Stamford; P.O.—5. Stretton, eccl. dist. and township,
Burton upon Trent par., Staffordshire, on N. side of
Burton on Trent—dist. (Stretton cum AVetmoor), pop.
747; township, pop. 698.—6. Stretton, township and
vil., Penkridge par., Staffordshire—township, 1585 ac.,
pop.233; vil., 3 miles SW. of Penkridge; P.O.; Stretton
Hall and Stretton House are seats.
Stretton, Great, township, Glenn Magna par.,
Leicestershire, pop. 34; contains Stretton House, seat,
5 miles SE. of Leicester.
Stretton, Little.—township, Kings Norton par.,
Leicestershire, adjacent to Great Stretton, pop. 84.—
2. Stretton, Little, hamlet, in par. and 1¼ mile S. of
Church Stretton, Shropshire.
Stretton Baskerville, par., Warwickshire, 1¼ mile
SW. of Hinckley, 760 ac., pop. 45.
Stretton Grandison, par., Herefordshire, in E. of
co., 7 miles NW. of Ledbury, 710 ae., pop. 110.
Stretton Sngwas, par. and vil., Herefordshire—par.,
779 ac., pop. 303 ; vil., 3 miles NAA7. of Hereford; P.O.
Stretton cam Wetmoor, eccl. dist., Burton upon
Trent par., Staffordshire, pop. 747.
Stretton en le Field, par. and township, Derby-
shire, 4¼ miles SAV. of Ashby de la Zouch—par., 1008
ac., pop. 330; township, pop. 70; contains Stretton
Stretton on Dunsmore, par., township, and vil.,
Warwickshire—par., 3110 ac., pop. 978; township,
pop. 668; vil., 7 miles SE. of Coventry; P.O.
Stretton on the Foss, par. and vil., Warwickshire,
4 miles N. of Moreton in the Marsh, 1939 ac., pop. 388.
Stretton under Foss, township and vil., Monks
Kirby par., Warwickshire—township (Stretton under
Foss and Newbold Revel), pop. 314; vil., 5¼ miles NW.
of Rugby; P.O.
Strichcn, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Aberdeenshire
—par., 10,183 ac., pop. 2348; vil., on North Ugie
AYater, 10¼ miles SW. of Fraserburgh, pop. 1204 ; P.O.,
T.O., 2 Banks ; Strichen House, seat, is ¾ m. SW. of sta.
Strickland, Great and Little, 2 townships, Mor-
land par., AA7estmorland, 4 miles N. of Shap—Great
Strickland, 2339 ac., pop. 283; Little Strickland, 790ac.,
Strickland Kettle and Strickland Roger, 2 town-
ships, Kendal par., AVestmorland, 3 miles NAY. of
Kendal—Strickland Kettle, 2349 ac., pop. 613 ; Strick-
land Roger, 3210 ac., pop. 434.
Strid, The, chasm in the channel of river Wharfe, N.
div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles NW. of Bolton
Priory and 6 miles NE. of Skipton ; has a width of only
4 ft., and the waters of the Wharfe rush through it
with great impetuosity.
Striding Edge, easterly spur of Helvellyn, on AY.
border of AVestmorland, alt. 2500 ft.
Striguil (or Troggy) Castle, ancient ruined castle,
in AVent AYood, Monmouthshire, 4 miles SE. of Usk;
was built in the 12th century by Richard de Clare, Earl
of Pembroke, surnamed Strongbow, and is the pro-
perty of the Duke of Beaufort.
Strines, ry. sta., Derbyshire, 2 miles NW. of New
Mills sta. and 11¼ miles SE. of Manchester ; P.O.
Stringston, par., Somerset, 6 miles E. of Williton,
1193 ac., pop. 114.
Striven, Loch, an arm of the Firth of Clyde, Inver-
chaolain par., Argyllshire ; extends 9 miles NAY. from
the E. entrance to the Kyles of Bute.
Strixton, par., Northamptonshire, 4 miles S. of
Wellingborough sta., 889 ac., pop. 75.
Stroan, Loch, Kells par., Kirkcudbrightshire.
Stroanfreggan, school, Dairy par., Kirkcudbright.
Strode, seat, Dorset; post-town, Bridport.
Strogue Cross, 2 miles E. of Templemore, N. co. Tip-
perary ; P.O.
Strokestown, small market town, Bumlin and Kil-
trustan pars., in co. and 12 miles NE. of Roscommon,
and 15 miles NW. of Longford, pop. 837; P.O., T.O., 2
Banks. Market-day, Friday. Strokestown has trade
in grain, flax, and wool. Strokestown House, seat, is
Stroma, island, Canisbay par., Caithness, in the
Pentland Firth, 3¼ miles NW. of Duneansbay Head,
pop. 341; P.O.; measures about 7 miles in circuit.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)