a bank, 2 printing offices, and a number of manufactories.1 Pop. 2,310. East Palmyra,
(p. y.,) a canal and r. r. station, in the e. part, contains 2 churches, a gristmill, and 20 houses.
The first settlement was made by John Swift, in 1789 or ’90.2 In the winter of 1788-89, John Swift and
Col. John Jenkins purchased Tp. 12, R. 2, now Palmyra, and commenced the survey of it in March.
During the summer, John Swift moved into the town, and erected a log house and storehouse a little
N. of the lower end of Main St., Palmyra. Before the close of the year 1789, Webb Harwood and
family, Noah Porter, Jonathan Warner, and Bennett Bates, from Mass., came in. Mr. Harwood
settled a little w. of the village. David White and family came in in 1790. The first church (Presb.)
was formed in 1793 ; Rev. Eleazur Fairbanks was the first pastor.3 Joseph Smith, the father of the
prophet, settled a little s. of Palmyra Village in 1819. The plates of the Mormon Bible were said to
have been dug up on a hillside in Manchester, Ontario co., a little s. of the Palmyra line. The
Smiths were money diggers, and had previously been digging in this locality for gold. The Rook
was printed at the office of the Wayne Sentinel, Martin Harris, a convert, mortgaging his farm to
defray the expense.
SIOSE4—was formed from Wolcott, Feb. 5,1826. It lies in the interior of the co., e. of the center.
Its surface is mostly undulating or level, with drift ridges in the s. e. Several small tracts of swamp
land lie in different parts of the town. The streams are small; Mudge, Sherman, and Thomas Creeks
are the principal. The soil is a gravelly loam, intermixed with clay on the elevations and with muck
on the lowlands. The highest point is 140 ft. above Lake Ontario. Limestone approaches the sur¬
face in the N. part, and has been quarried to some extent for lime and for building purposes. Hose
Valley, (Rose p.o.,) near the center, contains 3 churches, a steam sawmill, and tannery. Pop.
218. Wayne Center, in the w. part, contains 20 houses; Glenmark Falls,5 in the w. part,
contains 2 gristmills, 2 sawmills, and 10 dwellings. The first settlement was made in 1805, by
Caleb Melvin and Alpheus Harman.5 The first church (M. E.) was organized in 1824.6
SAVAMWAH7—was formed from Galen, Nov. 24, 1824. It is the s.e. corner town of the co.
Its surface is broken by drift ridges in the sr., and is low and marshy in the s.; about one-third of
the s. part is a woodland marsh, known as Crusoe Island. Seneca River forms the s. part of the
e. boundary. Crusoe Lake is a small, shallow body of water near the center; its outlet, Crusoe
Cr'eek, flows into Seneca River. The soil in the n. is a sandy and gravelly loam, and in the s. it is
principally composed of muck and shell marl.8 A tract of about 1,900 acres in the s. e. part is
an open marsh, producing coarse grass. Savannah, (p. v.,) near the center, is a station upon
the N. Y. C. R. R., and contains 20 houses. The first settlement was made by Elias Converse and
Joseph Mozier, in 1812.10 The first preacher was Rev. Wiers, (Bap.) There is no church
SOUITS11—was formed in Jan. 1789. Williamson was taken off in 1802, and Lyons in 1811.
It is the central town on the n. border of the co., and is bounded n. by Lake Ontario. A part of
Great Sodus Bay lies in the n. e. corner. Its surface in the n. part is mostly level, with a gentle
inclination toward the lake. A ridge 140 to 190 ft. higher than the surface of the lake passes through
near the center; and s. of this the surface is broken by several ridges extending n. and s. The lake
shore varies in height from a low swamp to bluffs 70 ft. high. Second and Salmon Creeks are the
principal streams. The soil in the n. part is a clay and sandy loam, and in the s. gravelly loam. The
manufacture of lime is extensively carried on in the s. part; and red sandstone is quarried in the s. w.
Red oxid of iron (argillaceous ore) is found 2 mi. w. of Sodus Point, Salt was manufactured in 1831
4 Named from Robert S. Rose, Esq., of Geneva.
5 There is a fall at this place, on Thomas Creek, of 22 ft.
6 Among the other early settlers Were Milton Salisbury, —-
Crafts, John Sherman, Joel Bishop, sr., Lott Stuart, Aaron Shep
ard, Chas. Thomas, Pomeroy, and Bannister. The first
birth was that of a child of Mr. Salisbury, in 1812; the first
marriage, that of Hosea Gillett and Hannah Burnham, in Jan.
1813; and the first death, a child of Harvey Gillett, in 1812.
Sally Bishop taught the first school, in 1813; and Oliver Wet-
more built the first sawmill, in 1812.
t There are 3 churches in town; Presb., M. E., and Bap.
8 Named from the surface in the s. part.
9 The Galen Salt Works of an early period were in this town
10 Among the early settlers were Michael Weatherwax, Benj.
Seeley, Garret Burnham, Henry Taylor, Chauncey Ives, John
Green, Abner and Ezra Rockway, Henry Myers, David Cush¬
man, Smith Ward, and Sampson McBane, mostly from Eastern
N. Y. The first marriage was that of Geo. Fredenburgh and
Sally Converse; the first birth was that of a child of Geo. Fre¬
denburgh; and the first death, that of Sweetman. Loria
Brown taught the first school, in 1817.
H Called by the Indians “Assorodus,” meaning “ silvery water.”
A machine shop and manufactory of agricultural imple¬
ments, 2 furnaces, scale factory, (by J. Allen, jr.,) distillery,
gas works, and J. M. Jones & Co., manufacturers of power and
job printing presses.
The settlers that followed in 1790-91-92, as near as can be
ascertained, were Lemuel Spear, Wm. Jackques, James Gallo¬
way, Jonathan Willet, the Mattisons, Gideon Durfee, sr., and
his sons,—Gideon, Edward, Job, Pardon, Stephen, and Lemuel,
—Jos. Reeves, Wm., James, and Thomas Rogers, John Russell,
Nathan Harris, David Wilcox, Joel Poster, Abraham Poster,
Elias Reeves, and Luther Sanford. In 1791 “The Long Island
Co.,” through Elias Reeves, J. Foster, Wm. Hopkins, and Luther
Sanford, purchased 5,500 acres near East Palmyra, at 50 cts. per
and Joseph Colt the first store, at an early day. Jonah Howell
built the first mill, 1 mi. E. of the village.
The census reports 10 churches in town; 2 Presb., 2 M. E.,
Prot. E., Bap., Christian, Cong., Friends, and R. O.