Anstruther Easter, pari, and royal burgh and par.,
Fife—par. and royal burgh, 25 ac., pop. 1248; pari,
burgh, pop. 1349; the burgh is one of the St
Andrews Burghs, which return 1 member to Parlia¬
Anstruther Wester, pari, and royal burgh and
par., Fife—par., 911 ac., pop. 673; pari, and royal
burgh, pop. 594; the burgh is one of the St Andrews
Ant, stream, N. Norfolk, flowing 12 miles SE. past
North Walsham to the river Bure below Horning.
Antermony, hamlet, seat, and small lake, Campsie
par., S. Stirlingshire, 2 miles SE. of Lennoxtown. A.
House was the birthplace of John Bell (1691-1780), the
Scotch traveller in Asia.
Anthorn, township, Bowness par., E. Cumberland,
on Anthorn lake, 8 miles NW. of Wigton, pop. 181.
Antingham, par., N. Norfolk, at source of river Ant,
3 miles NW. of North Walsham, 1509 ac., pop. 258.
Anton, river, N. Hants, flowing 7 miles SE. to the
Test near Wherwell, and thence 17 miles S. to South¬
Antoninus Wall, or Grahams Dyke, a military
barrier, constructed (about 140 a.d.) by the Romans,
under Lollius Urbicus, in the reign of Antoninus Pius,
to protect southern Britain from the inroads of the
Caledonians. Stretching from the Firth of Clyde on
the W. to the Firth of Forth on the E., a distance of
36½ miles, it consisted of a ditch or fosse 20 ft. deep
and 40 ft. wide, while on its S. side was a mound or
rampart about 20 ft. in height and 24 ft. in thickness at
the base (with forts and watch-towers), behind which
was the military road. Few vestiges of the work are
Antons Hill, seat, Berwickshire, 4 miles NW. of
Antony, par. and seat, E. Cornwall, on Lynher Creek,
4 miles S. of Saltash, 3288 ac., pop. 3201; P.O.
Antrim.—a maritime co. in extreme NE. of Ireland,
prov. Ulster; bounded N. by the Atlantic, E. by the
N. Channel, SE. and S. by Belfast Lough and co. Down,
and W. by Lough Neagh and the r. Bann, which separate
it from cos. Tyrone and Londonderry. Greatest length,
N. and S., 56 m.; greatest breadth, E. and W., 30 m. ;
coast-line, 90 m. Area, 762,080 ac. (709,832 ac. of land
and 52,248 of water). (For agricultural statistics, see
Appendix.) Pop. 421,943, of whom about 190,746 were
Presbyterians, 108,344 Roman Catholics, 98,161 Protest¬
ant Episcopalians, and 11,842 Methodists. Off the N.
coast are Rathlin island and the Skerries; off the E.
are the Maiden rocks with 2 lighthouses. The chief
headlands are Bengore Head, Fair Head, Garron
Point, and Ballygalley Head. The surface consists
chiefly of a tableland of basaltic trap, broken by
numerous valleys, and presenting on the N. coast
the most wonderful columnar formations (see the
Giants Causeway) ; chief summit, Trostan, 1817 ft.
The fisheries on the coast are important. Fine salt is
obtained in the district of Carriekfergus. The cultiva¬
tion of flax and the mfrs. of linen, cotton, and coarse
woollens give employment to most of the people. The
co. comprises 15 bars., 71 pars., the greater part of the
pari, and mun. bor. of Belfast (4 members), and the
towns of Antrim, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Carrick-
fergus, Larne, and Lisburn (part of). For parliamentary
purposes it is divided into 4 divisions—viz., North,
Mid, East, and South—1 member for each division;
the representation of the co. was increased from 2 to 4
members in 1885.—2. Antrim, par., S. co. Antrim, 8439
ac., pop. 3683. The town of A., in the above par., is
situated on the Six-Mile-Water, about 1 mile above its
influx to Lough Neagh, 21f miles from Belfast, and 126
miles from.Dublin by rail; pop. 1647; P.O., T.O., 2
Banks. Market-days, Tuesday and Thursday. Linen,
hosiery, and paper mfrs., with some malting and distill¬
ing, are carried on. Near the town is Antrim Castle
(1662), the seat of Viscount Masserene and Ferrard.
Antrim, Lower and Upper, 2 bars., mid. co. Antrim
—80,826 ac., pop. 22,790; and 36,489 ac., pop. 11,880.
Antrobus, township, Great Budworth par., mid.
Cheshire, 4½ miles NW. of Northwich, 2114 ac., pop. 430.
Anvil Point, cliff, SE. Dorsetshire, 10 miles S. of
Poole ; has lighthouse with flashing light visible 18 m.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)