and its materials divided so scrupu-
lously, that the stones, it is Jsaid, were
shared one by one; a compromise, how-
ever, seems to have taken place before
their demolishing hands approached
the present remains. From the num-
ber of ancient coins and reliques dis-
covered here, and from other circum-
stances, it is evident that Malton was a
Roman station, but to pretend that it
was the Camalodunum of Ptolemy, is
absurd, as that municipal town is satis-
factorily ascertained to have been Mal-
den, in Essex. New Malton is a very
flourishing place; the river having been
made navigable in the reign of Queen
Anne, vast quantities of corn and provi-
sions are shipped for Hull and other mar-
kets : the town is about half a mile in
length, and possesses a handsome suite
of public rooms, with a theatre; St.
Leonards church has a tall spire, which
is left] unfinished, and presents the un-
sightly appearance of a truncated cone:
the town stands on an eminence, over-
looking the river, which runs through
a beautiful and fertile vale. The manor
is the property of Earl Fitzwilliam.
Malton, Old, N. R. (5) a parish
and township in the wapentake of Ry-
dale, 1 mile N. from New Malton ; in-
habitants, 1064 ; a perpetual curacy;
patron, Earl Fitzwilliam ; this appears
to have been the mother church to St.
Leonard and St. Michael, at New Mal-
ton : the church is a very ancient struc-
ture, and adjoins some remains of a
priory, founded in the 12th century by
Eustace Fitz-John, for canons of the
order of St. Gilbert. In 1546 Arch-
bishop Holgate endowed here a free
Manfield, N. R. (2) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Gilling
East, 10 miles N. from Catterick ; in-
habitants, 440 ; a vicarage, value 6l.
If. 3d.; patron, the King. This small
village is supposed to have been once
a place of some importance, from vari-
ous foundations of buildings and scat-
tered tumuli, but nothing satisfactory
has been obtained respecting their ori-
gin. The parish contains the township
of Cliffe. Entire population, 493.
Maningiiam, W. R. (4) a town-
ship in the parish of Bradford, wapen-
take of Morley, If mile N. from Brad-
ford ; inhabitants, 2471. In this town-
ship are the Clock House, the seat of
Miss Jowitt; Maningham House, the
seat of L. E. Cunliffe, Esq.; and Whit-
ley House, the seat of J. Hollings, Esq.
Maniwell Heights, W. R. (4) a
hamlet in the township of Wilsden, pa-
rish of Bradford, wapentake of Morley,
4 miles S. from Keighley.
Mankinholes, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Langfield, parish of
Halifax, wapentake of Morley, 11 miles
W. from Halifax.
Mappleton, E. R. (6) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Holder-
ness, 3 miles S. from Hornsea; in-
habitants, 187 ; a vicarage, value 4l.
13s. 4d.; patron, the Archdeacon of
the East Riding. It contains the town-
ships of Cowdons, Great Hatfield, and
Rowlstone. Entire population, 460.
Mapplewell, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Darton,
wapentake of Staincross, 3 miles N.
Marderley, N. R. (2) a small
hamlet in the township and parish of
Feliskirk, wapentake of Birdforth, 3
miles N. E. from Thirsk.
Marfleet, E. R. (6) a township
and parish in the wapentake of Holder-
ness, 5 miles E. from Hull; inhabi-
tants, 127 ; a perpetual curacy; pa-
tron, the Rev. Thomas Watson. This
is a small village, near the north bank
of the Humber ; the church is a small
modern brick building.
Markington, W. R, (5) a town-
ship with Wallerthwaite, in the parish
of Ripon, wapentake of Claro, 4 miles
S. from Ripon, inhabitants, 457. In
this township is Markenfield Hall, once
the seat of a family of the same name,