Whiteway.—hundred, Dorset, in NE. of co., 13,644
ac., pop. 2553; contains 7 pars.—2. Whiteway, seat,
2 miles NE. of Chudleigh, Devon.
Whitcweli.—Herts. See Whit well.—2. Wkite-
well, eccl. dist., Whalley par., NE. Lancashire and N.
div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 7 miles NAY. of Clitheroe,
Whitewell, vil., Carnmoney par., SE. co. Antrim, 5
miles N. of Belfast, pop. 245; P.O.
Whitewoort, seat of A7iscount Gormanston, adjacent
to Kilmainham Wood ry. sta., N. co. Meath.
Whitfield.—eccl. dist., Glossop par., Derbyshire, on
S. side of Glossop, pop. 7854; P.O. ; has large cotton
factories.—2. Whitfield, seat, in co. and 7 m. SW. of
Hereford.—3. Whitfield (or Beauxficld), par. and vil.,
Kent—par.,913ac.,pop. 317; vil., 34 milesN. of Dover ;
P.O.—4. Whitfield, par. and vil., Northamptonshire,
24 miles NE. of Brackley, 1210 ac., pop. 213.—5. Whit-
field, par. and vil., Northumberland—par., 12,479 ac.,
pop. 298; vil., on river Allen, 84 miles SW. of Haydon
Bridge ; in vicinity is Whitfield Honse, seat.
Whitford.—par. and vil., Flintshire, in NW. of co.
—par. (containing Mostyn and part of Gorsedd), 8247
ac., pop. 4136; vil., 2 miles SAA7. of Mostyn sta. and 3
NAY. of Holywell; P.O. Large coal mines, limestone
quarries, and freestone quarries give employment to
the inhabitants; lead and zinc are also worked. Several
important seats are in the par.—2. Whitford, hamlet,
Shute par., Devon, 3 miles SW. of Axminster; P.O.
Whitgii't, par., township, and vil., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire—par., 9941 ac. (1033 water), pop.
2299 ; township, 1501 ac. (66 water), pop. 362 ; vil., on
river Ouse, 4 miles E. of Goole ; P.O.
Whitgreave, township, Stafford Saints Mary and
Chad par., in co. and 3 miles NAY. of Stafford, 1201
ac., pop. 150.
Whithorn, royal and police burgh, and par., Wig-
townshire, 12 f miles S. of Wigtown by rail—par.,
11,891 ac., pop. 2929; police burgh, pop. 1653; royal
burgh, pop. 1643; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day,
Thursday. AVhithorn is a place of great antiquity, and
has the ruins.of a cathedral, occupying the site of a
church founded (4th century) by StNinian—the Can-
dida Casa, and the earliest Christian church in Scot-
land. The shrine of St Ninian at Whithorn was long
a famous resort of pilgrimage. AYhithorn formed one
of the AVigtown District of parliamentary burghs, which
returned 1 member until 1885.
Whithorn, Isle of, vil., AVigtownshire. See Isle
Whiting Bay, vil. and bay, in SE. of Arran island,
Buteshire, on Whiting Bay, 4 miles SE. of Lamlash;
P.O., T.O.; the bay is separated from Lamlash Bay by
Whiting Bay, SW. co. Waterford, 2 miles E. of
Youghal Harbour ; is 2 miles wide at entrance.
Whitington, Norfolk. See AVhittington.
Whitkirk, par. and vil., West-Riding Yorkshire—
par. (containing the greater parts of Templenewsam
and Seacroft townships)—par., 5638 ac., pop. 3851; vil.,
4 miles E. of Leeds ; is an interesting place, with church
of the time of Henry VII. containing ancient monu-
ments; Wkitkirk House and several other seats are
in the par.
Wkitland,* vil. with ry. sta., Llanboidy par., Car-
marthenshire, on W. border of co., 6 miles NE. of
Narberth and 14 miles W. of Carmarthen ; P.O., T.O. ;
adjoining to the vil. is the seat of Wkitland Akbey,
occupying site of priory of 12th century.
Whitleigh, seat, in Budeaux par., Devon, 3 miles
N. of Plymouth.
Wkitletts, vil., St Quivox par., Ayrshire, 2 miles
NE. of Ayr; P.O.
Whitley.—township and vil. with ry. sta., Tyne-
mouth par., Northumberland, on the coast, 24 miles
N. of North Shields, 540 ac., pop. 1350; P.O., T.O.; is a
pleasant place with handsome seaside terrace. The
inhabitants find employment in working coal, lime-
stone, and ironstone. The township, together with
that of Monksheaton, forms a local government district
called AA7hitley and Monksheaton.—2. Whitley, ham-
let, Cumnor par., Berks, in NW. of co., 61 miles NW.
of Abingdon. — 3. Whitley, eccl. dist., Reading St
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)