16/. 11*. 3d.; patron, the Archbishop
of York. Near the village are Darring-
ton Hall, the seat of Robert Oliver,
Esq. and Grove Hall, the seat of Wil-
liam Lee, Esq. The parish contains
the township of Stapelton ; entire po-
Darton, W. R. (8) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Stain-
cross, 3§ miles N. W. from Barnsley;
inhabitants, 1340; a vicarage, value
12/. 10s.; patron G. W. Wentworth,
Esq. In this place is a free grammar
school, founded by George Beaumont,
Esq. 1675. Darton Church is a beau-
tiful and spacious structure : the parish
abounds in coal and wood, and con-
tains the townships of Barugh and Kex-
borough ; entire population, 2176.
Daw Green, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Dews-
bury, wapentake of Agbrigg, § mile W.
Day House, W. R. (8) a small
hamlet in the township of Barugh, pa-
rish of Darton, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 2 miles N. W. from Barnsley.
Dean Head, W. R. (7). See
Dean Head, W. R. (8) a small
hamlet in the township of Hunshelf,
parish of Penistone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 4 miles S. from Penistone.
Deanshaw, W. R. (7) a hamlet in
the township of Quick, parish of Roch-
dale, Lancashire, wapentake of Ag-
brigg, 4 miles N. from Dobeross.
Dearn, W. R. (8) a small river
which takes its rise about 6 miles N.W.
from Barnsley, and passing, in a south-
west direction, Darfield and Adwick,
joins the Don near Conisborough.
Dearn and Dove Canal, W. R.
(8) This work takes its rise from the
cut made to improve the navigation of
the Don, between Swinton and Mex-
borough, and proceeds in a N. W. di-
rection, through Wath and Womb well,
to its junction with the Barnsley Canal;
the length of this navigation is near
ten miles, and there are two short sub-
Deep Car, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Bradfield, parish of
Ecclesfield, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 5 miles S. from Penistone.
Deepdale, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Buckden, parish of
Arncliffe, wapentake of Staincliffe, 6
miles N. W. from Kettlewell.
Deepdale, N. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Lartington, parish
of Romaldkirk, wapentake of Gilling
West, 1 mile S.W. from Barnard Castle,
Deepdale, N.R. (3) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Cayton, wa-
pentake of Pickering Lythe, 2 miles S.
Deepdale Mills, W. R. (1) a
hamlet in the township of Dent, parish
of Sedbergh, wapentake of Ewcross, 1 i
mile S. E. from Dent.
Deepdale Head, W. R. (4) a
small hamlet in the township of Wig-
glesworth, parish of Long Preston,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 6 miles S.
Deighton, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Northallerton, wapentake
of Allertonshire, 5 miles N.from North-
allerton ; inhabitants, 134. Here is a
chapel of ease to Northallerton.
Deighton, E. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Escrick, wapentake of
Ouse and Derwent, 5 miles S. from
York ; inhabitants, 168: in this town-
ship is the small hamlet of Deighton
Deighton, W. R. (7) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Hudders-
field, wapentake of Agbrigg, 2% miles
N. from Huddersfield.
Deighton Kirk, W. R. (5) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake
of Claro, li mile N. from Wetherby;
inhabitants, 371; a rectory, value
15/. 11s. lOfc?.; patron, the Rev. Dr.
Geldart, who is also incumbent and
lord of the manor. The church is an-