Bear Island (6J miles by 1J mile), SW. co. Cork, on
N. side of Bantry Bay, 4 miles S. of Castletown Bear-
haven, 4368 ac., pop. 1075; P.O.; the island is hilly,
bare, and abounding in slate. It was fortified in 1796,
after the French landed in the bay.
Bearl, township, Bywell St Andrew par., S. North-
umberland, 5 miles E. of Corbridge, 419 ac., pop. 51.
Bearley, par. with ry. sta., S. Warwickshire, 4 miles
NW. of Stratford, 810 ac., pop. 215.
Bearn Bock, or Bearn Back, rugged island, near
Weston-super-Mare, E. Somerset.
Bear Park Colliery,inco. and3m. from Durham; P.O.
Bearsdcn, vil. with ry. sta., SE. Dumbartonshire,
5 miles NW. of Glasgow, pop. 764; P.O., t.o.
Bearstcd, par., mid. Kent, 2 miles SE. of Maid-
stone, 610 ac., pop. 601; P.O.
Bearstone, township, Mucklestone par., N. Shrop-
shire, 6 miles NE. of Market Drayton.
Bears wood Green, hamlet, Halfield par., S. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles SW. of Thorne.
Bearwardcote, township, Etwall par., in S. of co.
and 6 miles SW. of Derby, 457 ac., pop. 35.
Bearwood, eccl. dist. and seat, Hurst and Woking-
ham par., SE. Berks, 2 m. S. of Wokingham, pop. 883.
Beath, par., 5 miles ENE. of Dunfermline, SW.
Fifeshire, 6345 ac., pop. 5442.
Beathwaite Green, hamlet, Heversham par., S.
Westmorland, 3 miles N. of Milnthorpe.
Beats, Great and Little, pars., Lincolnshire, in Bos-
ton dist., pop. 8 and 12.
Beattoek, sta. on Caledonian Ry., 2 m. SW. of Moffat,
N. Dumfriesshire, for which it is the junction; P.O., T.O.
Beauchamp Hatch. See Hatch Beauchamp.
Beauchamp Boothing, par., Essex, 4J miles NE. of
Ongar ry. sta., 1262 ac., pop. 231.
Beauchief Ahhey, par. and seat with ry. sta., E.
Derbyshire, 3 miles SAV. of Sheffield, 748 ac., pop. 96;
the church (1660) has a tower belonging to an abbey
founded in 1183.
Beaudesert, par., S. Warwickshire, near Henley,
4 miles SW. of Hatton, 1285 ac., pop. 167; birthplace
of Richard Jago (1715-81), the poet.
Beaudesert Park, seat with extensive park, in
Cannock Chase, S. Staffordshire, 3 miles NW. of Lich-
field. Castle Hill Camp, within the grounds, com-
mands an extensive view.
Beaufort, eccl. dist. and vil. with ry. sta., Aber-
ystruth par. (W. Monmouthshire) and Llangattock and
Llangunider pars. (Brecknockshire), 2 m. NE. of Trede-
gar, pop. 5445 ; P.O., T.o ; has extensive iron-works.
Beaufort, 6 miles NW. of Killarney, mid. co.
Beaufort Castle, seat of Lord Lovat, on river Beauly,
N. Inverness-shire, 4 miles SW. of Beauly.
Beaufront Castle, 2 m. NE. of Hexham, Northumb.
Beaulieu, or Bewley, par. and liberty, S. Hants, at
head of a creek, 6 m. NE. of Lymington, 8633 ac., pop.
928 ; P.O., T.O.; has sack-making and shipbuilding.
Beaulieu, par., SE. co. Louth, on river Boyne, 2
miles NE. of Drogheda, 1011 ac., pop. 352.
Beauly.—river, N. Inverness-shire, flowing 10 miles
NE. to Loch Beauly.—2. Beauly, vil. with ry. sta.,
Kilmorack par., N. Inverness-shire, on above river, 10
miles AY. of Inverness by rail, pop. 915 ; P.O., T.O., 2
Banks. Near it are remains of priory founded in 1230.
Beaumanor, liberty and seat, Barrow-on-Soar par.,
N. Leicestershire, 3 miles W. of Mount Sorrel.
Beaumaris, mun. bor. and par., seaport town, and
watering-place, Anglesey, on the Menai Strait, near its
junction with the Irish Sea, 7 miles NE. of Bangor and
238 miles NW. of London—par., 1220 ac., pop. 1907;
bor., 3159 ac., pop. 2239; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. There
are ruins of a castle built by Edward I., and garrisoned
(1643-1646) for Charles I. The harbour is very com-
modious. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
Beaumaris united with Amlwch, Holyhead, and Llan-
gefni in sending 1 member to Parliament till 1885.
Beaumaris Bay, bay, at NE. of Menai Strait, mea-
sures 12 miles NE. from Bangor to Great Ormes Head,
and 6-Jr miles across the entrance.
Beaumont.—par., E. Cumberland, 4 miles NW. of
Carlisle, 1628 ac., pop. 236.—2. Beaumont, vil. with
ry. sta., St Peter par., Jersey island, 2 miles NE. of St
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)