Eske, township, Beverley par., East-Riding York-
shire, onr. Hull, 3m. NE. of Beverley, 1099 ac., pop. 30.
Eskelitli, hamlet, Arkengarth Dale par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, near Reeth.
Eskcr.—par., S. co. Dublin, 1 mile SE. of Lucan,
2501 ac., pop. 490.—2. Esker, agricultural school, co.
Galway; post-town, Banagher.
Eskercam, Eskcrevan, and Eskergarn, 3 hamlets,
Llanfynydd par., Carmarthenshire, 3 to 5 miles NW. of
Eskernant, hamlet, Talley par., Carmarthenshire,
7\ miles N. of Llandilofawr.
Eskin, headstream of river Findhorn, in S. of Moy
and Dalarossie par., Inverness-shire.
Eskirgilog, hamlet, Moughtre par., Montgomery-
shire, 3 miles SW. of Newtown.
Eskirieth, hamlet, Tref-Eglwys par., Montgomery-
shire, 4 miles N. of Llanidloes.
Eskirmacn, hamlet, Llandinam par., S. Mont-
gomeryshire, 5g miles NE. of Llanidloes.
Esklcy, stream, Herefordshire; joins the Munnow
Eskmeals, ry. sta., 2 miles SE. of Ravenglass, W.
Eskra, 5 miles from Fintona, co. Tyrone ; P.O.
Eskynald, hamlet, 8-g miles SE. of Aberystwith,
Eslemont, seat, Aberdeenshire. See Esslemont,
Eslie, place with ancient stone circle, 3 miles SE. of
Eslin Bridge, 4 miles from Mohill, co. Leitrim; P.O.
Eslin Water, Dunscore par., Dumfriesshire; runs
4 miles E. to Cairn Water.
Eslington, seat of Lord Ravensworth, on river Ain,
N. Northumberland, 7b miles N. of Rothbury.
Esperslilclds, township, Bywell St Peter par., S.
Northumberland, on river Derwent, 8 miles SE. of Cor-
bridge, 3735 ac. (48 water), pop. 120.
Esperston, place with limeworks, 4 miles S. of Gore-
Espley, vil., Mitford par., N. Northumberland, 2
miles NAY. of Morpeth.
Esprick, hamlet, in par. and 3 miles NAY. of Kirk-
ham, N. Lancashire.
Esragan, stream, Argyllshire; flows 4J miles S. to
Loch Etive at Inveresragan, 2 miles NAY. of Bonawe.
Ess, waterfall, on AY. border of Ballinacor bar., co.
AYicklow, 4J miles AY. of Glendalough.
Essachosan (Lovers Glen), romantic dell with small
cascade, 2 miles from Inveraray, Argyllshire.
Esseforsc, waterfall, on stream falling into Ulva
North Loch, Ulva island, Argyllshire; 90 ft. in leap.
Essendine, par. and ry. sta., on E. border of Rut-
land, 4 miles NE. of Stamford, 1526 ac., pop. 176.
Essendon, par., vil., and seat, S. Herts, on river Lea,
3 miles NE. of Hatfield, 2331 ac., pop. 594 ; P.O., T.O.;
gives the title of baron to the Marquis of Salisbury.
Esscnside, small loch, Ashkirk par., Roxburghshire.
Esset, stream, Aberdeenshire; flows 6J miles SE. to
the Don 1 mile below Bridge of Alford.
Essex, maritime co. in SE. of England; is bounded
N. by Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, E. by the North
Sea, S. by the river Thames, and W. by Middlesex and
Herts ; greatest length, N. and S., 44 miles; greatest
breadth, E. and W., 57miles; 987,032 ac.; pop. 576,434.
On the coast are several marshy islands, such as Can-
vey, Foulness, AVallasea, Mersea, &c. Essex is one of
the Metropolitan shires, or Six Home Counties,
and took its name from the East Saxons. It rests
upon the London clay, and is watered by the Stour,
Colne, Chelmer, Crouch, Thames, Boding, and Lea;
the surface, flat near the coast and the rivers, is un-
dulating and sometimes hilly towards the NAY.; the
soil is generally fertile. Wheat and barley of fine
quality are largely grown in the NAY. and the centre;
the marshes on the coast have for the most part been
drained and converted into fertile grazing lands. (For
agricultural statistics, see Appendix.) Essex had at one
time a great extent of forest, which has almost entirely
disappeared. Hainault Forest was disforested in 1851;
Epping Forest was preserved by the Act of 1871. The
co. has no mineral wealth, with the exception of chalk
for lime, septaria for Roman cement, and clay for
bricks. Its mfrs. are of no great extent—ironworks
for the local supply of agricultural implements; crape,
damasks and satins, &c. The Barking fishing smacks
carry on an active industry; and there are very pro-
ductive oyster beds in the estuaries of the Crouch,
the Blackwater, and the Colne. Essex comprises
19 hundreds, 1 liberty, and 413 pars., with parts of 3
others, the pari, andmun. bor. of Colchester (1 member),
the pari. bor. of AVest Ham (2 members), and the mun.
bors. of Harwich, Maldon, and Saffron AValden. It is
mostly in the diocese of St Albans. For parliamentary
purposes it is divided into 8 divisions, viz., South-
Western or AValthamstow, Southern or Romford,
AVestern or Epping, Northern or Saffron AValden,
North-Eastern or Harwich, Eastern or Maldon, Mid or
Chelmsford, and South-Eastern, 1 member for each
division. Prior to 1885 it returned 6 members.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)