Mosstodlocli, vil., Speymouth par., NE. Elginshire,
1J mile NW. of Fochabers.
Mosstowle, school, in co. and 34 miles SW. of Elgin.
Mosstown.—par., S. co. Louth, 2 miles SW. of
Dunleer, 3817 ac., pop. 612.—2. Mosstown, seat, 24
m. NW. of Streamstown ry. sta., SW. co. Westmeath.
Moss wood, hamlet, Belton by Gainsborough par.,
Lincolnshire, near Epworth.
Mossy Mill, paperworks, near Colinton, Edinburgh.
Mostcrton, par. and vil., Dorset, on river Axe, 3
miles NW. of Beaminster, 958 ae., pop. 321; P.O.
Moston.—township, Chester St Mary on the Hill
par., Cheshire, on Ellesmere Canal, 3 miles NW. of
Chester, 303 ac., pop. 19 ; contains Moston Hall, seat.
—2. Moston, township, Warmingham par., Cheshire,
on Trent and Mersey Canal, 24 miles NW. of Sandbach,
714 ac., pop. 180.—3. Moston, township and ry. sta.,
Manchester par., SE. Lancashire—township, 1297 ac.,
pop. 3466; the sta. is 44 miles NE. of Victoria sta.,
Manchester. — 4. Moston, vil., Stanton upon Hine
Heath par., Shropshire, 3 miles SE. of Wem.
Mostrim, par., E. co. Longford, 10,943 ac., pop.
2777; contains Edgeworthstown.
Mostyn, eccl. dist. and vil. with ry. sta., Wliitford
par., Flintshire—dist., pop. 2335 ; vil., on Dee estuary,
34 miles NW. of Holywell; P.O., T.O., at Mostyn
Quay, which has become of considerable importance in
connection with the collieries in the neighbourhood;
Mostyn Hall, seat of Lord Mostyn, dates partly from
the reign of Henry VI., and contains many Welsh
Motcombe, par. and vil., Dorset, 14 mile NW. of
Shaftesbury, 4841 ac., pop. 1411; P.O., T.o.; market
gardening is carried on ; Motcombe House is a seat of
the Duke of Westminster.
Mote, The.—seat of the Earl of Romney, near Maid-
stone, Kent; stands in a well-wooded park of 600 ac.—
2. Mote, The, seat, in par. and 2 miles S. of Ightham,
Kent; is an interesting moated grange of former times.
Mote Hill, eminence with 2 circular camps, Elsdon
Mote Park, seat of Lord Crofton, in co. and 3 miles
SE. of Roscommon.
Mote Stone (or Long Stone), block of ferruginous
sandstone, Mottistone, Isle of Wight.
Mothccombe, hamlet, Holbeton par., Devon, on
Erme estuary, 4 miles SAV. of Modbury; Mothccombe
House is an old seat.
Mothell.—par., N. co. Kilkenny, on river Dinin, 4
miles SE. of Castlecomer, 7091 ac., pop. 1186.—2.
Mothell, par., N. co. Waterford, on river Cladagh, 3
miles S. of Carrick-on-Suir, 20,740ac., pop. 2074.
Mother Bank, roadstead, between Spithead and
Cowes, Isle of Wight; is about 2 miles long.
Mother Larges Well and Kitchen, spring and
cavern, Alum Bay, Isle of AVight, near the Needles.
Motlierby, Cumberland. See Greystoke, Johnby, &c.
Motherwell, town (police burgh), Dalziel and Hamil-
ton pars., Lanarkshire, near South Calder Water, 24
miles NE. of Hamilton and 124 miles SE. of Glasgow
by rail, pop. 12,904; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; has extensive
iron and steel works. Many of the inhabitants are
employed in coal-mining. The pop. has increased very
rapidly, having been 726 in 1841, and 2925 in 1861.
Motherwell Bridge, ry. sta., Lanarkshire, 4 mile S.
of Motherwell and 2 miles NE. of Hamilton.
Mothvcy, Carmarthenshire. See Myddfai.
Motray Water, NE. Fife; flows about 12 miles E.
and S. to the estuary of the Eden at Guardbridge.
Mottenden, hamlet, Headcorn par., Kent, 11 miles
NW. of Ashford; here stood a Trinitarian priory of
1224, the first of its kind in England.
Mottingham, township and vil., Eltham par., Kent,
3 miles S. of AVoolwich, 642 ac., pop. 779; P.O.
Mottisfont, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Hants, 4
miles NW. of Romsey, 2754 ac., pop. 520; P.O.;
Mottisfont Abbey, seat, embodies portions of ancient
Mottistone, par. and vil., Isle of AViglit, 14 mile
NW. of Brixton, 1100 ac. and 66 foreshore, pop. 143;
Mottistone Manor House dates from the 16th cen-
tury ; Mottistone Down is 610 ft. high.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)