New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 240
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

called Moses’s Principia, in opposition
to Sir Isaac Newton’s doctrine of uni-
versal gravitation, in which he endea-
vours to revive the old exploded maxim,
that nature abhors a vacuum; he found
followers, as what absurdity will not
attract kindred spirits ? but it is a little
remarkable, that towards the end of
the last century, a knot of divines of
the established church, respectable for
their character, learning, piety, and
station, should have endeavoured to
establish some of his peculiar opinions;
this school, of which the late bishop
Horne, Mr. Rom alne, and Mr. Jones
of Nayland, may be considered as the
leaders, has however quietly expired,
and a zealous Hutchinsonian, like an
extinct species in natural philosophy,
can"now no longer be found, except in
the cabinets of the curious. The parish
Of Spennythorne, contains the town-
ships of Bellerby and Harnby. Entire
population, 850.

Spink Well, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Dews-
bury, wapentake of Agbrigg, half
a mile
N. from Dewsbury.

Spinksburn, W.R. (5). a hamlet
in the township and parish of Fewstone,
wapentake of Claro, 9 miles W. from

Spital, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Wath upon
Dearn, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 5 miles N. W. from Ro-

Spital,E.R. (5) a small hamlet in
the township and parish of Fangfoss,
division of Wilton Beacon, 3 miles
N. W. from Pocklington. *

Spital Bridge Inn, N. R. (5).
See Barton le Willows.

Spital Croft, W. R. (4) a small
hamlet in the township of Litton,
parish of Arnecliffe, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 6 miles N.W, from Ket-

Spital Hill, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Tickhill,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill,
1 mile E. from Tickhill. This place
has its name from a hospital founded
here in 1326, which contained several
priests; it was afterwards annexed to
the priory of Humberstone in Lincoln-
shire ; not a vestige of it remains.

Spital House, E. R. (6) a ham-
let in the township of Saxton, parish
of Willerby, wapentake of Dickering,
5 miles N. W. from Hunmanby. This
place formerly belonged to the priory
of Bridlington.

Spital House, Old and New,
N.R. (1). See Bowes.

Spofforth, W.R. (5) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Claro, 3
miles N. W. from Wetherby ; inhabi-
tants, 895: a rectory, value 73/.6s.8</.;
patron, the Earl of Egremont. This
village is remarkable for having been
for several ages the principal seat of
the Percies, in the reign of Edward III.
The remains of the castle, now the pro-
perty of the Earl of Egremont, extend-
ing 45 yards in length and 17 in width,
evince its original grandeur, particularly
the great hall, which appears to be of
the age of Edward III., when the an-
cient Norman fortress, originally con-
structed for defence alone, began to
assume the conveniences of the palace,
designed as a place of residence : after
the battle of Towton, 1461, in which its
owner, the Earl of Northumberland,
and his brother Sir Richard Percy were
slain; this castle was dismantled, but
it appears to have been again made
tenable, and so to have continued till
the general demolition of most of the
inland fortresses in the era of the par-
liamentary war. In this village, was
born Lawrence Eusden, poet-laureat to
George I., who if he did not possess
any very large portion of the
, had at least the faculty of
writing smooth verses ; he was attacked
by Pope with his usual petulance, and
frequent injustice; he died in 1730.
The parish of Spofforth contains the


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.