Bartholomew’s Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887) page 702 right column

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Scatrick, islet, Killinchy par., E. co. Down, in Lough

Scattcry Island, Kilrush par., S. co. Clare, in river
Shannon, 179 ac., pop. 141; has interesting church ruins.
On S. point of island is a fixed light (Scattery Island),
50 ft. above high water and seen 10 miles.

Scat-well, seat and school, Contin par., Ross and
Cromarty, on river Conon, 10 miles NW. of Muir of
Ord ry. sta.; Scatwell Deer Forest comprises 7960 ac.

Scavaig, Loch, sea inlet, on SW. coast of Skye
island, Inverness-shire.

Scawby, par. and vil. (ry. sta. Scawby and Hibald-
stow), Lincolnshire—par. (partly in town of Brigg),
3930 ac., pop. 1549 ; vil., 2 miles SW. of Brigg; P.O.;
in vicinity is Scawby Hall, seat. Remains of a Roman
camp, with other relics of antiquity, have been found

Scawfell. See Scafell.

Scawton, par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 4g miles W.
of Helmsley, 2876 ac., pop. 132.

Scethrog, hamlet, in co. and 5 miles SE. of Breck-
nock ; P.O.

Schaw Park, seat of the Earl of Mansfield, in par.
and 2g miles NE. of Alloa, Clackmannanshire.

Sc Is el, The, summit of the Cheviots, on E. border of
Morebattle par., Roxburghshire, alt. 1979 ft.

Schemes Islets, 2 islets, S. co. Cork, in Roaring-
water Bay, 3 miles NW. of Baltimore.

Schichallion, mountain, Dull and Fortingall pars.,
Perthshire, 11 miles NW. of Aberfeldy, alt. 3547 ft.

Scholar Green, 3 miles from Kidsgrove, Stafford-

Scholes,—vil. with ry. sta., Barwick in Elmet par.,
West-Riding Yorkshire, 5 miles NE. of Leeds ; P.O.—
2. Scholes, small town, Kirkburton par., S. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 5 miles S. of Huddersfield,
763 ac., pop. 1182; is a local government district.—3,
Scholes, vil., Birstal par., S. div. West-Riding York-
shire, lg mile NW. of Cleckheaton and 4g miles S. of
Bradford; p.o.

Scholing, Hants. See Sholing.

Schoo, The, stream (tributary of the Dove), Derby-
shire, passing through Ashborne.

School Aycliffe, township, Heightington par., Dur-
ham, 6g miles NW. of Darlington, 531 ac., pop. 23.

School Green, vil., in W. of Isle of Wight, 1 mile
SW. of Freshwater; P.O.

Schull (or Scnll),vil., co. Cork; P.O.,T.o. See Skull.

Scilly, fishing vil., Ringcurran par., S. co. Cork, form-
ing a suburb of Kinsale, pop. 605.

Scilly Bank, hill, Cumberland, near Whitehaven,
alt. 550 ft.

Scilly Islands, island-group at the entrance of the
English Channel, 25 miles SW. of Lands End, 3560
ac., pop. 2320; P.O., T.O., called Scilly. The islands
constitute a parish of Cornwall, and are in the Western
or St Ives Parliamentary Division of that county.
They are about 30 miles in circumference and number
140, but only six of them are of any importance,
viz., St Mary’s, Tresco, St Martins, St Agnes, Bryher,
and Samson. Hugh Town (St Mary’s) is the seat of
government, which is managed by 12 of the principal
inhabitants who constitute the Court of Twelve. The
inhabitants are engaged in raising and exporting early
vegetables for the London market, in the fisheries, and
in sea-faring pursuits. (For shipping statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) The islands rise steeply from the sea, and
have proved very dangerous to mariners. On St
Mary’s Island and on Bishop Rocks are lighthouses, with
revolving and fixed lights seen 17 and 16 miles. The
Scilly Islands are supposed to have been the Cassi-
terides of the Greeks, and the Sillinse of the Romans.
After the withdrawal of the Romans they were occupied
by a Celtic population, who have left stone circles,
kistvaens, cromlechs, and other remains. In the 10th
century they were annexed to Saxon England by
Atbelstan. During the Civil War they held out for
the King, afforded temporary shelter to Prince Charles,
and were captured by Blake. They now form part of
the Duchy of Cornwall.

Sclsset, vil., High Hoyland par., and eccl. dist.,
partly also in Emley par., S. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire
—dist., pop. 3324; vil., 4 miles NW. of Penistone ; P.O.

Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.

Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from

Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)

Page 702 left column ... Page 703 left column

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.