the township and parish of Danby, wa-
pentake of Langbarugh, 10 miles S. E.
Howorth Hall, W.R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Brindsworth,
parish of Rotherham, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 2-§ miles S.
How Royd, W. R. (7). See Bark-
Hows ham, E. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Scrayingham, wapentake
of Buckrose, 6 miles S. from Malton;
inhabitants, 225. Howsham Hall is
the seat of George Cholmley, Esq.
Howthorpe, N. R. (5) a small
hamlet in the township of Airyholme,
parish of Hovingham, wapentake of
Rydale, 7 miles W. from Malton.
Hoyland, High, W. R. (8) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake of
Staincross, 6 miles N. from Penistone;
inhabitants, 268 ; a rectory, in two
medieties, value 5/. os. Ad. each, but
now united; patron, T. W. Beaumont,
Esq. The parish contains the town-
ship of West Clayton. Entire popula-
Hoyland Swaine, W. R. (8) a
township in the parish of Silkstone,
wapentake of Staincross, 2 miles N. E.
from Penistone; inhabitants, 738.
Hoyland, Upper, W. R. (8) a
township in the parish of Wath upon
Dearn, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 6 miles S. from Barnsley ; in-
habitants, 1229 ; a ehapelry to Wath.
Hoyland, Nether, W.R. (8) a
hamlet in the preceding township.
Huby, N.R. (5) a township in the
parish of Sutton on the Forest, wapen-
take of Bulmer, 4 miles S.E. from
Easingwold; inhabitants, 497.
Hubberholme, W. R. (4) a ham-
let in the township of Buckden, parish
of Arnecliffe, wapentake of Staincliffe,
5§ miles N. from Kettlewell; a ehapelry
to Arnecliffe. This chapel is situated in
a sequestered spot, on the north bank
of the river Wharfe, and is of great
Huddersfield, W. R. (7) a parish,
township, and market town, in the wa-
pentake of Agbrigg, 8 miles S. E. from
Halifax, 39 S. W. from York, 189 from
London ; inhabitants, 13,284 ; a vicar-
age, value 17/. 135. Ad.\ patron, Sir
John Ramsden, Bart.; market, Tues-
day; fairs, May 14 and 15, October 4.
This town stands on the small river
Colne, and though situated on a barren
soil, is highly rich and populous, from
the advantages afforded by its coal and
waterfalls to the woollen manufacture,
of which it is one of the great marts.
Here is a spacious cloth hall, erected
by Sir John Ramsden, in 1765, in
which, on market days, an incredible
deal of business is transacted. Hud-
dersfield affords small matter of anti-
quarian research; the church of St.
Peter is an ancient plain building, but
Trinity church, erected at Green Head,
at the sole expense of B. Haigh Allen,
Esq., in 1817, is an elegant structure
in the Gothic style. With the exception
of two or three houses, Sir John Rams-
den, Bart, is the sole proprietor of the
town of Huddersfield, which affords him
a princely income; the Ramsden canal,
is a cut about three miles long from the
Huddersfield canal, to the river Calder,
and thus affords to the town a facility of
inland navigation, both with the eastern
and western parts of the kingdom.
In the township, are Birkby, the seat
of J. Holroyd, Esq.; Fartown, the seat
of B. Shires, Esq.; Greenhead, the seat
ofB. Haigh Allen, Esq.; Spring Wood,
the seat of Joseph Haigh, Esq.; and
Wood House, the seat of John Whit-
acre, Esq. The parish is extensive^
and contains the townships of Golcar,
Lindley, Longwood, Marsden, Scarn-
monden with Dean Head, and Slaith-
waite. Entire population, 24,220.
Huddersfield Canal, W. R. (7)
begins at Huddersfield, and taking a
south-westerly course, enters a tunnel
near Marsden, of three miles and a half
in length, under Pule Hill; it emerges
near Dobcross, and leaves the county