales¬
ville, Abraham Lansingh,  Gale,  White, - Tefft;

and at Center Falls, Thos. McLean, Jas. Conoly, Nathan Rogers,
and Smith Barber.

8 The census reports 9 churches; 3 Bap., 3 M. E., Cong., Ref.
Prot. D., and Asso. Presb.

9 A paper mill here manufactures annually 240,000 lbs. of
wrapping paper.

19 Thi3 patent of 9000 acres was granted July 6,1771.

11 Among the^zly settlers were SamT Beman, Peter P. French,

Hyde, Benj. Rice, Rufus Hotchkiss, and J*ason Kellogg

French & Beman kept the first store, and the former the first
inn. Rev. Wm. Miller, originator of the belief that the second
advent of Christ would take place in 1843, resided in this town.

12 The first religious society formed was M. E. The census re¬
ports 4 churches; Bap., M. E., Prot. E., and Sec. Advent.

13 Lime for local use was made in this part of the town.


Capt. Dan’l Curtis, from New Lebanon, N. Y., came into town
about 1780; Capt. Ebenezer Gould, from Killingly, Conn., Nathl
Spring, Asaph Cook, Tim. Allen, E. S. Hodge, Ebenezer Walker,
and David Doane, settled before or about the time of the Revo¬
lution. Benj. Baker kept an inn at North Granville, about 1790,
and Jos. Jenks kept a store as early as 1795. Nathl Spring
erected a gristmill at Granville, about 1787. A school was taught
by Jas. Richards, in 1783, at South Granville.


The census reports 10 church buildings; 2 Friends, 2 Presb.,
Bap., Cong., M. E., Meth. Prot., Wes. Meth., and Prot, E.


Batten Kil is improved by a dam of 8 ft. fall at East Green¬
wich, one of 9 ft. at Battenville, a dam and falls of 25 ft. at Center
Falls, a dam of 8 ft. at Union Village, a fall of 40 ft. at Galesville,
and a dam near the mouth of the stream. The Di-on-on-dah-o-wa
Falls are not improved. There are a woolen factory, a grist, saw,
and plaster mill, at East Greenwich, a manufactory of seamless
bags at Battenville, a woolen factory, grist, saw, and. plaster mill,


at Center Falls, and mills near the mouth of the stream.


The first Settlement in this village was made in 1781, by


Job Whipple, and it was first called “ Whipple City.” It was


erected here in 1804, by Wm. Mowry, who had received his in¬


struction at the pioneer establishment of SamT Slater at Paw¬


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2