-ceaster. Numerous Roman antiquities have been found,
and remains of the amphitheatre and the ancient walls
are still to be seen. Cirencester has relics of an abbey
founded in 1117. Its church (St John) is a fine old struc-
ture of the 15th century. C. has some mfrs. of woollens,
carpets, and cutlery, but its industries are chiefly agri-
cultural. The live stock market is one of the best in the
W. of England. About 14 mile W. of town, adjacent
to Oakley Park, is the Royal Agricultural College
(1846). C. returned 1 member to Pari, until 1885.
Cir Vohr, mountain range and peak, NE. Arran
island, 5 miles NW. of Brodick; alt. of peak, 2618 ft.
Cissbnry, ancient camp, AY. Sussex, on the Downs, 4
miles NW. of Worthing ; covers 60 ac.
Citadilla, hamlet, Easby par., North-Riding York-
shire, 2 miles E. of Richmond.
Civillown, vil., Tullylishpar., mid. AY. co. Down.
Clabby, hamlet, 11 miles NE. of Enniskillen, E. co.
Clachaig, place with inn, in par. and 54 miles NW.
of Dunoon, SE. Argyllshire; P.O.
Clachan.—vil., NW. coast of Kintyre, Argyllshire,
74 miles NE. of Tayinloan; P.O., T.o.—2. Clachan,
hamlet, at head of Loch Fyne, 8 miles NE. of Inverary,
Argyllshire.—3. ½laclian, loch, in co. and 8£ miles
S. of Inverness.—4. Clachan, or Claucban, hamlet
with inn, Arran island, Buteshire, 2 miles NE. of Black-
water Foot; in the burying-ground are the remains of
St Molios, a disciple of St Columba.
Clachan Heughs, rocky headland, on W. side of
Loch Ryan, 1J m. N. of Kirkcolm, NW. Wigtownshire.
Clachan Inair, place with picturesque burying-
ground, at mouth of Glen Moriston, NW. Inverness-sh.
Clachan of Glcndarucl, hamlet, Kilmodan par.,
Clachan Sound, narrow strait, with inn on its E.
shore, separating the island of Sell from the mainland
of Lorne, Argyllshire.
Clachaneasy, hamlet, Penninghame par., E. Wig-
townshire, 8 miles N. of Newton-Stewart.
Clachantioinpan, ancient memorial stone, Fodderty j
Clachbhein, hill, Jura island, Argyllshire, 912 ft.
Clachnaharry, ry. sta. and NW. suburb of Inver-
ness, pop. 287; P.O.; the chief industry is fishing.
Clachnamben, 2 huge stones, one incumbent on the
other, Alness par., Ross, on a moor near Kildermory.
Clach-na-Ossian, large stone, near river Almond,
Crieff par., Perthshire; traditionally said to have
covered the remains of the bard.
Clachshant, or ClayshanI, ancient par., now in-
cluded in Stoneykirk par., Wigtownshire.
Clack, eccl. dist. (St Mary) and hamlet, Lyneham
par., N. Wilts, pop. 388. The hamlet is 5 miles SAY.
of AYootton Bassett.
Clackclose, hundred, W. Norfolk, 98,100 ac., pop.
20,550; contains 30 pars.
Clackett Cross, hamlet, Wrotham par., mid. Kent,
64 miles NE. of Sevenoaks.
Clackmannan, par. and co. town of Clackmannan-
shire, on river Devon, near its confluence with the
Forth, 4 mile SE. of its ry. sta. and 2 miles SE. of
Alloa—par., 9427 ac., pop. 4543; town, pop. 1503; P.O.,
T.O. In 1330 C. was the residence of King David Bruce.
Clackmannan Pow, harb., on N. side of the Forth,
at mouth of river Black Devon, 14 mile SE. of Alloa,
Clackmannanshire, the smallest co. of Scotland, ex-
tending 10 miles N. and S. between the main body of
Perthshire and the river Forth, and 11 miles E. and AY.
between the cos. of Stirling and Fife; area, 30,477 ac.;
pop. 25,680, or 539 persons to each sq. m. The sur-
face rises from the Forth by an easy ascent, broken by
gentle undulations and by the valley of the river Devon,
to the Ochil Hills, which extend along the N. border.
These hills afford excellent pasturage; the low grounds
are well cultivated. (For agricultural statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) Coal is raised in the Devon valley ; the towns
of Alloa and Tillicoultry have woollen mfrs. The co.
comprises 4 pars., parts of 2 other pars., and also the
police burghs of Alloa and Tillicoultry. Clackmannan-
shire unites with Kinross-shire in returning 1 member
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)