York. Westow Hall is the seat of Sir
Tatton Sykes, Bart. The parish con-
tains the townships of Eddlethorpe
Firby and Mennythorpe. Entire po-
West Scholes, W. R. (4) a ham-
let in the township of Clayton, parish
of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, 3§
miles W. from Bradford.
West Syke Green, W.R. (5) a
hamlet in the township of Felliscliffe,
parish of Hampsthwaite, wapentake of
Claro, 4 miles S. W. from Ripley. Here
is a small free-school, founded in 1711,
by the will of John Richmond, for
the education of boys in Latin and
West Thorpe, W.R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Hoyland Swaine,
parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 1 mile N. from Penistone.
Westwick, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Ripon, wapentake of
Claro, 3 miles W. from Borough-
bridge ; inhabitants, 27.
West Wood, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Golcar, parish of
Huddersfield, wapentake of Agbrigg, 4
miles S. W. from Huddersfield.
Wetherby, W. R. (5) a township
and market town in the parish of Spof-
fortli, wapentake of Claro, 7 miles
N.W. from Tadcaster, 15 W. S. W.
from York, 194 from London; inha-
bitants, 1217; a ehapelry to Spoffortb;
market, Thursday; fairs, Holy Thurs-
day, and August 5. Here are held once
a year, at Christmas, the general quar-
ter sessions for the county. Wetherby
is a small well-built town, pleasantly
situated on the north bank of the river
Wharfe, over which it has a handsome
stone bridge, above which the river
forms a beautiful cascade, by falling
over a high dam, erected for the pur-
pose of enabling several mills to grind
corn, press oil, and rasp logwood for
the use of the dyers. In the civil wars,
this town had a small garrison, com-
manded by Sir Thomas Fairfax, who in
1642, repulsed Sir Thomas Glenham in
two different attacks : before the erec-
tion of the bridge, the Roman great
north road crossed the Wharfe at St.
Helens ford, a little below Wetherby.
The surrounding country is very rich
and beautiful, but presents no pecu-
liarly striking scenery; in the town-
ship is Swinnow Park, a seat of R.
Fountayne Wilson, Esq.
Wetherby Grange, W.R. (5).
See Micklethwaite Grange, the seat of
Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq.; the house
is in an unfinished state, occupied by a
farmer, to look after the deer in the
park. In the grounds is a heronry.
Wethercote, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the township of Skiplam, parish of
Kirkdale, wapentake of Rydale, 4
miles N.W. from Kirkby Moorside.
Wetwang, E. R. (6) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Buck-
rose, 6 miles W. from Great Driffield;
inhabitants, 422; a vicarage, value
9/. 7s. &%d.; patron, the Prebendary of
Wetwang in York Cathedral. The pa-
rish contains the township of Fimber.
Entire population, 526.
Whaitber, W.R. (4) a hamlet in the
township of Burton, parish of Thorn-
ton in Lonsdale, wapentake of Ewcross,
3 miles W. from Ingleton.
Wharfe, W.R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Austwick, parish of
Clapham, wapentake of Ewcross, 5
miles N. W. from Settle.
Wharfe, W.R. (4,5) a river
which rises at Greenfield, five miles
north qf Pennigent Hill; proceeding
eastward, through Langstroth Dale, it
then takes a bend to the south, and
waters Buckden, Starbotton, and Ket-
tlewell; whence continuing its course
to Burnsall, Bolton Abbey, Ilkley, and
Otley, through the picturesque and
beautiful district of Wharfedale, it visits
Harewood, Thorpe Arch, and Tadcas-
ter, and falls into the Ouse near Ca-
wood: in the earlier part of its course,
it is a lively and impetuous stream,