Mapleborough, vil., Studley par., Warwickshire, 3
miles N. of Alcester.
Mapledurham.—seat, Buriton par., Hants, 2 miles
SW. of Petersfield; belonged to Gibbon, the historian.—
2. Mapledurham, par. and vil., Oxfordshire, on river
Thames, 3½ miles NW. of Reading, 3068 ac. (78 water),
pop. 422; Mapledurham House (1523), a Tudor edi-
fice, with a fine elm-tree avenue, was fortified for
Charles I. during the Civil War.
Mapledurwell, par., Hants, on Basingstoke Canal,
3 miles SE. of Basingstoke, 829 ac., pop. 214.
Maplescoiube, ancient par., now in Kingsdown near
Dartford par., Kent.
Maplestead, Great, par. and vil., Essex, 2½ miles
N. of Halstead, 1966 ac., pop. 394; P.O.
Maplestead, Little, par., Essex, 2 miles N. of Hal-
stead, 1067 ac., pop. 261; P.O.; the church (restored
1857) belonged to the preceptory of the Knights Hospi-
tallers, founded here in 1186.
Maplewcll Longdale, par., Leicestershire, 2 miles
S. of Loughborough, pop. 20.
Maplin Sands, shoal, off coast of Essex, extending
from Shoebury Ness NE. to beyond Foulness Point;
off E. part of sand is a fixed light (Maplin) 36 ft. above
high water and seen 10 miles.
Mapp . See also Map .
Mappercombe, vil., Poorstock par., Dorset, 3 miles
NE. of Bridport.
Mapperley.—township, Kirk Hallam par., Derby-
shire, on Nutbrook Canal, 7 m. NE. of Derby, 982 ac.,
pop. 432; P.O.—2. Mapperley, dist., in N. of bor. of
Nottingham, pop. 9165; P.O., and P.O. at Mapperley
Plain, where is the Midland Observatory, founded 1853.
Mapperton.— par., Dorset, 2| miles SE. of Bea-
minster, 804 ac., pop. 103; contains Mapperton House,
seat.—2. Mapperton, hamlet, Aimer par., Dorset, 5¼
miles S. of Blandford Forum.
Mapperton, North, hamlet, Beaminster par., Dorset.
Mappleborough Green, vil., 3 miles E. of Redditch,
Mappleton. — par. and vil., Derbyshire, on river
Dove, 1½ mile NAY. of Ashborne, 802 ac., pop. 196; P.O.
—2. Mappleton, par., township, and vil., East-Riding
Yorkshire—par., 3454 ac., pop. 395; township, 1187 ac.,
pop. 139; vil., on the coast, 3 m. SE. of Hornsea; P.O.
Mapplewell, vil., Darton par., S. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, 3 miles NAY. of Barnsley ; P.O.
Mappowder, par., Dorset, 6 miles NE. of Cerne
Abbas, 1887 ac., pop. 226.
Mar, ancient dist. of Aberdeenshire, between the Dee
and the Don, sub-divided into Braemar, Midmar, and
Cromar; it gives the title of Earl to the family of Erskine.
Mar Burn, stream, Durrisdeer par., Dumfriesshire;
flows E., traversing the grounds of Drumlanrig Castle,
to the Nith.
Mar Lodge, seat of the Earl of Fife, on right bank
of river Dee, Aberdeenshire, 3 miles SAY. of Castleton
of Braemar; Old Mar Lodge is on the other side of
the river; Mar Deer F'orest embraces 80,100 ac.
Maran, stream, Herts; rises near border of Bedford-
shire, and flows 11 miles SE. to the Lea at Hertford.
Marazion (or Market Jew), watering-place, market
town, seaport, and township, with ry. sta. (Marazion
Road, 1 mile W.), St Hilary par., Cornwall, on Mounts
Bay, 3 miles E. of Penzance, 719 ac. and 78 foreshore,
pop. 1294; P.O., T.O. Market-day, Saturday. Marazion
is an ancient corporate town, under the name of
Marghasiewe, with charter of date 1595. It was very
early a considerable place and a port of some trade,
both as being situated near the great mart for tin and
as the headquarters of pilgrims to St Michaels Mount,
with which it is connected at low water by a causeway;
but after its losses in the 16th century it gave way to
Penzance. It has still some trade in coal, timber, &c., in
connection with the neighbouring mines, prosecutes the
pilchard fishery, and attracts a number of summer visitors.
Marble HIU, seat, in par. and E. vicinity of Twick-
enham, Middlesex, on river Thames; the gardens were
laid out by Pope.
Marble Lodge, in Glen Tilt, Perthshire, 6 miles N.
Marblehtll.—seat, nr. Dunfanaghy, N. co. Donegal.—
2. MarhlchUl, seat, 8 m. S. of Loughrea, co. Galway.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)