Ardfert, par. and vil. with ry. sta., co. Kerry, 6 miles
NNW. of Tralee and 207 miles from Dublin by rail—
pftr., 10,132 ac., pop. 3049; vil., pop. 211; P.O., T.o.
The vil., which was formerly a royal borough and the
co. town of Kerry, has a cathedral, and is the place of
the cognominal diocese Ardfert and Aghadoe. The
seat of Ardfert Abbey, in the vicinity, includes ruins
of a Franciscan monastery, founded 1253.
Ardfield, par., S. co. Cork, 4 miles S. by E. of Clona-
Mlty, 2645 ac., pop. 1122.
Ardfin, seat, Lorn dist., Argyllshire, near head of
Loch Craignish, 18 miles NE. of Lochgilphead.
Ardfinnan, par., vil., and seat, S. co. Tipperary, 5
miles from Caher ry. sta.—par., 1812 ac., pop. 385; vil.,
pop. 376 ; P.O. Here St Finnan is said to have founded
Ardfry, peninsula, and seat of Lord Wallscourt, co.
Galway, 3 miles S. of Oranmore, on Galway Bay.
Ardgarten, small peninsula, Argyllsh., between Glen-
croe and L. Long. Ardgarten Ho. is 2 m. from Arrochar.
Ardgay, vil., Kincardine par., NE. Ross-shire, on
Dornoch Firth, and 13 miles NW. of Tain; P.O., T.o.
Ardglass, par., town, and seat, SE. co. Down, 6 miles
SE. of Downpatrick ry. sta. and 140 miles from Dublin—
par., 2022 ac., pop. 1154; town, pop. 691; P.O., T.O., 1
Bank. Situated on Ardglass Bay, the town was once
the chief port of Ulster, but is now only known as a
large sta. of the N. herring fishery, and also as a bathing
resort. There is a lighthouse on the pier.
Ardgour, dist., seat, and hamlet, N. Argyllsh., 10 m.
SW. of Fort-William, across Loch Linnhe; the dist. is
13 m. long and from 8 m. to 11 m. broad; P.O., T.o.
Ardgowan Honse, seat, NW. Renfrewshire, near
Inverkip, 5 miles SW. of Greenock.
Ardgowell, ruins of ancient castle, on W. border of
bar. Tiranny, co. Armagh.
Ardgroom, harb. and vil., at the boundary between
cos. Cork and Kerry, on S. side of Kenmare estuary.
Ardincaple Castle, seat, Dumbartonshire, near vil. of
Row, on Gareloch; formerly a seat of the Argyll family,
but now a seat of the Colquhouns of Luss.
Ardindrean, place with public school, at south end
of Loch Broom, Ross-shire.
Ardlngly, par., E. Sussex, 3 miles NE. of Cuckfield,
3842 ac. (13 water), pop. 1564 ; P.O., T.O.
Ardington, par., Berks, 2 miles E. of Wantage, 1820
ac. (12 water), pop. 383. Ardington Honse was the
residence of Clarke, the antiquary (1760-1832); and
Robert Vernon, who collected the Vernon Gallery of
pictures, which he left to the nation, died there in 1849.
Ardinning, lake (60 ac.), Strathblane par., Stirlingsh.
Ardkeen, par. and vil., co. Down, 4 miles N. of
Portaferry, 4809 ac., pop. 1329 ; P.O.
Ardkenneth, place with R.C. chapel, S. Uist par.,
Ardkill, par., bar. Carbury, N. co. Kildare, 5848 ac.,
pop. 496; post-town, Edenderry.
Ardkinglass Castle, seat, Argyllshire, at head of
Loch Fyne, 6 miles NE. of Inveraray.
Ardlamont Point, headland, Argyllshire, between
Kyles of Bute and Loch Fyne. Here is Ardlamont Ho.
Ardle, river, in NE. Perthshire, flowing 13 miles SE.
to the Shee, with which it unites to form the Ericht.
Ardleen. See Arddleen.
Ardleigh, par. with ry. sta., Tendring reg. dist.,
NE. Essex, 4J miles NE. of Colchester, 5062 ac., pop.
1594; P.O., T.o.
Ardler.—sta. on Caledonian Ry., SW. border of For-
farshire, 2| miles NE. of Coupar-Angus.—2. Ardler,
place with school, Strathdon dist., Aberdeenshire.
Ardley, par., near centre of Oxfordshire, 4J miles
NW. of Bicester, 1493 ac., pop. 161; P.O.
Ardlougher, co. Cavan, 4 m. S. of Ballyconnel; p.o.
Ardlni, landing-place with hotel, at N. end of Loch
Lomond, Dumbartonshire, 7 miles N. of Tarbet.
Ardlnssa Lodge, seat, Jura island, Argyllshire.
Ardmaddy Castle, a seat of Earl of Breadalbane,
Kilbrandon par., Argyllshire, 12 miles SW. of Oban.
Ardmair, ham., W. Ross-sh., 3 m. NW. of Ullapool.
Ardmarnock, seat, Kilfinan par., Argyllshire, 4J
miles NE. of Tarbert, on E. side of Loch Fyne.
Ardmayle, par., mid. co. Tipperary, 3J miles N. by
W. of Cashel, on river Suir, 4940 ac., pop. 765.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)