692 WAYNE COUNTY.
present village of Lyons. They were piloted up the Mohawk, (where they had previously settled,)
and by the usual water route, by Wemple, an Indian trader. Charles Williamson, agent of the
Pulteney Estate, commenced a settlement at Lyons Tillage in 1794, through Charles Cameron, his
local agent. Jas. Otto came in 1796. In 1798, Judge Evert Van Winkle and and 40 others came
in, from N. Jr and Md.; and in 1801, Judge Daniel Dorsey-and family, from Md. Judge Dorsey
had previously purchased of Mr. Williamson nearly 1,000 acres in the immediate vicinity of the
village. Rev. John Cole (Meth.) was the first local preacher.1
MACEDOM—was formed from Palmyra, Jan. 29, 1823. It is the s. w. corner town of the co
Its surface is rolling and irregular. The valley of Mud Creek extends E. through the s. part. It
is drained by Mud and Red Creeks and their tributaries. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam
upon a limestone formation. Macedon, (p. v.,) a canal village, was incorp. Nov. 1856. It
contains 2 churches, a saw and grist mill, furnace, and machine shop, and about 500 inhabitants.
Macedon Center (p. v.) is incorp., and contains 3 churches, the Macedon Academy, and 20
houses. The first settlement was made as early as 1789, by Webb Harwood and Ebenezer Reed.2
The first church (Bap.) was organized in 1800.3
MARION—.was formed from Williamson, as “ WinchesterApril 18, 1825. Its name was
changed April 15, 1826. It is an interior town, lying w. of the center of the co. Its surface is
broken by sandy hills' and gravelly ridges; the Niagara limestone crops out in the n. part. It is
drained by East Red Creek, which flows s. into Mud Creek. The soil is a gravelly, calcareous loam,
and drift. Limestone is quarried in the n. part, for building purposes and public works. Near
Marion Village is a sulphur spring. Marlon, (p.v.,) in the s. part, contains 4 churches, the
Marion Collegiate Institute, a furnace and machine shop, a fanning mill factory, and 390 in¬
habitants. The first settlement was commenced in 1796, by Henry Lovell.4 The first church
(Bapt.) was organized Nov. 1, 1804.5
ONTARIO—was formed from Williamson, as “Freetown,” March 27, 1807. Its name was
changed Feb. 12, 1808. Walworth was taken off in 1829. It is the n. w. corner town of the co.,
Lake Ontario forming its n. boundary. Its surface is mostly level, with a general inclination
toward the lake. It is drained by several streams running n. to the lake, the principal of which
are Bear, Deer, and Davis Creeks. The soil is a sandy, gravelly loam, with drift and muck n. of
the ridge. Between the lake shore and the ridge road are extensive marshes, heavily timbered
Iron ore, in the form of red oxid, is found in large quantities in the Clinton group, extending e-
and w. through the center of the town. Salt was formerly manufactured to some extent. Ontario,
(p.v.,) in the s.e. part, contains a church, steam sawmill, furnace, and 25 houses; Ontario
Center, 2 mi. w., a church and 20 houses; Furnace Tillage, near the center, a furnace®
and 16 houses. Mew Boston, on the lake shore, is a hamlet. The first settlement was com¬
menced by Freeman Hopkins, from Mass., in 1806.7 The first church (Bap.) was organized in
1811,8 by Elder Lyon.
PALMYRA—was formed in Jan. 1789. Macedon was taken off in 1823. It lies on the s.
border of the co., w. of the center. Its surface is undulating. Mud Creek flows E. through the
town, s. of the center. Its tributaries are East and West Red Creeks and several, small streams.
The soil is a calcareous loam, with marl on the creek bottoms, and drift, sand, and gravel on the
hills. Palmyra, (p.v.,) in the s.w. part, was incorp. April 9, 1819. It is an important canal
village, and is a station on the N. Y. C. R. R. It contains 5 churches, the Palmyra Union School,9
Otto and a daughter of Capt. John Dunn. John Riggs kept the
first inn, in 1801; Judge Daniel Dorsey, the first store; Henry
Tower, agent of Mr. Williamson, built the first mills, at Alloway,
in 1796; and Dorsey & Barney, the first carding and cloth dress¬
ing mill,' in 1817.
t There are 8 churches in town; 2 M. E., Presb., Prot. E.,
Bap., Evan. Luth., Germ. Evan. Ref., and R. C-
2 Israel Delano, from Mass., and David Comstock, settled in
the N. part, and Darius Comstock and Jerome Smith in the cen¬
tral part, in 1790. Jacob Gannett, John Gibson, Barnabas
Brown, Abner Hill, Adam Kingman, - Spear, Jonathan
Warner, Constant Southworth, — Reid, Barney Packard, and
Philip Woods, from Mass., in 1791. A number of Friends came
in 1800 from Penn, and Mass. The first child born was Enoch
Gannett, in 1791; the first death was that of David White.
Barnabas Reed taught the first school; Wm. Porter kept the
first inn, and Jacob Gannett built the first mill.
3 There are 5 churches in town; 2 Friends, Bap., M. E., and R. C.
* The first settlers were M. Blakesley, Ezra Phelps, D. Sher¬
man, David and Isaac Sweezy, (in 1797,) Wm. B. Cogswell, and
Reuben Adams. The first birth was in the family of David
Lovell; the first death, that of Joel Phelps, in 1800. Widow
Stiles kept the first inn, in 1799; and--built the first
gristmill, in 1801.
5 There are 4 churches in town; Cong., M.E., Bap., and Christ’n.
6 The “Wayne Co. Iron Co.” manufacture about 6 tons of pig
iron per day, from ore dug in town.
7 Among the early settlers were Peter Thatcher and James
Leavins, who settled on the lake shore, and Noah Fuller, in
1809; Willard Church, Isaac Simmons, John Case, Wm. Middle¬
ton, Jared Putnam, David Jennings, and Amos Thayer, from
Conn., in 1810. In the S. part settlement commenced in 1808
Daniel Inman settled at the Corners in 1809; John Edmonds,
Sami. Sabin, Abraham Smith, Wm. Billings, Lewis Janes, and
Geo. Sawyer, near the same place, soon after. Alfred Town,
Nathaniel Grant, and Wm. Greenwood located at West Corners.
The first child born was Melissa Hopkins, May 7, 1806. Daniei
Inman kept the first inn, in 1811, and Freeman Hopkins built
the first sawmill.
8 There are 4 churches in town; 2 M. E., Presb., and Bap.
9 Incorp. in 1848. Employs 10 teachers and averages about