New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 127
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

of York near Lid gate, soon after it
joins the Ashton and Oldham Canal at
a small distance from Manchester ; it
is to be regretted that this noble under-
taking, producing so many advantages
to the barren district through which it
passes, has been hitherto so unpro-
ductive to the proprietors.

Huddleston, W. R. (5) a town-
ship with Lumby, in the parish of
Sherburn, wapentake of Barkston Ash,
6 miles S. from Tadcaster; inhabi-
tants, 184, Huddleston Hall, formerly
the seat of Sir Edward Hungate, is
now a farm house. In this village is a
quarry of excellent freestone.

Hudswell, N. R. (I) a township
in the parish of Catterick, wapentake
of Hang West, 2 miles S. W. from
Richmond ; inhabitants, 305 ; a cha-
pelry to Catterick.

Huggate, E. R. (6) a parish and
township in the division of Wilton
Beacon, 9 miles N. from Market Weigh-
ton ; inhabitants, 413 ; a rectory, value
15/.; patron, the King. Races are
held here in the latter end of July.

Hugh Green, W. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township of Birstwith, pa-
rish of Hampsthwaite, wapentake of
Claro, 3^miles S.W. from Ripley.

Hull, Kingston upon, E.R. (9)
a borough and market town, in the
wapentake of Hullshire,
8 miles W.
from Hedon, 38 E. S.E. from York,
174 from London; inhabitants, 28,624.
This town contains two parishes; St.
Mary, a perpetual curacy; patron,
Samuel Thornton, Esq.: and the Holy
Trinity, a vicarage; patron, the Cor-
poration. Market, Tuesday and Friday;
fair, October 10. Hull has sent two
members to parliament from its first
incorporation, in 1299; who are re-
turned by the free burgesses, somewhat
exceeding in number 2000. The town
is governed by a mayor, recorder, and
twelve aldermen, with several minor
officers. Here is a grammar school,
founded in 1486, by bishop Alcock:
amongst the masters who have dis-
tinguished themselves, are John Clarke,
known by his literal translations of se-
veral of the Classics, formerly consider-
ed as the refuge of idle school boys,
but which seem to he the basis of the
modern Hamiltonian system of instruc-
tion; and Joseph Milner, author of a
partial and prejudiced “ History of the
Church of Christ.” The charities of
Hull are numerous, and well conducted;
the Trinity House, for the relief of de-
cayed seamen and their widows, was
first instituted in 1369, and it is also the
Court-house of the incorporation of the
Trinity company, who possess a sort of
admiralty jurisdiction; the building is
spacious, and containing many curiosi-
ties, is much visited by strangers : the
Maison Dieu, founded by Michael de la
Pole, Duke of Suffolk,in 1314: Lister’s,
Gregg’s,Crowle’s,Watson’s, Gee’s, and
Harrison’s hospitals, are endowments
for the relief of poor and aged persons:
there are also various other benevolent
institutions, and particularly the General
Infirmary, which affords relief to the
sick, on a very extensive scale. Hull can
boast of its docks, at the time of their
construction, the largest in the king-
dom ; its botanic garden, its exchange,
its theatre, its custom-house, and other
public buildings, and a very fine eques-
trian statue of William III., by Schee-
maker, erected in 1734. The streets, in
the older part of the town, are narrow
and disagreeable; but several of the
more modern, are airy and spacious,
though taste is not conspicuous in the
general style of architecture. The
church of the Holy Trinity is the largest
parochial church, not collegiate, in the
kingdom; it was begun in the reign of
Edward I., and is a stately structure,
consisting of a nave, chancel, and tran-
sept, from which rises a handsome
square tower; this church is partly of
brick, and is the most ancient speci-
men of any edifice built with that ma-
terial in England, since the departure of
the Romans : this venerable fabric has
not been preserved with sufficient atten-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.