Cloontnskert, par. and vil., in co. and 7 miles NE.
of Roscommon, containing part of Lanesborough, 5980
ac., pop. 1303.
Cloonygormlcan, par., in co. and 6 miles NAV. of
Roscommon, 8543 ac., pop. 980.
Cloonyquln, seat, 10 miles NE. of Castlereagh, N.
Clopklll, par. and vil., Bedfordshire, on river Ivel,
34 miles E. of Ampthill, 2140 ac., pop. 1107 ; P.O.
Clopton. — hamlet, Mickleton par., E. Gloucester-
shire, 4 miles NE. of Chipping Campden, pop. 51.—■
2. Clopton, par., E. Suffolk, 4 miles NAY. of AVood-
bridge, 2074 ac., pop. 382 ; P.O.; contains C. Hall.
Clopton House, seat, 14 mile N. of Stratford-on-
Avon, S. AVarwickshire.
Cloran, hamlet, near Headford, N. co. Galway.
Clorane, seat, 2 m. SE. of Croom, mid. co. Limerick.
Close, West, hamlet, Coverham par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 54 miles SAY. of Middleham.
Close House, 2 miles from Shildon, S. Durham; P.O.
Closeburn, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in AY. of co.
and Ilf miles NAY. of Dumfries, 29,347 ac. (246
water), pop. 1505; P.O. ; near the vil. are Closeburn
Castle, an ancient seat of the Kirkpatricks, and
CloselioHsc.—hamlet and seat, Heddon on the AYall
par., S. Northumberland, 7 miles AAr. of Newcastle.—
2. Closebonse, hamlet, Giggleswick par., N. div.
AYest-Riding Yorkshire, 1 mile NAY. of Settle.
Closkelt, 8 m. from Castlewellan, S. co. Down; p. o.
Closvvortb, par., mid. Somerset, on r. Yeo, on border
of co., 34 miles S. of Yeovil ry. sta., 1071 ac., pop. 121.
Clotball, par., N. Herts, 2 miles SE. of Baldock,
3526 ac., pop. 308.
Clotberbolme, township, E. div. AYest-Riding York-
shire, in par. and 2 m. NAY. of Ripon, 339 ac., pop. 12.
Clotton Hooficld, township, Tarvin par., AY. Che-
shire, 2 miles NAY. of Tarporley, 1552 ac., pop. 342.
Cloud End, termination of the Biddulph Moor hill-
range, E. Cheshire, near Macclesfield.
Clougb.—rivnlet, N. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire;
flows through Garsdale to the Lune 24 miles SW. of
Sedbergh.—2. Clougb, hamlet, Almondbury par., S.
div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire, near Huddersfield.
Clougb . See also Clogh .
Clougb.—vil., 3 miles NE. of Glarryford ry. sta.,
N. co. Antrim, pop. 96; P.O. — 2. Clongb, vil., 6
miles SAY. of Downpatrick, mid. co. Down, pop. 236;
P.O., t.o.—3. Clougb, 5 miles from Rathdowney, AY.
Queens co.; P.O.
Clougb Fold, ry. sta., 54 miles SW. of Bacup, SE.
Lancashire; P.O., called Cloiigbfold.
Clough Head, school, near Huddersfield, West-
Oougheast, seat, SE. co. AVexford; post-town,
Clougbjordan, ry. sta., 9 miles NE. of Nenagh,
Tipperary; P.O., T.O. See Cloghjordan.
Clougb mills, N. co. Antrim; P.O. See Cloghmills.
Clongb ton, coast township and vil., Scalby par.,
North-Riding Yorkshire, 44 miles NW. of Scarborough,
2538 ac. and 84 foreshore, pop. 512; P.O. The vil. is
supposed to be on the site of an ancient British vil.
In vicinity is Cloughton Wyke, a romantic valley,
through which a small brook descends to the sea.
Cloun . See also Clon . and Cloon .
Clousta, hamlet with school, in N. of Sandsting par.,
Shetland, on Clousta Yoe.
Clova, quoad sacra par. and hamlet (Milton of Clova),
Cortachy and Clova par., N. Forfarshire, on river South
Esk, 15 miles NAV. of Kirriemuir, pop. 105. In the
vicinity is Clova Castle, a curious old ruin.
Clovelly, par. and vil., N. Devon, 11 miles SW. of
Bideford, 3502 ac., pop. 787; P.O., T.O. ; the vil.
is situated in a richly wooded recess of a picturesque
sea-cliff, and is much frequented by artists; it has a
pier and a small harbour, and the inhabitants are chiefly
employed in the herring and mackerel fisheries. About
4 m. AY. is Clovelly Court; 1 m. S. is Clovelly Dikes
(Ditchen Hills), an extensive circular British camp.
Cloven Stones, small circle of unhewn stones, two of
them split or cloven, E. coast I. of Man, 1 m. S. of Laxey;
the traditionary burial-place of a renowned Welsh prince.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)