Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 684
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


upon the farm of Alvin Briggs, near the center. Among the limestone ridges in the nr. part are
several small caves. North Hartford (Hartford p. o.) contains about 300 inhabitants; South
Hartford (p.v.) 150; and Log Village 50. This town embraces the Provincial Patent,
granted, May 2, 1764, to 26 commissioned officers of the N. Y. Infantry
.1 Settlement was not com¬
menced until after the Revolution.2* The first church (Bap.) was built in 1789.® •

HEBROV—was formed March 23, 1786, and named from Hebron, Conn. It lies near the
center of the
e. border of the co. A broad mountain range extends through the center, occupying
nearly one-half of its entire surface, and a series of high hills extends through the
E. and w.
sections. The summits of the highlands are 300 to 500 ft. above the valleys and are mostly
crowned with forests. The ranges of hills are separated by the valleys of Black Creek and its
principal w. branch. The soil is a sandy and slaty loam, of a light, porous nature, easy of culti¬
vation, and well adapted to resist the extremes of wet. and drouth. In the hilly regions is con¬
siderable rocky waste land. In the
N. andE. are extensive and valuable quarries of slate. North
If ebrou5 (p. v.) contains the North Hebron Institute and 12 houses; East liefer os* (Hebron
p.o.) 12 houses; West Hebron (p.v.) the West Hebron Classical School and 40 houses;
Belcher6 (p.v.) 20 houses; and Slate ville (p.o.)
8. This town was embraced in patents
granted to officers and privates who had served in the French War,—mostly to Scotch Highlanders
belonging to the 77th Regt. of Foot. These grants were made so long after the war that those who
were entitled to them never appeared to claim them. The first settlements appear to have been
made before the Revolution. There are two academic institutions in town. The first church
(Asso. Ref. Presb.) was organized in 1780 ;T Rev. Dr. Gray was the first pastor.

JACKSON—was formed from Cambridge, April 17, 1815. It lies on the e. border of the co.,
s. of the center. The
n. branch of the Taghkanick Range occupies the e. portion of the town, and
several parallel ranges extend through the central and w. portions, rendering the entire surface very
hilly. The summits of the hills are 300 to 800 ft. above the valleys and are generally crowned with
forests. The declivities are often steep and rocky. The principal streams are Batten Kil and a
branch of Owl Creek. In the valley between the hills that border immediately upon Batten Kil
and those farther w. are several small lakes, known as Long, Big, Dead, and Little Ponds. These
lakes are beautiful sheets of water, surrounded by hills, forests, and fine cultivated farms. The soil
is a slaty loam and very productive. Jackson Center (Jackson p. o.) contains 16 houses ;
Coila5 (p.v.,) on the line of Cambridge, about 30 houses; and Anaquassacook 12. Por¬
tions of this town* and White Creek were embraced in the Anaquassacook Patent of 10,000 acres,
granted May 11,1762.8 The first settlers were James Irvine, Peter Magill, and John Miller, all
of whom located in the s. part of the town
.9 The only church (Ref. Prot. D.) in town was organized
Dec. 31,1833; Rev. Jas. W. Stewart was the first pastor. Geo. Law, one of the projectors and pro¬
prietors of the California line of steamships, was a native of this town.

KSNGSBIJI1Y—was incorp. by patent May 18, 1762, and recognized as a town by the State
Government March 23, 1786. It lies on the w. border of the co.,
n. of the center. Nearly all
of its surface is level or gently undulating. A range of hills, rising about 150 ft. above the valleys,
occupies the extreme
e. edge of the town. The principal streams are the Hudson, in the s. w.
corner; Wood Creek, upon the
e. border; Halfway Brook, in the n.w. corner, and Moss Brook.
At Bakers Falls
,10 upon the Hudson, the river shoots down a steep descent of ledges, in all 76 ft.
in 60 rods, forming a scene of great beauty, and affording an extensive water-power. The soil
along the valley of Wood Creek is a hard, stiff clay; in the other parts of the town, a sandy or
gravelly loam. There are extensive quarries of limestone in town, furnishing an excellent building
material; from these quarries was obtained the stone for the locks on the Champlain & Hudson

5 Locally known as “ Munros Meadows.”

6 Locally known as “ Bedlam.”

1 The census reports 7 churches; 2 M. E., 2 Sec. Advent, Bap.,
Asso. Presb., and Asso. Ref. Presb.

8 This patent was granted to Ryer, Jacob, Freeman, and W.
M. Schermerhorn, Johannes, Nicholas, and Peter Quackenboss,
Thos. and John Smith, and Joseph Jansen, all of Schenectady.

8 Among the -settlers on the Anaquassacook were Hugh
Thompson and Ebenezer Billings, and near the ponds John
McLean and Jonathan Conger. A schoolhouse was built in

1780, a little w. of Peter Hill’s residence. An inn was kept by
Isaac Murray about 1790. John McGill built a store of logs, in

1781, on the site of the present residence of Peter Hill.

10 Named from Albert Baker, the second settler in town.


This patent contained 26,000 acres, each officer receiving

1,000 acres.


Col. John Buck, Manning Bull, Stephen and Asa Bump,
John and Edward Ingalls, and Nathan and Sam’l Taylor were
among the first settlers. Aaron and Eber Ingoldsbee, from
Boylston, Mass., came in 1782, and Timothy Stocking, Ebenezer
Smith, and John Paine in 1784. A school was taught in 1790,
at North Hartford, by Thos. Paine, from Conn. A gristmill was
built of logs at an early date.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2