Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 691
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


(Cayuga co.,) 1 church and 20 houses. Butler Center is a hamlet. The first settlement was


commenced in 1802.1 The first settled minister was Mills.2 Rev. Antoinette L. Brown, the

first woman ever regularly ordained in the State, was settled for several years over the Cong.
Church at South Butler.

GALESf3—was formed from Junius, (Seneca co.,) Feb. 14, 1812. Savannah was taken off in
1824. It lies on the s. border of the co.,
e. of the center. Its surface is hilly in the e., but more
level in the w. In the s. w. is a large tract of swamp land. Clyde River
4 flows through the town
from w. to
e. in a circuitous course. The soil is a rich, sandy and gravelly loam. Clyde/ (p. v.,)
near the center, on Clyde River, was incorp. May 2, 1835. The canal passes through the village;
it is also a station on the N. Y. C. R. R. It contains
8 churches, a high school,5 2 banks, a news¬
paper office, a glass factory, and several other manufactories
.6 Pop. 2,260. Marengo, (p. v.,)
in the s. part, contains a church and 20 houses; Cock Berlin, (p.v.,) in the w. part, on the
canal, a church and 30 houses. Angells Corners, in the s.
e., and Meadville^ in the e.,
are hamlets. The first settlement was commenced by Loammi Beadle, in 180O.7 The fust church
(Presb.) was organized July 8,1814.8 Borings for salt water in the vicinity of Clyde have been
made, but without success. One of the wells emitted inflammable gas: the well was soon filled up.

HURON—was formed from Wolcott, as “ Port BayFeb. 25, 1826. Its name was changed
March 17, 1834. It lies on Lake Ontario,
e. of the center of the co. A part of Great Sodus Bay
lies in the
n. w. corner. East Bay, in the n., and a part of Port Bay, in the n. e., extend into the
town. Its surface is rolling, with a general northern inclination. In the w. and
n. w., near Great
Sodus Bay, are several tracts of swamp lands. The lake shore rises in a series of bluffs, the
highest of which—Chimney Bluff—is 175 ft. above the lake, and Bay Bluff 120 ft. Several small
streams flow
n. through tlie town, the principal of which is Mudge Creek, which empties into
East Bay. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam, intermixed with clay in the s. North.
Huron (p.v.) contains 2 churches, a saw and grist mill, and 40 houses; South Huron
(Huron p. o.) 1 church, a townhouse, and 20 houses. Port Glasgow (p. o.) is a hamlet, at
the head of sloop navigation on Great Sodus Bay. The first settlement was commenced by Pere¬
grine Eitzhugh and Wm. Helmus, and some other families from Md., in 1796.9 The first church
(Presb.) was organized in 1813.10

GYONS—was formed from Sodus, March 1, 1811. Arcadia was taken off in 1825, It lies on
the s. border of the co., a little
e. of the center. Its surface is a moderately rolling region, broken
by sand ridges. The Canandaigua Outlet from the s., and Mud Creek from the w., join in the s.
part and form Clyde River. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam, with marl upon the creek
bottom lands. Lyons, (p.v.,) on the canal, at the junction of Canandaigua Outlet and Mud
Creek, was incorp. April 18, 1831. It contains the co. buildings, 7 churches, 3 banks, 2 news¬
paper offices, a union school
,12 and several manufactories ;13 and it is an important r. r. station.
Pop. 3,036. Alioway, (p. v.,) in the s. part, on Canandaigua Outlet, contains a church, a grist¬
mill, and 30 houses. The first settlement was commenced in 1789, by Nicholas and Wm. Stanseli
and John Eeatherly
.14 They settled, with their families, (12 persons in all,) a half mile s. of the

Sherman, in 1804. The first birth was that of Isaac Godfrey, in
Feb. 1802; the first death, that of David Godfrey, accidentally
killed, Oct. 13, 1801. The first marriage was that of Jabea
Reynolds and Polly Mills, in 1805. James B. West kept tho
first store; Maj. Fred. A. De Zeng built the first saw and grist
mill, in 1818.

9 There are 9 churches in town; 2 M. E., 2 Bap., Presb., Prot

E., Germ. Meth., Friends, and R. C.

to Among the other early settlers -yere Dr. Zenas Hyde, M.
Knox, and several families from Mass. and Conn., in 1807;
Josiah Epson, in 1808, and Rodger Sheldon, in 1810. The first
birth was that of a child of Dr. Hyde; and the first death, that
of Mrs. Hale, in 1809. Gardiner Mudge taught the first school,-
in 1812; Norman Sheldon kept the first inn, in 1810; James
Mudge kept the first store; and Elih^ Spencer built the first
saw and grist mill, in 1809.

n The census reports 3 churches in town; M.E., Meth. Prot.,
and Presb.

I2 The Lyons Union School was among the first of the kind
established in the State. It employs 12 teachers and has 800,
to 900 pupils.

is Among these are an extensive manufactory of essential oils,
(by H. G. Hotchkis,) a furnace, machine, and agricultural im¬
plement shop, (by N. Taftoson,) a pottery, tannery, tile manu¬
factory, brickyard, fanning mill factory, and a manufactory of
saddle-trees. About 15,000 lbs. of peppermint oil are produced
annually in the co.,—one-third of the whole amount in the U. S.
Trans. Ag. Soc., 1855, p. 657.

1* John Riggs, Richard Jones, Geo. Carr, Wm. Gibbs, and John
Perrine were early settlers. The first marriage was that of Jas.


John Granby and Wellman settled near the center, as

early as 1803; Erastus Hubbard and Abijah Moore, in 1805;
Capt. Willis, Wm. Hallett, Henry Bunnel, Aaron Hoppin, Mrs.
Bunce, and Morris Craw, previous to 1807; and Seth Craw and

Koger Olmsted, in 1808. The first birth was that of-

Winans; the first death was that of Jedediah Wheeler, in April,
1811.  Yieles built the first sawmill, at the center.


There are 7 churches in town; 2 M. E., 2 Christian, Bap.,
Cong., and 2d Adv.


8 This was Township No. 27 of the Military Tract, and received its


name from having been appropriated to the Medical Department.


This location was originally called “Block House,” from a
blockhouse built here hy Indian traders at an early day. It
was used during the Revolution hy tories as a “station” in
smuggling goods from Canada
via Sodus Bay. It was burned
previous to 1800. The village was first called
“ Lauraville,”
from Henrietta Laura, Countess of Bath, daughter and heiress
of Sir Wm. Pulteney. Its name was changed to Clyde in 1818.

6 It is a union school, formed from Districts 14 and 17.
Incorp. April 24, 1834, with special privileges. This was one
of the earliest union schools in Western New York. The
school employs 6 teachers.


2 large distilleries, 2 steam flouring mills, 2 steam sawmills,
2 furnaces and shops for manufacturing agricultural implements,
a large cooperage, 1 brewery, 5 malt houses, and a tannery.


Among the other early settlers were Nicholas King, David


Godfrey, and Isaac Mills, with their families, from Orange co.,


N. Y., on Lot 70, in the s. w. part of the town, in 1801; -


Creagher, from Md., Elias Austin, Payne, and Capt. John


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2